View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sprchkn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Disappearing mouse in Gnome 3.18 Reply with quote

I upgraded to Gnome 3.18 on Feb 24th and unfortunately my mouse cursor now disappears when over any of the gnome-shell stuff, such as the top panel, alt-tab view, or activities overview. It's the typical thing you read about when you search for it, though the dconf trick with the cursor plugin doesn't fix it. I tried updating from nvidia-drivers 358.16-r1 which I've had installed since early Feb to 361.28-r2, but that did not fix it. As soon as my mouse pointer tip moves into the top panel, it completely disappears, a tiny movement down and it's back. It seems likely that since I haven't been able to find any posts on this, that it's the interplay between the proprietary nvidia driver and gnome-shell 3.18. Before I went to the trouble of switching to the nouveau driver and retesting then submitting a bug report, I figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas first.

Thanks!
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Same problem caused by Maximus Reply with quote

I got the same problem when I installed Maximus (for getting rid of title bars in full-screen windows) and I haven't been able to fix it. It's driving me mad!

Even worse, the problem isn't fixed when all of Maximus features are turned back off!
subrabien
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I think you have multiple monitors! If yes, your bug is already reported: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=763159
the issue seem to appear if no monitor is set on 0,0 (show comment #13). A simple workaround is to modify your display configuration to have a monitor on the top left corner (from Settings -> hardware -> Displays).
That solve the issue for me

I hope the bugfix submitted on gnome bugzilla would be merged in portage.
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Ta, Thanks, I'll give that a look and report back… Reply with quote

I do have two monitors.

subrabien wrote:
Hi,
I think you have multiple monitors! If yes, your bug is already reported: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=763159
the issue seem to appear if no monitor is set on 0,0 (show comment #13). A simple workaround is to modify your display configuration to have a monitor on the top left corner (from Settings -> hardware -> Displays).
That solve the issue for me

I hope the bugfix submitted on gnome bugzilla would be merged in portage.

mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for necro-posting, but for those of you landing here from Google like I did here's how to apply the patch to your current version:

Code:

# make a directory for the patch, for the current version of mutter you have installed
sudo mkdir -p /etc/portage/patches/`equery --quiet l mutter`

# download the patch into the directory
sudo wget sudo wget https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/patch/?id=8b801aac772f92b2c6d8341931b03bbe8d5f8cd6 -O /etc/portage/patches/`equery --quiet l mutter`/mouse-pointer-fix.patch

# reinstall mutter
sudo emerge mutter

Problem went away for me. :)

If you don't have equery installed, just run `emerge -p mutter` to find out which version you have installed, and replace the backticks with x11-wm/mutter-<your_version>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: