Screwed up removing systemd on Gentoo on EC2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBoyCache
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Screwed up removing systemd on Gentoo on EC2 Reply with quote

I started setting up a Gentoo AMI from the paludis base image and found every AMI I could find had a stage3 already set up with systemd. i decided to unmerge it and emerge openrc and update my system to boot into openrc, but it wasn't that simple.

i currently have some mess of systemd and openrc and it seems both are barely holding the system together now...

I was going thru the installation of OpenRC for gentoo guide and got stuck. how should i finish killing off systemd and get openrc stable?

Code:
test-server gentoo # service sshd restart
 * No permission to apply cgroup settings
 * Starting sshd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/sshd is already running                                                                [ !! ]
 * ERROR: sshd failed to start
test-server gentoo # service sshd stop
 * WARNING: sshd is already stopped
test-server gentoo # service sshd start
 * No permission to apply cgroup settings
 * Starting sshd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/sshd is already running                                                                [ !! ]
 * ERROR: sshd failed to start
DBoyCache
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have OpenRC controlling things now, but I'm not sure if systemd is still trying to run things at all. How can I be sure that my machine isn't still partially dependent on systemd?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBoyCache wrote:
I think I have OpenRC controlling things now, but I'm not sure if systemd is still trying to run things at all. How can I be sure that my machine isn't still partially dependent on systemd?

DBoyCache ... your problem above (now hopefully resolved) seems to be the order in which you attempted to switch, by removing systemd you were probably left without the means to control the currently booted system. The required method would be to emerge openrc, change init (or kernel option in menuconfig) to be /sbin/init, reboot, then unmerge systemd and replace systemd-udev with either the standalone udev, or eudev. Anyhow ... the following will tell you what is functioning as pid 1 ... and you would expect to see 'init' if openrc is in use ...

Code:
% ps -p 1 -o comm=

You may still see 'systemd-udev' in the output of 'ps aux' but that is expected if sys-fs/udev is installed.

best ... khay
DBoyCache
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply khayyam!

ps -p 1 -o comm= returns "systemd" but I do have udev still activated.

I think I'm going to try and make a snapshot of the machine, and then try rebooting it, and then I'll unmerge systemd.

I should be able to finish cleaning it up successfully though. It's too bad none of the EC2 AMI's to use with Gentoo use init.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBoyCache wrote:
ps -p 1 -o comm= returns "systemd" but I do have udev still activated.

DBoyCache ... you're welcome. That means systemd is in control, udev (or systemd-udev) is just one component (which is either installed as part of systemd, or via sys-fs/udev, and so standalone). In your case systemd is pid 1, and so the master process ... what does the following show:

Code:
# grep SYSTEMD /usr/src/linux/.config
# cat /proc/cmdline

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: