[SOLVED] PulseAudio on top of ALSA/dmix
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] PulseAudio on top of ALSA/dmix Reply with quote

Since nowadays it's getting more common for (mostly proprietary) software to expect PulseAudio to be available, I wanted to figure out if there's a way to use it only where needed, without missing up my existing ALSA setup. As it is, I have an essentially perfect setup where everything uses dmix and I could, if I wanted to, make a dozen applications play their sounds all at once in a horrid cacophony. I want to add PulsaAudio-only applications to that cacophony, without requiring me to reconfigure my whole system to use PA -- i.e. I want PA to output to dmix, so that saner applications can continue to use ALSA at the same time, and I can handle the volume through ALSA as well. So my question is: is this possible (within reasonable values of "possible", of course), and if so, how do I do it?

One caveat: my system uses OpenRC and eudev. I am not touching that steaming pile of 馬屎 systemd (*spits on ground*) with a forty-foot barge pole.

Normally I'd just try to figure it out myself (that's part of what makes Gentoo fun!), but at this moment I have precious little time, so I want to make sure this is even doable before I go and hose my perfect setup.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by McLink on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/asound.conf and /etc/libao.conf files can be set to use Alsa/Dmix by default. Than configure your multimedia applications to use Alsa by default. It will reduce the need to use Pulseaudio when possible.

For applications who must use Pulseaudio, you have an answer at 4.1.1 ALSA/dmix without grabbing hardware device.

Last edited by Logicien on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I'll try it out once I get the time, then. :)

ETA: actually, I had some time to spare just now, and it all went smoothly! Cheers!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: