g-cpan error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: g-cpan error Reply with quote

I recently tried to run g-cpan for the first time in quite a while, and I got a somewhat nasty looking set of errors. After googling a bit, I just updated from 0.16.5 to 0.16.6, which dragged in an upgrade to dev-perl/Shell-EnvImporter-1.70.0-r2, which did seem related to the errors. After that things are much better, but I still get an error:
sudo g-cpan -l:
* ERROR READING /profiles/arch.list: No such file or directory
In looking at the g-cpan code, it looks like /profiles/arch.list is preceeded by $PORTDIR. I do not have PORTDIR defined anywhere, and
man make.conf:
Defines the location of main repository. This variable is deprecated in favor of settings in repos.conf.
I got g-cpan to work by manually exporting PORTDIR, pointing to the root of my portage tree, but it seems this is something it should be able to figure out by itself. Is this something worth filing a bug about, or might I have other configuration issues also?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: g-cpan error Reply with quote

genterminl wrote:
[...] it looks like /profiles/arch.list is preceeded by $PORTDIR. I do not have PORTDIR defined anywhere, and
man make.conf:
Defines the location of main repository. This variable is deprecated in favor of settings in repos.conf.
I got g-cpan to work by manually exporting PORTDIR, pointing to the root of my portage tree, but it seems this is something it should be able to figure out by itself. Is this something worth filing a bug about, or might I have other configuration issues also?

genterminl ... so while its nolonger defined in make.conf anyhing that needs to define/query should use 'portageq', ie:

Code:
PORTDIR="$(portageq get_repo_path $(portageq envvar EROOT) gentoo)"

Some things still haven't been updated to reflect this change, and I expect this is what you're seeing from g-cpan.pl. You could file a bug, and/or check the script to see how it's getting $PORTDIR, replacing it with the above syntax.

best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g-cpan seems like it hasn't been maintained in a long time. You'd probably be better off taking an existing dev-perl ebuild and modifying it.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug filed and already got a response, so hopefully some support for g-cpan is actually available.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: