View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoidie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: KDE 5 - How is it? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been toying with updating to KDE 5 and was after some feedback from anyone who uses it. The upgrade process on the wiki looks relatively straight forward and whilst I appreciate it isn't marked as stable yet, it seems like it has been around for a while now and does look quite nice!

The forum is relatively quiet on the topic so either few people are using it or it works well. Is there any major reason against upgrading? Or does anybody know when it might be marked as stable and replace KDE4 anyway.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any major reason against upgrading?

I see no reason not to upgrade.
colinxp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have upgraded to plasma 5 without problem. It runs quite stable on my computer.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the latest ebuilds from kde overlay, Plasma 5 works very well on my workplace laptop.

There are still minor issues and annoyances, and not all applications have been ported to KF 5 already (see KF5 Porting Status), but apart from that everything is fine.

The most important issues on my system are:
  • Some legacy system tray icons, like from davmail, do not show up reliably.
  • Switching the main monitor when plugging in/out a secondary monitor isn't done automatically like in KDE 4. I have to do it using the system settings. And then the panel does not alwys move automatically and has to be moved by hand.
Apart from these two, rather minor issues, everything is well. At least on my system. ;-)
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some legacy system tray icons, like from davmail, do not show up reliably.

it's java problem.
zoidie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll give it a go then.... This may take some time!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Switching the main monitor when plugging in/out a secondary monitor isn't done automatically like in KDE 4. I have to do it using the system settings. And then the panel does not alwys move automatically and has to be moved by hand.

Have you filed a bug for that? This close to release, it's the kind of thing that needs polish.

Glad it's working out, generally. :-)
msst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any major reason against upgrading?

For instance that it is still changing a lot from version to version causing small issues and sometimes bigger ones in the update process.

Currently okular is e.g. bogged for me. Still looking what causes it and recompiling the whole qt stuff atm.

And such things happen on and off. I guess it is years from beeing reasonably stable and settled. But it is nice to play around with.

Also some things seem to be simply unsupported as of know, such as a working session management with virtual desktops.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mas- wrote:
Currently okular is e.g. bogged for me. Still looking what causes it and recompiling the whole qt stuff atm.

What version of okular are you speaking of?

okular:4 is as stable as ever, and this is the one you will get through proper Applications releases.
okular:5 is only available as a live version, so problems are expected.
HerbMillerJW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been my daily driver for about two months now. No more problems than you have with any other desktop.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe nobody's posting because their Plasma 5 Desktops are all broken? :lol:

Posted from my Nexus 7 :wink:
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
The most important issues on my system are:[list][*]Some legacy system tray icons, like from davmail, do not show up reliably.

That should actually be fixed - not a single systray issue here since Plasma 5.5.5.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it several times in the last year and a half or so. It's much better and is rock solid stable for me now where I can run it for weeks without a crash or freeze. It used to be different in the past where there were graphics issues and memory leaks. In my experience those are gone. I'm using ~amd64 without the overlay but I\'ve been considering giving the kde-overlay a try to some degree as I have in the past (for a few months I was even using all live 9999 versions).

I did notice Frameworks 5.20 hasn't made it yet to ~amd64. When it does hopefully (as usual) things are even better as I believe from the release notes there were many bug fixes. However there is always the risk of regressions. I'm not sure how it will be this time but in the past I've seen some bad regressions so if it is important you are better off having a test machine or waiting a bit to see what others experience before performing a major Frameworks/Applications/Plasma upgrade.
zoidie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've made it. Install went well and was greeted by the shiny new login manager only to be taken to a black screen on login! Appears to be some problems with egl/nvidia somewhere along the line. At the moment I've got round it by changing opengl to xorg-11. At least I can explore for a bit now!
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoidie wrote:
Well I've made it. Install went well and was greeted by the shiny new login manager only to be taken to a black screen on login! Appears to be some problems with egl/nvidia somewhere along the line. At the moment I've got round it by changing opengl to xorg-11. At least I can explore for a bit now!

Ah that's great!! 8) Not the black screen bit obviously... 8O

If you can bear to wade through this forum thread... You're not the only one with the black screen of doom problem. :x The tl;dr version is that:
  1. Nvidia's egl/gles2 desktop drivers aren't ready to run KWin 5 (yet) - i.e. building the Qt 5 libraries with these USE flags. I've tested this configuration...
  2. If you do change the Qt 5 egl,gles2 USE flags - don't rely on Portage to re-build the necessary frameworks and plasma packages ('cause it won't)
  3. Currently Gentoo has a bit of dodgy way of switching GL libraries that may make the proprietary drivers a bit flaky - especially when you try to use EGL/GLES2 compositing. (So much so that I forked the eselect-opengl switching mechanism in my Overlay). Heated debate on Bugzilla over that...

Since I spent 2-3 weeks staring a black SDDM screen and experiencing broken compositing I can put up with having to manually a lot of the Qt 5.6.0 libraries just to get them to build... On to the new shiny 8)

Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frameworks 5.20 is in ~amd64 as of today.

I did notice last week when the pure k5 Kaos (arch based) distro updated to 5.20 it seemed a lot smoother.

Currently updating my Gentoo installs- should probably see the same improvements as Kaos exhibited.

One thing was that with Kaos and the new 5.20 packages, I tested a kernel config. I've used make xconfig (qt version of make gconfig) for many years, but recently it wouldn't load my config file while in kde on Gentoo. I've been having to boot to xfce4 whenver I've needed to compile a kernel, where make xconfig does work. I suspected a qt and/or k5 problem, and Kaos seemed to confirm that. FWIW, here's my post on that problem. Hopefully, after the 5.20 updates, make xconfig will again work on kde Gentoo.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7886602-highlight-.html#7886602
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobWya wrote:
Currently Gentoo has a bit of dodgy way of switching GL libraries that may make the proprietary drivers a bit flaky - especially when you try to use EGL/GLES2 compositing. (So much so that I forked the eselect-opengl switching mechanism in my Overlay). Heated debate on Bugzilla over that...

You realise that bug is waiting for input? Copy+pasting your stuff sure is very helpful, but doesn't scale.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
You realise that bug is waiting for input? Copy+pasting your stuff sure is very helpful, but doesn't scale.

Well, I don't really want to discuss it any further here (i.e. someone else's thread)... I try not thread hijack if I can help it... :lol:
zoidie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling egl flag (and to do this gles) has got me working on Nvidia drivers/opengl. I'm not entirely sure why I had gles enabled anyway as appears to be for embedded systems (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Now I just need to fix the keyboard layout that seems to be determined by the login manager and try and do something about the ugly Chromium icon in the notification area.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no...!! Now I've noticed my little system tray music player notification icon thingy isn't working anymore... 2 steps forward, 1.5 steps backwards... :roll: :(
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-inflicted pain by using overlay stuff.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Self-inflicted pain by using overlay stuff.

Heh, heh... It's just me laughing at myself for not installing that framework library from the kde overlay. :roll:

There are a number of real regressions with this version of Plasma - probably due to the qt 5.6.0 libraries. I've been seeing the odd crash - e.g. after playing GL-based games. I'll have to test how reproduceable this issue is... The occasional stability issues are genuinely annoying - I don't like hardlocks that require a magic SYSKEY "fix"... :(

Panel layouts seem to get restored when hot-pluging my external (HDMI) monitor. But this bug (356225) has simply gone more "underground" now and is slightly harder to reproduce... Luckly I've written a little script to workaround this problem - so I've got a "magic button" keyboard shortcut that resets my panel layouts and reloads the Plasma Shell for me. 8)

At least Qupzilla now reconnects to the network after a suspend-ram/resume cycle (I never managed to back-port the qtnetwork library fix)... 8)
Anthony7E
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you all on systemd or openRC with Plasma? Any differences?
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony7E wrote:
Are you all on systemd or openRC with Plasma? Any differences?

Nvidia and Qt seem to be doing just fine - completely busting up my desktop experience... :roll:

Doesn't using openRC just make SDDM login a bit more fiddly?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenRC works just fine with sddm.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: