Updated experimental overlays
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s_j_newbury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Updated experimental overlays Reply with quote

Some of you may remember me from the old multilib work and perhaps used one or more of my overlays. It's been a while, I never really entirely went away, I've been fixing bugs in the Bugzilla database regularly for years, but I did pretty much drop out of the "community", and left my public overlays to decay.

I've finally re-synced my local Gentoo overlays with my GitHub repos. There are a number of obsolete and/or redundant ebuilds. In particular the gx86-staging repo has a number of ebuilds that have now been converted in the main Portage tree. There are some that are not. Overall there are quite a few things I've worked on, many I've probably failed to push upstream or felt it inappropriate. If there's anything in any of the repos that anybody wants me to create a Bugzilla entry for, or version bump, or anything else, including comments; please just reply here so I know there's some interest.

A few highlights:

gentoo-opencl overlay:

Contains a number of opencl updates, but most significantly a live media-libs/mesa ebuild with integrated beignet and optional opencl-icd support, along with virgl. The reason for integration with mesa is because beignet requires the mesa source tree to build with EGL support. The "OCL20" branch of beignet is also supported, just use BEIGNET_BRANCH=OCL20 when emerging. I'll try to keep the patches in sync where necessary.

gentoo-playground overlay:

Contains a number of ebuilds not in the main portage tree, along with a number of updated or tweaked versions, and many additional live ebuilds. In particular x11-base/xorg-server contains a number of patches that I find useful on my systems.

There's also mail-mta/sendmail with support for multiple UNIX socket accessed MSAs. This allows a mail server to submit email through multiple "stunnel" sockets to remote secure relays such as those provided by ISPs or gmail. If anybody is interested in this let me know and I'll write up some documentation.

www-client/chromium: with VA-API acceleration.

www-client/chromium-ozone-wayland: live ebuild for Intel's Wayland/Ozone port of Google Chromium.

Many more things that I've even forgotten...

I haven't updated my work on the gcc/gcj Java JRE/JDK integration; it's not something that's really been kept up to date upstream, but if anybody interested I would be willing to get it working again.

https://github.com/sjnewbury
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that name rings a bell ;)

Are you in #gentoo-embedded at all? The opencl/egl stuff sounds useful, and I know for a fact they wrestle with mesa all the time, especially on ARM.

Do please write-up how to use stunnel sockets for mail relay.

Bit that piqued my curiosity, though was mention of "the old multilib work"; was that the chroot-approach I've heard mention of?

Oh, and #gentoo-java could surely use some help. ;)
s_j_newbury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Hmm that name rings a bell ;)

Are you in #gentoo-embedded at all? The opencl/egl stuff sounds useful, and I know for a fact they wrestle with mesa all the time, especially on ARM.
I've not been on IRC for a while. Used to lurk in a few gentoo channels, don't think I ever dropped into #gentoo-embedded.
Quote:

Here? Another thread/forum?
Quote:

Bit that piqued my curiosity, though was mention of "the old multilib work"; was that the chroot-approach I've heard mention of?
I wrote the original multilib-native.eclass, which was similar to the current multilib-build.eclass but tried to do too much! I did convert a large part of the portage tree but it was completely unmaintainable in an overlay.
Quote:

Oh, and #gentoo-java could surely use some help. ;)

I did the work at the time to bring up Java on ARM/EABI which was just appearing at the time since there was no Java JIT available and compiled Java was cool! 8) I probably had the first complete toolchain to desktop (Gentoo) GNU/Linux running on ARM/EABI.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

s_j_newbury wrote:
I've not been on IRC for a while. Used to lurk in a few gentoo channels, don't think I ever dropped into #gentoo-embedded.

Heh, well all the freeks are still around.. ;)

wrt mesa, I know nerdboy has done a lot of work on it, advised by steev, with various others coming in, needing it "just to work".
Though there is #gentoo-arm nowadays as well, more focussed on the distro end of things, afaict.
steveL wrote:

Quote:
Here? Another thread/forum?

New thread, for sure; I'd say Documentation Tips and Tricks, or possibly Networking, if you prefer.
Quote:
I wrote the original multilib-native.eclass, which was similar to the current multilib-build.eclass but tried to do too much! I did convert a large part of the portage tree but it was completely unmaintainable in an overlay.

Ah okay; someone was talking on IRC about an older approach doing it in a chroot, which made a lot of sense to me: after all, X is a networked protocol, so it shouldn't have any issue dealing with a 32-bit client.

I cannot stand the current approach, however; whichever way you do it, seems to me it's at the mangler level, or you get the current abomination. But then, correcting it properly, really means correcting the underlying flawed import of BSD ports, which lost LIB_DEPENDS as if it were irrelevant; when in fact it's the one upstream programmers and end-users both, worry about most.
Quote:
I did the work at the time to bring up Java on ARM/EABI which was just appearing at the time since there was no Java JIT available and compiled Java was cool! 8) I probably had the first complete toolchain to desktop (Gentoo) GNU/Linux running on ARM/EABI.

Sounds like you're sorely missed, then; though personally I don't have much time for Java, it's good to have an ecosystem, not a monoculture.
s_j_newbury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Vulkan support Reply with quote

I did start writing up my sendmail guide, but then came Christmas. I'll get back to it.

I do have news though!

In my gentoo-opencl overlay, media-libs/mesa now has the following features over the version in Portage:

Working OpenCL ICD for Clover and Beignet, integrated into mesa ebuild

Mesa GLVND build, just requires installation of dev-libs/libglvnd from the same overlay and the glvnd useflag set. Then use eselect opengl glvnd to use.

VirGL virtualised GPU driver

Vulkan for Intel!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth pointing out that, since Gentoo also has a Github mirror, you can submit changes (that you think should be in tree) for review at the push of a button. ;)
s_j_newbury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
It might be worth pointing out that, since Gentoo also has a Github mirror, you can submit changes (that you think should be in tree) for review at the push of a button. ;)

It's definitely not really stable material. What is the policy on live ebuild feature support? I did consider non-live support in the ebuild, but I've not made any "releases".

I wouldn't mind some feedback though, maybe I'll have to make a pull request to get some attention? :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: