View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Plasma 5 Fails to Start Reply with quote

I had what was essentially a broken Plasma 5 install (fonts weren't displaying properly and eventually various parts of KDE would crash or weren't working appropriately). I had tried installing a qt5 only environment (-qt4 and forced all kde4 parts to not be installed). As this clearly wasn't working I cleared my packages.{keyword,mask,unmask} entries related to KDE/Plasma and followed the Plasma upgrade wiki. This led to other problems in that, despite removing any masking/keywording that would have changed things on my end, I was getting a mixture of different versions of programs within plasma/frameworks/qt that led to build errors (some kde-plasma/* were 5.4.2 and others were 5.5.4, for example). I'm sticking to a 5.5.1/5.19.0/5.5.4 environment (qt,frameworks, and plasma respectively) and now SDDM will start, however after logging in no KDE/Plasma applications load. I believe that X is running okay because Steam starts without issue (though I haven't tried playing any games to see if they will work or not). In other words, SDDM will load, but after logging in from SDDM the last SDDM draw remains on screen until Steam starts, at which point steam seems to work okay.

Despite all this I'm not exactly sure what's working or not working. After trying to log in/reboot/re-login several times I started getting KWin errors (something stating that 'KWin was unstable' while I was still in SDDM, but clicking 'OK' or 'Cancel' both led to nothing happening). None of the other errors seem directly related to what's causing the problem (the nvidia error in dmesg - see below - caught my eye, but disabling uvesafb in grub doesn't make the error go away).

Below is some system information:
emerge --info
Xorg.0.log
xdm.log
dmesg (after boot)
dmesg tail (After force closing xdm)<- The segfault/stacktrace only come up after I force-stop XDM, but I figured this was worth pointing out.

I'm wondering if this the blank screen issue a others have come across.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
[ 1266.660831] kactivitymanage[3133]: segfault at 7f842a6aac50 ip 00007f8414014071 sp 00007ffc28860ba8 error 4 in libQt5Sql.so.5.5.1[7f8414000000+3f000]

Please try and rebuild (emerge -1) kactivities.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@alienjon,

Are you building your dev-qt/qt-*:5 libraries with the USE flags +egl +gles2 (noticing that you have +egl enabled globally) - that caused me a tonne of issues with the Nvidia driver (2 weeks of rebuilds / farting about)... Enabling +gles2 does disable Desktop GL support in the Qt5 libraries... I don't care if "Upstream recommends this" (cough) ... :lol:

I'd also rebuild the whole of the Plasma stack - I had black screen issues - when I just relied solely on Portage to figure out what needed to be rebuilt. In your case perhaps because there isn't a "hard" ABI / API bump from 5.4.2 to 5.5.1...

Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Please try and rebuild (emerge -1) kactivities.

No change.

BobWya wrote:
Are you building your dev-qt/qt-*:5 libraries with the USE flags +egl +gles2 (noticing that you have +egl enabled globally) - that caused me a tonne of issues with the Nvidia driver (2 weeks of rebuilds / farting about)... Enabling +gles2 does disable Desktop GL support in the Qt5 libraries... I don't care if "Upstream recommends this" (cough)

+gles2 disables GL support? In the past I recall that different iterations in GL would allow you to select them from within KDE (in system settings, usually). Whether this is related to the issue or not, do you recommend using EGL or GLES2 for QT5?

BobWya wrote:
I'd also rebuild the whole of the Plasma stack - I had black screen issues - when I just relied solely on Portage to figure out what needed to be rebuilt. In your case perhaps because there isn't a "hard" ABI / API bump from 5.4.2 to 5.5.1...

You mean all of kde-plasma/*?

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I also have Wayland enabled. SDDM allows me to try loading a Plasma version using Wayland, however I get the same results...
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:

+gles2 disables GL support? In the past I recall that different iterations in GL would allow you to select them from within KDE (in system settings, usually). Whether this is related to the issue or not, do you recommend using EGL or GLES2 for QT5?

Well it's not so much "what I recommend"... But from bitter experience!! I didn't exactly say it "disables GL support". It disables Desktop GL support - you still have compositing support through EGL/ GLES (i.e. mobile platform GL libraries). I believe Nvidia is "working towards" supporting this fully in it's proprietary driver. I just had a lot of graphical glitches (when compositing was enabled) - that's when I tried it out back in January - with Plasma 5 & LXQt ...

BobWya wrote:

You mean all of kde-plasma/*?

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I also have Wayland enabled. SDDM allows me to try loading a Plasma version using Wayland, however I get the same results...[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about the wayland USE flag being enabled - Plasma 5 / Kwin would run with a independent / separate binary for that: kwin_wayland (vs kwin_x11).

Using:
Code:
equery depends =dev-qt/qtsvg-5.5.1-r1

Only spits out (on my system):
Code:
kde-frameworks/kdelibs4support-5.19.0 (>=dev-qt/qtsvg-5.4.2:5)
kde-frameworks/kiconthemes-5.19.0 (>=dev-qt/qtsvg-5.4.2:5)
kde-frameworks/kjsembed-5.19.0 (>=dev-qt/qtsvg-5.4.2:5)
kde-frameworks/plasma-5.19.0-r1 (>=dev-qt/qtsvg-5.4.2:5)
kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools-5.5.4 (dev-qt/qtsvg:5)
kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.5.4 (dev-qt/qtsvg:5)

Slot :5 dependencies.

But if you switch off the egl , gles2 USE flags for dev-qt/*:5 then that would mean a larger rebuild... Certainly on all the package dependencies of the affected/ changed dev-qt/*:5 libraries!

So I'd perserver with your current settings. FYI I didn't get a black screen of doom - just somewhat broken Plasma 5 desktop effects / compositing support. So it should be pretty obvious if the latest Nvidia driver still doesn't support EGL / GLES2 very well... You can be a guinea pig - "think of the community" 8)

Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you were following the upgrade guide - I guess you have already checked the obvious things: read through the SDDM guide, made sure the sddm user is part of video group, configured consolekit, made a sanity check of /etc/pam.d/system-login (needs nox11 parameter)...

You're not using ZFS, by chance?

You could also try without the dedicated GPU for once, disabling it in BIOS.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobWya wrote:
Well it's not so much "what I recommend"... But from bitter experience!! I didn't exactly say it "disables GL support". It disables Desktop GL support - you still have compositing support through EGL/ GLES (i.e. mobile platform GL libraries). I believe Nvidia is "working towards" supporting this fully in it's proprietary driver. I just had a lot of graphical glitches (when compositing was enabled) - that's when I tried it out back in January - with Plasma 5 & LXQt

I'm glad you mentioned this as I had some compositing issues myself. I removed the forced +egl +gles2 (and +wayland too) and updated world just to make sure this wasn't related to the problem. Short answer? No: still won't load.

genstorm wrote:
Since you were following the upgrade guide - I guess you have already checked the obvious things: read through the SDM guide, made sure the SDM user is part of the video group, configured console kit, made a sanity check of /etc/pam.d/system-login (needs nox11 parameter)...

I just triple checked the plasma upgrade guide and I believe I've followed it to the letter (I skipped the layman part - things are unstable enough as it is). I did run through the SDDM and consolekit guides as well (SDDM and my user are in the video group). The pam_ck_connector.so line with the nox11 option is added to /etc/pam.d/system-login as well.

Also, I tried a few other things noted in the plasma upgrade guide:
dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startkde:
$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server
(note that there are quotes around the 'startkde' path, but I can't add them in BBCode)

sddm --example-config > /etc/sddm.conf:

(This one made me wonder if it was an SDDM configuration issue. I ran the command and updated the file with a few customizations (default username and numlock status).

I can confirm that the activities segfault relating to the qtsql library ONLY happens after I force-stop xdm. Dmesg doesn't show anything interesting upon starting xdm or trying to load plasma. What's really driving me nuts is that I can't seem to find any error to really point me in the right direction. It's like I have a broken system that doesn't know it isn't working as it should.

genstorm wrote:
You're not using ZFS, by chance?

Ext4 for root, ext2 (I believe it is) for boot, swap (for swap), and loading an ntfs storage drive and a samba share.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
BobWya wrote:
Well it's not so much "what I recommend"... But from bitter experience!! I didn't exactly say it "disables GL support". It disables Desktop GL support - you still have compositing support through EGL/ GLES (i.e. mobile platform GL libraries). I believe Nvidia is "working towards" supporting this fully in it's proprietary driver. I just had a lot of graphical glitches (when compositing was enabled) - that's when I tried it out back in January - with Plasma 5 & LXQt

I'm glad you mentioned this as I had some compositing issues myself. I removed the forced +egl +gles2 (and +wayland too) and updated world just to make sure this wasn't related to the problem. Short answer? No: still won't load.

That change didn't work for me - till I also re-build the "crucially dependent" Plasma 5 packages. I am not sure the ebuild's fully expose all the dependencies to Portage...

I would recommend:
Code:
equery list -F'=$cpv:$slot' kde-frameworks/* | xargs emerge -v
equery list -F'=$cpv:$slot' kde-plasma/* | xargs emerge -v

That may build too many packages. But it should work... After all I did sit staring at a blank/ black SDDM screen for ~2 weeks - until I did something similar to this... :wink:

Bob
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will also pollute your world file with all the frameworks and plasma packages, so please DON'T do that or add at least --oneshot (-1) to emerge.

@BobWya: Much more convenient way to do it imo:
Code:
# emerge -1 $(qlist -CI kde-frameworks/*)
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran genstorm's suggestion, but also ran it for kde-plasma and dev-qt.

The result was a little interesting. Some packages came up as keyworded, but already installed:
=KDE-frameworks/kf-env-3
=KDE-frameworks/kwidgetsaddons-5.19.0
=KDE-frameworks/extra-cake-modules-5.19.0
=KDE-plasma/political-KDE-agent-5.5.4

Others were still installed as the older version:
=dev-qt/qtscript-5.4.2-r1
=dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.4.2
=KDE-plasma/oxygen-fonts-5.4.3 <- I should note that this is the highest version available. There is no 5.5.*
=KDE-frameworks/oxygen-icons-4.14.3

And others still weren't keyworded, but hadn't installed (and was the wrong version):
=dev-at/qttranslations-5.4.2

I'm going to run all of these builds while I'm at work today and let you guys know how it goes when I get home. I don't know if any of the messed up packages will fix the problem (or rebuilding the others could) but I'll run the emerge while I go to work and let you guys know later {fingers crossed}
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
It will also pollute your world file with all the frameworks and plasma packages, so please DON'T do that or add at least --oneshot (-1) to emerge.

Ahhh yes - good point!! 8)

Heh, heh and I wonder why my world file is sooo big :oops:
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
=dev-qt/qtscript-5.4.2-r1

That could very well explain your trouble with plasmashell. Didn't we think we were past that in an older thread? ;)

Quote:
=KDE-frameworks/extra-cake-modules-5.19.0
=KDE-plasma/political-KDE-agent-5.5.4

Nice reinventions btw :lol:
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge -1 =KDE-frameworks/extra-cake-modules-5.19.0
Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=KDE-frameworks/extra-cake-modules-5.19.0".

:cry:
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full rebuild seems to have done the trick. I'm {finally} writing this from my Plasma environment and not my iPad (hence all the STUPID AUTO-CORRECTS). It seemed to load a bit slower than I would have expected, but I'll check the logs and see if anything else is up. Thanks so much for all the help! :-)
symon1980
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that a rebuild did indeed fix the issue for me too. It was a fresh install funny enough... Not sure why this is an issue. I was stuck for a few days on this... Thanks guys
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: