View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: sddm and nvidia not allowing user past password entry Reply with quote

Finally got around to backing my way into plasma and having to give up kdm. Anyway I sucessfully got a stable kde desktop with a radeon card to let me use sddm as the replacement. However I had an unstable desktop with a nvidia card and nvidia-driver setup that just sits there after I hit return enter on keypad or tab after doing the user's password. I had a bit more success trying to use lightdm in place of sddm so that I could at least get a password entered.

To further muddle things, I just now had to clone the stable ati desktop over to another box whose system drive died. That one also has an nvidia card. After I emerged the nvidia drivers, the sddm that was just fine with ATI support and password entry is now showing the exact same password stall while using nvidia. What gives?

On a somewhat related note, I wish the gui nazi's would cease and desist the whole showing list of users thing by default without realizing that it's a security issue (or a PITA if you are in a huge directory). :evil:
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you add sddm user to video group?
What version of pam is installed?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: plasma startup may be crap Reply with quote

It wouldn't be sddm or pam because, like I said, this system drive is literally a clone of a working sddm setup taken from an AMD piledriver system running with an ati adapter. It went into another piledriver that runs an nvidia card instead.

I suspect the plasma session for the user may be the culprit. I also tried a blank Xsession session and got a background but not much else. You would think that if sddm had troubles starting up something it would at least pop up an error box and not act like the password never got entered.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound stupid but it happens. Which DE/WM are you loading in sddm? There can be plasma media center, plasma and I believe plasma (failsafe). Do they all do the same thing? If you have (or want to try) something like fluxbox installed and you try to login using it does it then work?

I vaguely recall a problem (weird bug) with the theme/wallpaper where if set to some such thing it would behave as you are describing. Can you try creating a sddm.conf and/or changing the theme to perhaps Oxygen or something else to experiment?
(Here is a similar problem they saw in Arch Linux a few months back: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=207780 )

Also check the Gentoo and Arch sddm Wiki entries as well as the man page. You can hide users if you like. You can do this within your sddm.conf.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to update a system copy with nvidia drivers and also got similar and strange results like unresponsive X session after typing sddm password.
The problem was nvidia opengl which seems not to work with sddm/plasma. "eselect opengl list" and selecting xorg-x11 for opengl cured this. However I do not know whether this imcapts performance, but it was necessary to be able to start the freshly emerged kde 5 / sddm system.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: killing kwin4? Reply with quote

I'm back to looking at my startup issues with nvidia today.

I have two gentoo stable amd64 boxes, one with amd radeon, one with nvidia, and then a third unstable amd64 box with an nvidia. The stable nvidia box is literally a clone of the stable amd box with nvidia-drivers taking over the graphics. Both nvidia boxes have session startup issues and I'm now back to trying to just startup from a console as user with startkde so that I can strace and debug more easily. As I have noted before, the radeon based box appears to work getting plasma up, but it is a few steps backward by breaking plug and play of my media and other missing features.

All three have the following preserved library conflict with kwin4 wanting to get back in instead of kwin5 and I want to get this resolved hopefully by just unmerging kwin4:

Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: kde-base/kwin-4.11.22
 *  - /usr/lib64/libkdecorations.so.4
 *  - /usr/lib64/libkdecorations.so.4.14.16
 *      used by /usr/lib64/kde4/kwin3_kde2.so (kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles-15.08.3)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/kde4/kwin3_keramik.so (kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles-15.08.3)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/kde4/kwin3_modernsys.so (kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles-15.08.3)
 *      used by 3 other files
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries
thufir portage # emerge -pv @preserved-rebuild

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kwin-4.11.22:4/4.11::gentoo  USE="opengl (-aqua) -debug -gles -wayland" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles-15.08.3:4/15.08::gentoo  USE="(-aqua) -debug" 0 KiB
[blocks B      ] kde-base/kwin:4 ("kde-base/kwin:4" is blocking kde-plasma/kwin-5.5.5)

Total: 2 packages (1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(kde-plasma/kwin-5.5.5:5/5::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=kde-plasma/kwin-5.5.5:5 required by (kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.5.5:5/5::gentoo, installed)
    >=kde-plasma/kwin-5.5.5:5 required by (kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.5.5:5/5::gentoo, installed)
    >=kde-plasma/kwin-5.5.5:5 required by (kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.5.5-r2:5/5::gentoo, installed)

(kde-base/kwin-4.11.22:4/4.11::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=kde-base/kwin-4.11:4[aqua=] (>=kde-base/kwin-4.11:4[-aqua]) required by (kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles-15.08.3:4/15.08::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you need to unmerge the package that requires kwin:4, which is kdeartwork-styles in your case.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: well that worked Reply with quote

I would have thought that there were still deps on kdeartwork-styles since there was a 5.x version, but emerge -C only killed it and nothing else. That also worked without problems on a 4.14 version I got rid of over on a hardened profile.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Keywords for kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles:
        |                                 | u         | 
        | a a   a         n   p r     s   | n         | 
        | l m   r h i m m i   p i s   p   | u s       | r
        | p d a m p a 6 i o p c s 3   a x | s l       | e
        | h 6 r 6 p 6 8 p s p 6 c 9 s r 8 | e o       | p
        | a 4 m 4 a 4 k s 2 c 4 v 0 h c 6 | d t       | o
--------+---------------------------------+-----------+-------
 4.14.3 | o + ~ o o o o o o + + o o o o + | o 4/4.14  | gentoo
--------+---------------------------------+-----------+-------
15.08.3 | o + o o o o o o o o o o o o o + | o 4/15.08 | gentoo

There is no KF5 version.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: say what...!!!? Reply with quote

Ok so why does my unstable have a /var/db/pkg/kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles-15.08.3?

Maybe somebody decided to kill the ~amd64 ebuild between apr 6th and when you got that listing
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: still on one of my stables too Reply with quote

I also have that ebuild still merged on one of my stable boxes from apr 2nd.
mirekm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to create directory:
/var/lib/sddm
owned by user sddm.

After that you, when you login, sddm will put there some information, that could be useful for you.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: say what...!!!? Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
Ok so why does my unstable have a /var/db/pkg/kde-apps/kdeartwork-styles-15.08.3?

That is NOT a KF5 version :D
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: making some progress Reply with quote

Login session still cycles immeditately back to lightdm when trying to start a plasma session. I moved the old user's .kde4 out of the way and tried again. The resulting .xession-errors looks like:

Code:

startplasmacompositor: Starting up...
startplasmacompositor: Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus?

Taking that down and running from console with a startkde and a trace shows the kcheckrunning is coming back with $?=2 and then startkde exits with a whine about DISPLAY not being set. It's been so long since I started everything by hand like this but shouldn't startkde do something like a startx for me if doesn't find an X server running?

Anyway, I have things working by doing a startx by hand to get some term windows in X and then doing startkde from one of them to get plasma up and running.

Now could somebody tell me why the default mode for the new konqueror is filelight? I had to begrudgingly switch over to dolphin :x
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: opengl set to nvidia still has issues Reply with quote

I don't have a panel at the bottom with opengl set to nvidia, but at least it re-appears when I go back to xorg.

Meanwhile over on a kaveri running gentoo hardened profile, I can't even run startkde by hand. It tries, but I'm guessing grsecurity is screwing up things. So I just have good ole xterms without even a window manager there. I should emerge twm for old times sake to see whether that works :D
mirekm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: making some progress Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:

Taking that down and running from console with a startkde and a trace shows the kcheckrunning is coming back with $?=2 and then startkde exits with a whine about DISPLAY not being set. It's been so long since I started everything by hand like this but shouldn't startkde do something like a startx for me if doesn't find an X server running?

I had the same issue because of lack of the directory /var/lib/sddm.
In this directory sddm create some dbus session information.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Will try later Reply with quote

I'll look into sddm again after I have finished updating the stable profile nvidia box. I'm switching over from udev to eudev so there are 300+ ebuilds getting re-emerged with static-libs turned on. I wanted to make sure that any thought of a systemd use flag sneaking in and mucking things up was removed from the equation. Don't know why I let that get past me all of this time even with -systemd set :roll:

Things on the unstable nvidia box look like this but I don't remember whether I put user sddm into video before or after this attempt:

Code:
$ ls -al /var/lib/sddm
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 1 sddm root  48 Apr 17 17:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 940 May  1 03:10 ..
drwx------ 1 sddm sddm  22 Apr 17 17:15 .dbus
drwx------ 1 sddm sddm  14 Apr 17 17:24 .nv
-rw------- 1 sddm sddm  45 Apr 27 09:17 .xsession-errors
bsharer@figo ~ $ su -
SSH passphrase:
figo ~ # cd /var/lib/sddm
figo sddm # cat .xsession-errors
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
figo sddm # ls -l /dev/dri
total 0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,   0 May  2 00:06 card0
crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 128 May  2 00:06 renderD128
figo sddm # grep video /etc/group
video:x:27:root,gdm,mythtv,sddm
figo sddm # ls -l /var/lib/sddm/.dbus
total 0
drwx------ 1 sddm sddm 68 Apr 17 17:15 session-bus
figo sddm # ls -l /var/lib/sddm/.dbus/session-bus
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 sddm sddm 463 Apr 27 09:17 ca4b2685f7dab050824078e50000000c-0
figo sddm # file /var/lib/sddm/.dbus/session-bus/ca4b2685f7dab050824078e50000000c-0
/var/lib/sddm/.dbus/session-bus/ca4b2685f7dab050824078e50000000c-0: ASCII text
figo sddm # cat /var/lib/sddm/.dbus/session-bus/ca4b2685f7dab050824078e50000000c-0
# This file allows processes on the machine with id ca4b2685f7dab050824078e50000000c using
# display :0 to find the D-Bus session bus with the below address.
# If the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable is set, it will
# be used rather than this file.
# See "man dbus-launch" for more details.
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-EFTI7JdXgP,guid=69da8c2f07377cba5972bd8c5720bbd9
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=4742
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID=6291457
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: nvidia opengl and kde taskbar still toast Reply with quote

After messing around with startx and then running a startkde by hand from one of the resulting xterms, I noticed the nvidia opengl settings is indeed making my kde taskbar basically invisible. If I go back to to xorg on the opengl setting I can get it to appear again. Does anybody know if or what version this gets fixed? I tried turning off the compositor and then restarting with nvidia opengl enabled, but that doesn't appear to work. It's very annoying since the gpu fan blows high and video playback basically blows. Also forget about any 3d such as game playing in wine.

On the bright side, kdm appears to still work although it will break the next time I need to emerge it:

Code:
# emerge -pv kdm

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] kde-apps/kdepasswd-15.12.3:4/15.12::gentoo  USE="handbook (-aqua) -debug" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/kdm-4.11.22:4/4.11::gentoo  USE="consolekit handbook kerberos pam (-aqua) -debug -systemd" 0 KiB
[blocks B      ] kde-apps/kdepasswd ("kde-apps/kdepasswd" is blocking kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.3)

Total: 2 packages (1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.3:5/5::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    kde-plasma/plasma-desktop required by @selected

(kde-apps/kdepasswd-15.12.3:4/15.12::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=kde-apps/kdepasswd-4.11.22:4[aqua=] (>=kde-apps/kdepasswd-4.11.22:4[-aqua]) required by (kde-base/kdm-4.11.22:4/4.11::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

I guess I'll go back to trying to beat sddm and/or lightdm into submission at some point but not until kdm stops working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: