Mounting Fuse exFAT suid 0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrankyPenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Mounting Fuse exFAT suid 0 Reply with quote

I have been attempting to mount some exFAT filesystems on my Gentoo box. I succeeded in installing fuse, and the exfat tools and in modifying my fstab to accomodate the code following the directions here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1036804-highlight-fuse+exfat+blkdev+privileged.html. Ultimately I was left with the same problem as ExecutorElassus.

Code:
fusermount: option blkdev is privileged

Following the advice here https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2015-July/463649.html I confirmed that it was indeed the suid bit.

So while my immediate problem is solved I wanted to ask if there was a different way to do this? I found no use flags on the exfat tools that would support suid privileges. Is there an overlay that provides this or a set of different packages?
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Fuse exFAT suid 0 Reply with quote

CrankyPenguin wrote:
So while my immediate problem is solved I wanted to ask if there was a different way to do this? I found no use flags on the exfat tools that would support suid privileges. Is there an overlay that provides this or a set of different packages?

You might check about the proposal mentioned in bug 564900.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Fuse exFAT suid 0 Reply with quote

CrankyPenguin wrote:

CrankyPenguin ... you might use "linux capabilities" (if *_FS_SECURITY is enabled). Not sure which capabilities you would need to set but if you remove the suid bit and run strace on the process you should see them listed prior to "Operation not permitted". You would then use 'setcap' (sys-libs/libcap) to set these, eg:

Code:
# setcap 'cap_foo,cap_ba+ep' /path/to/executable

HTH & best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autofs might be a good option - it works well enough for sshfs, also a fuse filesystem. Everything gets mounted as root on-demand.
CrankyPenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 Thank you for posting the bug, that seems to be the most straightforward way to change it. I note that ntfs3g has an suid build flag but the others do not.

I will try out the solutions proposed by khayyam and Ant P. in the meantime. I have not made use of autofs previously as I prefer the manual approach but perhaps it is time to change that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: