View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDE Plasma and qtcore conflict Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up a new installation with KDE 5 as desktop environment:
so far, I got to the point of a bootable box with the "plasma" profile enabled
(default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma).
I'm following the KDE wiki and when I try to emerge kde-plasma/plasma-meta,
I run across the following conflict:

Code:
!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-qt/qtcore:5

(dev-qt/qtcore-5.4.2:5/5::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    ~dev-qt/qtcore-5.4.2 required by (dev-qt/qtprintsupport-5.4.2:5/5::gentoo, installed)
    ^              ^^^^^                                                                                                                 
  (and 10 more)

(dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.1:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.1:5 required by (kde-frameworks/frameworkintegration-5.18.0:5/5.18::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                             
    >=dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.0:5 required by (kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.5.4:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                 
    >=dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.0:5 required by (kde-plasma/kscreenlocker-5.5.4:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

As you can see, the "plasma" profile pulls in qtcore-5.4.2 but when I try to install
the plasma packages, 3 of them require >=dev-qt/qt-core-5.5.0.
I have already tried to mask ~dev-qt/qt-core-5.5.1 and use the --backtrack option
(as suggested by portage), to no avail: any suggestions?
Which Qt library version should be used in a clean Plasma installation?

My emerge --info

Last edited by kite14 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE Plasma and qtcore conflict Reply with quote

Code:
dev-qt/qtcore:5

(dev-qt/qtcore-5.4.2:5/5::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    ~dev-qt/qtcore-5.4.2 required by (dev-qt/qtprintsupport-5.4.2:5/5::gentoo, installed)
    ^              ^^^^^                                                                                                                 
  (and 10 more)

(dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.1:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.1:5 required by (kde-frameworks/frameworkintegration-5.18.0:5/5.18::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                             
    >=dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.0:5 required by (kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.5.4:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                 
    >=dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.0:5 required by (kde-plasma/kscreenlocker-5.5.4:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

kite14 wrote:
As you can see, the "plasma" profile pulls in qtcore-5.4.2 but when I try to install
the plasma packages, 3 of them require >=dev-qt/qt-core-5.5.0.

No, actually that's not what you see here. ;)

All the kde-plasma/*-5.5.x packages pull in >=qtcore-5.5.1, but all the other Qt dependencies are pulled in without version requirement. That means some package pulls in qtprintsupport, and because you are using a stable system, the version available to portage is 5.4.2. However, you need to have all the Qt 5.x packages at the same version, so any packages at 5.4.2 should be added to your package.keywords to unmask 5.5.1.
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm,
thanks for your reply. I was not sure if keywording Qt 5.5.1 was the way to go...
anyway I will try now and report back...
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keywording Qt >=5.5 did the trick, thanks genstorm!
I had to manually remove all dev-qt/*-5.4.2 packages first, but it's working...
Holgermichl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kite14 wrote:
Keywording Qt >=5.5 did the trick, thanks genstorm!
I had to manually remove all dev-qt/*-5.4.2 packages first, but it's working...

I do have the same issue. How do I do the keyowrding?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibilities for entries inside /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords:
=dev-qt/qtcore-5.5*
~dev-qt/qtcore-5.5.1

Replace qtcore with the ones your system is asking to emerge with 5.4.2.

See also: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Portage/Files#User-specific_configuration
msst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thanks for your reply. I was not sure if keywording Qt 5.5.1 was the way to go...

Yup, had the same recently. And initially I really tried to force it by simply compiling with --nodeps the few packages that tried to pull in >5.5.

Surprise: All compiled well and looked ok! But the kde desktop was not really starting. Then I allowed it to upgrade only some of the qt packages to 5.5.1. As only a few packages require qt-5.5 only a part of the qt stuff was upgraded and no conflicts any more reported. But it did not start the desktop anyway and upon a full recompile there were "conflicting version" errors.

So the solution was to remove all 5.4.2 packages and set everything from qt to 5.5.1. Then recompile the whole lot of kde-framework, plasma and apps. Grmpf.

That kde/qt stuff is bitchy. Requires a clean qt-5.5.1 basis and cleanly recompiled kde from the same versions currently. And hands off qt-5.6.0beta, that breaks a lot of stuff. Does not even compile.
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mas- wrote:
So the solution was to remove all 5.4.2 packages and set everything from qt to 5.5.1.

Yes, indeed, that's what I did. In case you need it, this is my keyword file for QT libraries → http://pastebin.com/s1A1gFrG
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: