[Workaround] Latest SOURCE games and Latest Nvidia drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: [Workaround] Latest SOURCE games and Latest Nvidia drivers Reply with quote

All, If you are a steam user and play source games (csgo, tf2, dota2) and equally are using the latest beta drivers ( 361.28 ) then the games will fail to start complaining about openGL version and SDL stating the version you have is 0.0.0.

known bug with nvidia drivers. Workaround for now is to set:
__GLVND_DISALLOW_PATCHING=1
runem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: [Workaround] Latest SOURCE games and Latest Nvidia drive Reply with quote

To solve the issue with nvidia-drivers in a more generic way I added a file with the the following following content to /etc/env.d/ :
Code:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib:/usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib"

Then I activated the change with these commands:

Code:

sudo env-update
source /etc/profile
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a different problem and is associated with newer xorg.

I am posting about a regression in the nvidia drivers for source games with the latest beta drivers
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God damn it... there's no such thing as "the latest Nvidia drivers" (talk about a meaningless statement)!! 8O </rant>
If you happen to be talking about Nvidia driver version x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-361.28-r2 ... Then have you tried building them with the +compat USE flag set (which actually is the Upstream default). That should fix any GLVND issues - as it will swap in the older non-GLVND drivers libGL.

I would love to use them - but they seem to have busted my suspend/ resume cycle... Further testing is required... :roll:
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did actually state the version, but thank you for your rant

Also
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Counter-Strike-Global-Offensive/issues/610
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
I did actually state the version, but thank you for your rant

Ahhh, sorry the anonymity of the Internet... :oops: But I simply meant to say it would be (cough) helpful to have put this in the thread subject... :)
Put it down to web rage for moderating Wiki pages on WineHQ for too long :roll:

Also
Naib wrote:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Counter-Strike-Global-Offensive/issues/610

Is that not the same issue though? Arch-Linux uses the newer GLVND version of libGL for 361.28. That's why I was suggesting enabling the +compat USE flag on the Gentoo -r2 version - to swap in the legacy non-GLVND version of the libGL library. Give it whirl. Like I say I'd love to test it myself - but I'm having some issues with the 361.28 driver and resuming from suspend... Kind of important on a laptop...

Certainly I don't require that extra LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable - which is simply due to the broken implementation of GL switching on Gentoo...
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on your point of view. +compat is a plaster over issues as vendor agnostic gl libraries are provided but in this instance it appears to be a bug with nvidia not so much the concept.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/915789/linux/-solved-361-28-gtx-580-steam-several-games-don-t-start-up/post/4809417/#4809417
Quote:

It is a regression related to glvnd & threaded optimizations. We are working on fixing it.
Until it is fixed, disabling threaded optimizations is an acceptable workaround, as is disabling entry point patching. Disabling glvnd is also an acceptable workaround, and we anticipate that this is what most distributions will do, except Archlinux.
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48109#comment143842

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a different issue and is related to how gentoo manages variables and well they screwed up and how steam stomps on some of them (read order). If your setup doesn't require the LD_LIBRARY_PATH workaround great, but quite a few do
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
depends on your point of view. +compat is a plaster over issues as vendor agnostic gl libraries are provided but in this instance it appears to be a bug with nvidia not so much the concept.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/915789/linux/-solved-361-28-gtx-580-steam-several-games-don-t-start-up/post/4809417/#4809417
Quote:

It is a regression related to glvnd & threaded optimizations. We are working on fixing it.
Until it is fixed, disabling threaded optimizations is an acceptable workaround, as is disabling entry point patching. Disabling glvnd is also an acceptable workaround, and we anticipate that this is what most distributions will do, except Archlinux.
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48109#comment143842

Well by default Nvidia expected vendors to use the non-GLVND libGL (as your quote clearly states) - in fact that's the one their installer chooses by default... Of course there's going to bugs in their first official release of a GLVND standards compliant version of libGL... Personally I'm more concerned with the bugs in their non-standards compliant version - like broken suspend-resume support :(

Naib wrote:
The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a different issue and is related to how gentoo manages variables and well they screwed up and how steam stomps on some of them (read order). If your setup doesn't require the LD_LIBRARY_PATH workaround great, but quite a few do

Sorry, that's me shamelessly "thread hi-jacking" again - with my own agenda... :oops:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobWya wrote:

Well by default Nvidia expected vendors to use the non-GLVND libGL (as your quote clearly states) - in fact that's the one their installer chooses by default... Of course there's going to bugs in their first official release of a GLVND standards compliant version of libGL... Personally I'm more concerned with the bugs in their non-standards compliant version - like broken suspend-resume support :(
You are jumping the gun there...
For starters x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-361.28 never had a compat USE flag (this came with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-361.28-r1)
Equally nvidia didn't state they expected vendors to use the non-GLVND, they expect most distro to now use
Quote:
Disabling glvnd is also an acceptable workaround, and we anticipate that this is what most distributions will do, except Archlinux.

And this tête a tête is serving who's ego? especially as you have stating you are pushing your own agenda here...
For those that want to carry on using GLVND (and equally find bugs...) then until nvidia release an update driver the __GLVND_DISALLOW_PATCHING=1 frig is valid IF they cannot __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 due to game specifics (like csgo...) OTHERWISE the +compat is a viable alternative
Dekan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP's solution worked for me, thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: