View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: KDE: vlc and qt4 and qt5 USE flags [solved] Reply with quote

I'm trying to get kdebase-meta on the pc. But it doesn't want to emerge because of conflicting qt4 and qt5 flags.

It all turns around media-video/vlc. It demands or "-qt4 qt5" or "qt4 -qt5". But whatever combination of (-)qt4, (-)qt5 (or leaving the flags out) I choose this gives conflicts with phonon, phonon-vlc, polkit etc.

I tried adding the file /etc/portage/package.mask/vlc with in that "media-video/vlc" in the hope it would simply leave out vlc (I never use it anyway) but that doesn't work, it still wants vlc with this

Code:
The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
 qt4? ( !qt5 ) qt5? ( !qt4 )

How can I get out of this mess?

Last edited by Spanik on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First make sure you are using the correct profile.

"eselect profile list"

For Plasma you probably want one of these:

Code:

[8]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma
  [9]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd *

Then try clearing any qt5 or qt4 use flags you have set in make.conf.

Now do a world update with changed use flags:

"emerge -uavDN @world"

Finally make the needed changes to choose one use flag (qt5 or qt4) for the needed packages in package.use, if needed. But if you chose the proper profile and are not specifying qt5 or qt4 in make.conf you probably won't have to specify one in package.use as it will automatically select one for you. At least this is how it works for me. It chose qt5 without me havign to specify it in package.use because I am using the 'plasma/systemd' profile.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have selected the profile default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde. No systemd for me.I have done the complete install with this profile so far and never changed it from when I selected it following the handbook.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
I have selected the profile default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde. No systemd for me.I have done the complete install with this profile so far and never changed it from when I selected it following the handbook.

Are you wanting kde4 or Plasma 5 for the DE?

If Plasma then you should use a Plasma profile. It will handle a lot of problems like this for you automatically. One is for systemd, the other is for openRC, etc.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tought about it, selected the first profile with KDE and no systemd. How stable is 5? Problem with kde is that each time they release a major number you're in for a complete rebuild.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Never tought about it, selected the first profile with KDE and no systemd. How stable is 5? Problem with kde is that each time they release a major number you're in for a complete rebuild.

It's pretty good now in my opinion. I find it to be stable for me and cna now have it running for weeks without a crash (nvidia binary + systemd + sddm + plasma 5 on ~amd64). There are some missing things like the ratings are a bit messed up in Dolphin and the restoration of some applications from a session or activity is not always happening but other than that I'm not having problems. The thing about kde4 is that development has mostly stopped and all the individual applications have either switched or are in the process of switching over. So as time goes on it is just going to rust more. Most major Linux distros have switched over to Plasma 5 from kde4.

Also see this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1040846.html

but keep in mind that a lot of people just hate change too. :)

Also upgrades are a little different now. It's not like kde4 where everything was often upgraded at once. Now it is split into three main categories:

Frameworks - the base functionality needed by Plasma and other apps.
Plasma - Pretty much the part you think of when you think of a DE (the operating environment)
Applications - the individual applications bundled with KDE normally such as Dolphin. These rely on the two above.

These all tend to update at different times so the upgrade pain is less at any given time though it is more frequent. Of course with Gentoo you can mask stuff if you aren't ready to upgrade.

Only you can decide what is best for you but if you are the type who absolutely hates any change at all and would be upset if even the smallest feature was gone then you are probably better on kde4 still. For everyone else Plasma 5 is probably the better option unless you know for a fact there is a problem with your hardware or some missing feature you need.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE: vlc and qt4 and qt5 USE flags Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Code:
I still stay at the kde profile - therefore I do have these USE flags:
Code:
tfoerste@t44 ~/devel/ejabberd $ grep qt[45] /etc/portage/package.use/z_misc
app-text/poppler    qt4
app-office/akonadi-server  qt4 -qt5
media-video/smplayer    qt4 -qt5
media-video/vlc                         qt4 -qt5
net-analyzer/wireshark        -qt5
net-print/hplip                                                         qt4
net-wireless/wpa_supplicant   -qt4
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: KDE: vlc and qt4 and qt5 USE flags Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
I'm trying to get kdebase-meta on the pc. But it doesn't want to emerge because of conflicting qt4 and qt5 flags.

It all turns around media-video/vlc. It demands or "-qt4 qt5" or "qt4 -qt5". But whatever combination of (-)qt4, (-)qt5 (or leaving the flags out) I choose this gives conflicts with phonon, phonon-vlc, polkit etc.

I tried adding the file /etc/portage/package.mask/vlc with in that "media-video/vlc" in the hope it would simply leave out vlc (I never use it anyway) but that doesn't work, it still wants vlc with this

Code:

Try this in package.use

Code:

media-video/smplayer  qt5 -qt4

If you prefer qt4, switch the minus sign around. I just hit this too. Basically, you have to enable one USE flag and disable the other USE flag. It doesn't want you to just enable or disable one USE flag.

Hope that helps. After the regular updates, I'm going to look into this 5 thingy. I've never even heard of sddm or whatever it is that is replacing kdm. 8O

:D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
marax_faraii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: KDE: vlc and qt4 and qt5 USE flags Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:

Code:

- I got similiar issues. Several packages requires to be upgraded to qt5 looking like it't trying to upgrade my KDE4 to plasma 5 for some reason. Today's sync only brought in a few updates but the useflag changes causes almost an entire rebuild of KDE.

Figured I'll wait a day or two and sync my portage tree again.

<EDIT>

Found that workspaces are EOL and it's advisable to move forward to plasma.
http://www.calculate-linux.org/blogs/en
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it solved with adding media-video/vlc -qt4 qt to package.use and just kept qt5 in the use flags.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: