From XP to 64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: From XP to 64 Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm going to buy an Athlon 64 and intend to use the amd64 architecture. I was wondering whether I'd have to use a completely fresh stage 1 and bootstrap or whether I could just change the settings under make.conf, rebuild glibc and gcc, install the 32-bit emulators and go from there. Thanks for any assistance...

Andrew
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: From XP to 64 Reply with quote

alshain wrote:
Hello all,

I'm going to buy an Athlon 64 and intend to use the amd64 architecture. I was wondering whether I'd have to use a completely fresh stage 1 and bootstrap or whether I could just change the settings under make.conf, rebuild glibc and gcc, install the 32-bit emulators and go from there. Thanks for any assistance...

Andrew

Well not 100% sure, but I really would expect so.

For me, it was a differant kernel, CCFlags [for 64bit], USE variables, and GRUB static ..

But having the disk with my old installation on to copy all the config files from, made the install relatively painless...

It flies, btw :wink:
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: From XP to 64 Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:

Well not 100% sure, but I really would expect so.

For me, it was a differant kernel, CCFlags [for 64bit], USE variables, and GRUB static ..

But having the disk with my old installation on to copy all the config files from, made the install relatively painless...

It flies, btw :wink:

Oh, I won't be able to sleep now! :D

I think I'll be backing everything up just to be on the safe side. :roll: Oh, and getting a new graphics card (thanks ATI).

Andrew
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a backup, better to be safe than sorry [I bet you say that when you go down to brighton pier at night :wink: ]

Sorry off topic!

Yes, nvidia, do seem to be ahead of the game, atm.

My geforce 4800 works great and accelerated .... can't complain about that 8)
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
Yes, a backup, better to be safe than sorry [I bet you say that when you go down to brighton pier at night :wink: ]

Well, leaving such accusations aside :D - since I accidentally wiped my girlfriend's hard drive whilst upgrading her machine my carefree backup-free life has received something of a jolt. Lucky it wasn't my machine! :D

scoobydu wrote:

Yes, nvidia, do seem to be ahead of the game, atm.

My geforce 4800 works great and accelerated .... can't complain about that 8)

I like the look of the new 5900XT. Same price as a Radeon 9600XT and lots faster. Doesn't look like the current 64-bit drivers support it thought, but I'm damned if that's a good enough reason to prevent me from buying one...
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, wiping someone elses disks is not wise!

Nice graphics card, btw, but perhaps check with nvidia when the 64bit support is expected ....

Looks like the 64b driver hasn't changed for a while ...
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
Yeh, wiping someone elses disks is not wise!

Well, the story had a happy ending. I'd been installing my old hard drive to replace hers (her machine is entirely made up of my reject components, i.e. anything over a year old :) ) and it was the new drive that had its partition table scrapped so I just had to copy everything from the old one again. I job I started at 10am and expected to be finished in a couple of hours ended up lasting until 11pm! Needless to say this has soured her opinion of my technical mastery. :( It also provided me with an incentive to buy a load of DVD-RWs.

scoobydu wrote:

Nice graphics card, btw, but perhaps check with nvidia when the 64bit support is expected ....

Looks like the 64b driver hasn't changed for a while ...

Good idea. I checked the nvidia forums and it seems everyone is waiting for the new version. Since the 5900XT is simply a 5900 with the clock speed turned down there's a chance that the old drivers might work, but if nvidia forced the drivers to work with only selected chip IDs then I'll just have to wait.

Andrew
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alshain wrote:
Good idea. I checked the nvidia forums and it seems everyone is waiting for the new version. Since the 5900XT is simply a 5900 with the clock speed turned down there's a chance that the old drivers might work, but if nvidia forced the drivers to work with only selected chip IDs then I'll just have to wait.

I think you mean "5900XT is simply a 5900 with the clock speed turned UP" ;)?.

Also, the drivers will not be limited to certain chip IDs. I use the same NVIDIA-drivers on my GeForce2 GTS and it works just fine. I fail to see what benefit would it bring NVIDIA if they started writing different drivers for different cards. After all, they have made the "one set of drivers for ALL out vid-cards!" a major marketing-advantage for them.
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:

I'd be very happy if that were the case, although I think the 5900XT is the budget end of the 5900 line. The XT name is, I think, designed to one-up ATI's latest efforts, although at least one manufacturer is marketing it as the 5900SE.

Have a look here:

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/gffx_5900xt.shtml

Andrew
Sastraxi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ATi, SE is worse and XT is better. nVidia doesn't have an SE, but its XT is worse (or something). That's what I gather.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alshain wrote:
Evangelion wrote:

I'd be very happy if that were the case, although I think the 5900XT is the budget end of the 5900 line. The XT name is, I think, designed to one-up ATI's latest efforts, although at least one manufacturer is marketing it as the 5900SE.

Sorry, I confused it with 5950.
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alshain wrote:

Seems like Nvidia were listening to me - version 5332 of the amd64 drivers has just been released. :D And they support the 5900XT! 8) There goes my last reason for not buying one. Now can anyone lend me any money??

Andrew
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a AMD64 on a pure 32bit system, would you like to know how? ALL and I do mean ALL programs work perfect!! I had to use the nvidia-kernel1.0-5328. I build everything into the kernel and did a make. The system is VERY responsive and I love it. Also got a 64bit gentoo on the other hard drive. Both run great but I play around with the 32bit much more. I hardly ever boot the 64bit, NO PROGRAMS!!

If you would like to know how to build a pure 32bit environment I will let you know?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: