View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BastiL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Update to KDE Plasma 5 - Desktop empty, no taskbar, nothing Reply with quote

Hello all,

as described above a updated my ~x86-64 to Plasma 5 yesterday comming from kde4.

I had some troubles with blocks but finally got it running. Since sddm only gives me a black screen I decided for lightdm which seems to run smooth.

However, after logging into Plasma I only get a empty desktop with a black square in the left top corner. This square somehow seems to belong to hplib, since I can access thair context menu from there. However, this is th eonly thing I can do. No taskbar, no terminal, nothing.

What might be wrong there? Thanks.

BastiL
ffyring
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to KDE Plasma 5 - Desktop empty, no taskbar, noth Reply with quote

BastiL wrote:

I had some troubles with blocks but finally got it running. Since sddm only gives me a black screen I decided for lightdm which seems to run smooth.

Regarding sddm, have you tried setting sddm in the video group:
Code:
 usermod -a -G video sddm
BastiL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to KDE Plasma 5 - Desktop empty, no taskbar, noth Reply with quote

ffyring wrote:

Regarding sddm, have you tried setting sddm in the video group:
Code:
 usermod -a -G video sddm

Yes I did but without success. However this is not my problem right now I am happy with lightdm.

Having a desktop I can work with would definitly be of interest for me. By the way it might be possible I still have some packages from kde4 missed to cleanup, e.g. I realized I still have pykde.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install plasma-5? Did you follow the upgrade guide? It would have told you that having KDE4-based packages around is just according to plan.
BastiL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
How did you install plasma-5? Did you follow the upgrade guide? It would have told you that having KDE4-based packages around is just according to plan.

I followed the upgrade guide in wide ranges. I emerged plasma-meta.
I had a problem with a not running world emerge - therefore I could not perform the cleanup. This may be an issue that is still persisting.
Furthermore I had lots of troubles with bloks end therefore tried to remove kde4 completely - also a difference to the upgrade guide.

I am currently trying to run a world update but I have a strange block between xorg-drivers-1.18-r1 and xf86-input-evdev-2.10.0. I will open up another post for this.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do the upgrade, you should certainly try to get your system into a consistent state. Without the cleanup step it is bound to be painful.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah going from kde4 to plasma 5 without a world update is going to be a huge mess. You would be better off either reinstalling (pretty extreme and not something I would personally do but might be easier for you) or going back to kde4, fixing your world update issues, then upgrade to plasma 5 by following the Gentoo Wiki. You'll still almost certainly hit some blocks (I almost always did) but they should be far easier to resolve. A trick for resolving blocks besides the usual backtrack=500 or such is that often you can just --unmerge the conflicting packages and that will often solve it so you can move on. It's supposed to handle it automatically but sometimes things get messed up or more complicated.

Also sometimes starting with clean kde related profiles (config files) helps with weird runtime errors and states. It's not supposed to be an issue but sometimes due to bugs it is. For example deleting (ior better yet moving it to ".kde4_bak") the .kde4 directory is one thing which I had to in the past.
BastiL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have a clean system now after a few days of work. Emerge -avuND world is done. However, Plasma 5 is still showing an empty desktop even though it got completely recompiled during the update.

So I want to follow the proposal to go back to kde4 and update using the guide once more. How to go back to kde4? I guess a emerge kde-meta should do most of the tricks but is there a need to remove Plasma5? If yes, how?

Thanks.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it makes absolutely no sense to go back to KDE4 only to do the upgrade once again. Please show emerge --info; also, is there anything to see in ~/.xsession-errors or your Xorg.log?
charlton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem too after an upgrade from plasma 5.5.5 to 5.6.1. It seems the taskbar and everything else dies right after it starts. I wonder if the current plasma on gentoo is stable at all.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rockstable for me - the recent updates felt much more like 5.5.6 and 5.5.7 than a new major release. What version of Qt are you using? Did you upgrade within a running session?
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton wrote:
I have this problem too after an upgrade from plasma 5.5.5 to 5.6.1. It seems the taskbar and everything else dies right after it starts. I wonder if the current plasma on gentoo is stable at all.

I can report - that having worked out the "kinks"... I'm running a very stable Plasma 5.6.1. Suspend/resume - check. All Desktop effects (cube, wobbly windows, cover-switch windows, etc.) - check. Access TTY consoles (in UEFI boot) - check. Legacy Qt4 stuff running OK - check.

I was very displeased with Plasma 5 initially - I've been playing around with it - since it landed in Arch and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Having made the switch, on Gentoo, in January (2016) and stuck with it (threatening to "throw in the towel" many times!!) I'm starting to warm to the change 8) There's really no going back anyway - it's not like Gnome 2/Mate - KDE4/ Qt4 is really only on life-support now... The combined codebase is way too big for a core group of developers to pick up and maintain.

Some of the problems I had where old KDE 4 "cruft" I'd forgotten about (like: eselect qtgraphicssystem set opengl - which needed to be native). Plus old KDE4 configuration settings can "get in the way" - since Plasma 5 may try to copy them over to the Qt5 version of the app.

The other major issue I had was with selecting a Qt5 configuration... I mistakenly enabled egl (and thereby gles2 by the backdoor) - on the dev-qt/*:5 library packages - which I later figured out will disable Desktop GL support (which wasn't so good with older Nvidia drivers)!!

Also I found out that Portage doesn't propagate build changes/USE flag changes from dev-qt/*:5 packages to dependent framework and plasma packages (you've just got to manually rebuild them). 3 weeks of staring at a black/blank SDDM screens - over that one... :roll:

Good luck! 8)
Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: