How to play copycontroled audio cd's
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuifje09
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: How to play copycontroled audio cd's Reply with quote

Now I found some of my audio cd's are copy controled, and why they sound soooo bad, I am searching for a solution to play them cleanly.
But Until now I found no solution. Most of the advice runs via the windows platform, but does not work, I think they will not not work in the windows enironment, but I try them in wine.
Okay, you can make cpies of the disc, but they remain crappy sounding. as the original does.

Does some of you recognise this problem and found a solution, I would like to know that too.

Even no real hardware-cd-player does do the job, as far I have been looking now. Most say in their manual, it will not play those discs correct, or at all !!

Making an analog copy to create some flac or mp3 , to put it on my multimedia station, gives not a satisfying result.

But, If the coding on these disc's has a non random coding, there must be a way to play them cleanly.

I hope to find some answer on the gentoo platform forum, the most hardcore linux there is I think.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i ask in detail what you did.

sound so bad, could be anything, plesae be more specific.

Those few audio cds i bought from different artists, play flawless. If I had such a cd, i would have returned it instantly becuase they rae not compatible. and than it is the sellers point to prove to myself that they work flawless on any given "cd" capable playing device. which may be not the case than.

Another "illegal" way is to rip the audio from youtube, but as you own the record already, go ahead and rip it from youtube. I will not reveal details here because of legal issues maybe. (mods feel free to remove this last sentence ....)

edit: you may look up a block diagram on how a cd player works, it is kinda similar with an optical drive. as there are many steps involved, i wonder where the sound bad stuff is generated.

I do have a blueray compatible drive here in my notebook, but I refuse to buy any blueray discs, because, it is half legal to circumvent copy protection. I won*t spent the money for 30 cheeseburgers on a video disc, which only play in windi 95 operating system. Well the blueray drive was in this second hand notebook, but as i saw there are some issues with playback, no blueray discs are purchased. Sony and the others can use copy protection, but i am allowed to not buy those products from that company. Sony had crappy hardware for years anyway, so i do not buy sony either. These days films are crap anyway.

--

In short when you purachased the disc recently, return it, and when they refuse, tell them to show you how it plays on your hardware, when tehy can't they have to revert the deal.
kuifje09
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, The cd's I am talking about are indeed non compact-disc compliant.
And, I ( We ) were stupit enough to buy such disc. These are marked with the copycontroled symbole.
Even worse, there are disc's sold, without the compactdisc or the copycontroled symble, but these are the worsed of all.
Those disc's are who are coded with cds200.

While those disc's are mend to be played, I assume, they sometimes even will. Luckily all my cd's play in my stereo and computer.

But, thye all sound very very sharp, and even sharper when it gets louder.

When viewed in Audacity, it becomes clear why.

Only CloneCD tells it is capable to get the audio off the cd clearly. ? I will believe, but can't try, because it does not run in wine.

IF Clonecd is capable, then there must be also some linux software able to do so. Then It would not hurt my ears anymore.
Plying with the equalizer does not help much, comressor does noet help... The noise in the music seems to be also dynamic,
more or less depending on the sound level. Some settings do help a little. But played a bit louder or with headphone, it is still the same crap.

It makes voices if the singer has problems with his/her thoat, it makes trumpets like made of plastic and from hell... as example.

It has nothing to do with the quality of my audio-set or something else. It is just the bad coding habbit of the music-companies.

See this : [url] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control [/url]
And , the statement 2006 is end of copycontrol, thats not true ! I have a disk labled 2010 and one 2011 with the cactus shield.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were advertised and sold as audio CDs but are defective by design and don't play in audio CD players, then you probably have a strong legal case for a full refund from the manufacturer.
kuifje09
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for taking notice and reaction, but refund, thats not possible. Its too long ago we bought these and obvious there is no prove of we did.

But, I still can't believe these are just crap and not playable, unless you use them as just a musical wall-paper...
Then you could also listen to your radio or some shoutcast station or alike that.

I listen often to V-Tuner. Reasonable, depending on the station you tune-in, but it is not the topquality you expect from a cd, for more or less money.
These copycontroled cd's seem to be just a rip-off. Thanks BMG, EMI, Sony, Universalmusic, BUMA and some others...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuifje09,

The copy control works by having the player 'fill in' for bad blocks is the audio. There is not time to reread the disc in a conventional CD player.
All CD-DA players do this.
On copy protected CDs bad blocks are deliberately recorded. In a computer CD drive, making up missing data would be a disaster.
Suppose it was your backups?
So computer CD player will not play these CDs correctly.

I have a few of these CDs but I can't say that I've had any problem ripping them.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
kuifje09
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon

Thanks for reacting. But I do not agree with you.

If you take the user manuals of, I think all of, the audio cd players you can read they tell about the special "NON COMPACT DISC"'s, who will not play or not be played correctly in their player.
Even SONY who is manufacturer of those players and is producer of cd's, has no player to play, even their own productions, without errors.

On the computer, there are several programs to copy the disc, but the errors remain in the recording.

I got an answer from some HiFi-shop, and the told me, maby some Marantz player was able to play them.
But even the expensive sa-cd will not do. Its in their manual.
An analogue copy would please me too if it gave a good result. But the distortion is so high, it is audible even then.

So I was hoping for a software solution.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: