Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why does portage obsess on pulling ~ffmpeg (2.8)...?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Why does portage obsess on pulling ~ffmpeg (2.8)...? Reply with quote

... while no package seems to need it!

Hi.

I'm facing a curious issue with portage: as I'm emerging -avquDN --changed-use --keep-going=y world it wants to pull down >=ffmpeg-2.8 (masked) although I found no clue any package requires it. Currently version 2.6 (stable) is installed. Portage pretended version 2.8 was required by mpd:
Code:
The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.accept_keywords" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by media-sound/mpd-0.19.10::gentoo[-libav,ffmpeg]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=media-video/ffmpeg-2.8.3 ~amd64

So I upgraded mpd yet portage sticks on ffmpeg-2.8.3. Just this time it lies because not mpd requires it. I then demanded the dependency tree (emerge -tav...) and saw ffmpeg-2.8 was also pulled by gst-plugins-libav-1.4.5-r2... which I upgraded independently: no masked ffmpeg was pulled! I then tried once again to emerge ... world and once again >=ffmpeg-2.8 was requested.

I repeated this process and found kodi-15.2 (I have version 15.1) also allegedly relied upon ffmpeg-2.8. Did upgrade kodi then retried upgrading world, same, nonsensical request upon ffmpeg-2.8 pulled by mpd – WTF?

In an attempt to nail down the "culprit", I tried the following:
emerge -pu1 $(equery -q d ffmpeg | sed -r 's/-[0-9.]+.*$//g'):
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  rR    ] net-fs/libnfs-1.9.7 [1.9.7]
[ebuild     U ~] media-libs/babl-0.1.14 [0.1.12]
[ebuild     U ~] media-video/ffmpeg-2.8.3 [2.6.3] USE="-libressl% -snappy%" FFTOOLS="sidxindex%*"
[ebuild  NS   ~] media-libs/gegl-0.3.4 [0.2.0-r2] USE="cairo ffmpeg jpeg lcms lensfun openexr png sdl svg tiff v4l -debug -introspection -jpeg2k -raw {-test} -umfpack -vala -webp" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse"
[ebuild     U  ] media-video/vlc-2.2.1-r1 [2.1.5-r1] USE="jpeg%* libsamplerate* zeroconf%* -postproc* -qt5% -vpx% -x265%"
[ebuild     U  ] net-misc/freerdp-1.2.1_pre20150326-r1 [1.2.1_pre20150326] USE="(-libressl)"
[ebuild     U  ] media-sound/audacious-3.6.2 [3.4.1] USE="-gtk3% -qt5%"
[ebuild     U  ] media-plugins/audacious-plugins-3.6.2-r1 [3.4.1] USE="-gtk3% -http% -qt5%"
[ebuild     U ~] media-tv/kodi-15.2 [15.1]

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.accept_keywords" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by media-libs/gegl-0.2.0-r2::gentoo
# required by media-libs/gegl (argument)
=media-video/ffmpeg-2.8.3 ~amd64

... aaaaand *bingo* ! There we are: media-libs/gegl-0.2.0-r2 is the one requiring ffmpeg-2.8!

The question is «why the Hell didn't portage figure it out while emerging world?»

Bug?
Astronome
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but I'm curious how you solved this. I suspect you needed to add "-ffmpeg" to USE in make.conf.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronome wrote:
Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but I'm curious how you solved this. I suspect you needed to add "-ffmpeg" to USE in make.conf.

Astronome ... no, because media-video/ffmpeg is satisfying virtual/ffmpeg and one or other of [-libav,ffmpeg] or [libav,-ffmpeg] is required. I suspect the above was a teathing issue related to 2015-04-16-ffmpeg-default.

best ... khay
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronome wrote:

Well, first off, I didn't solve this issue, I got rid of the package that exhibited the issue. In fact it's not about masking any of ffmpeg or libav rather than some portage "deficiency" at tracing dependencies properly or showing them properly... or whatever it is.

The problem is *I* have been required to track down what package was pulling down an unwanted version of ffmpeg while portage should have done that on itself and properly shown which package it depended on. It forced me to do the digging all on my own. And I still have got no explanation on this. Both suck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: