View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: qt 3.04 out Reply with quote

qt 3.04 out....is it safe to upgrade?
or will it mess up my libpng:)
True
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I hadn't read this. I just emerged qt 3.04 and all my KDE icons / pixmaps have dissapeared. My default PATH no longer contains KDE bin directories either. This really has messed things up! OK, so I added the KDE bin paths but still things are screwed. I can't open any KDE apps without them crashing.

I've just done an unmerge of KDE and I'll try to emerge it again overnight. Hopefully that will fix things but until then I'm stuck with Fluxbox.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no.....not again.... :(
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
oh no.....not again.... :(

hmmmm forgot to sign in again
justus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: No probs here Reply with quote

I just upgraded too... I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with the upgrade: icons are all there, no wierd crashes, nothing...

I guess it's different from machine to machine... or maybe it's just that I over optimize everything :)

Justin T
Jamon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Hmm. Reply with quote

I haven't experienced any problems. The only little thing is that Liquid doesn't fade in right like it used to - hardly fatal. I hope you get things working!

Jamon
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Hey jamon... Reply with quote

I have noticed that when liquid is screwing up it's because in the Control Center->Look and Feel->Style->Effects->Menu Effect is set to "Animate" - make sure it is set to either "Fade" (the one I prefer) or "Disable"

Derek
True
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've (r)emerged KDE overnight and everythings fine again! I wonder if it was due to having the USE options setup badly. All I have in there is -gnome & cups. Perhaps I should add Qt & KDE? Anyway, I can now print from KDE apps which I couldn't do before so I'm actually very happy I did that origional Qt upgrade ;-)
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps I should add Qt & KDE?

No, don't do that ... have a look in your /etc/make.profile/make.defaults and you'll see that they are already there. You don't need to add anything in your make.conf that's already there unless you want to disable it in which case prefix it with a - symbol. The USE flags guide at www.gentoo.org has some good tips. Your print problem was perhaps as a result of not having the cups directive when you first emerged KDE?

It's funny ... I've upgraded Qt twice and had a problem only the last time, upgrading to 3.0.3.1 - sure enough my icons/buttons and PNG support vanished. YMMV, but I fixed it simply by adding a symbolic link in /usr/lib. Here's my list at present:

Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       220552 Apr 26 17:07 libpng.a
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Apr 26 17:07 libpng.so -> libpng.so.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Apr 11 20:32 libpng.so.2 -> libpng.so.2.1.0.12
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 May  2 16:43 libpng.so.2.1.0.12 -> libpng.so.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Apr 26 17:07 libpng.so.3 -> libpng.so.3.1.2.1
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       182168 Apr 26 17:07 libpng.so.3.1.2.1

I had to add the symlink for libpng.so.2.1.0.12 to point to the newly installed v3 as shown because of the libpng upgrade, so any insantiation cascades up to libpng.so.3. I was sure to leave the existing links in just in case any apps should look for explicity versioned libpng. And all was well. Somebody else mentioned that in a thread before, forgotten who it was but well done that man! Also, after emerging certain builds perhaps it might help to do an env-update with regard to setting paths.

I'm about to dive straight in an upgrade Qt again so I hope it works a second time!
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i emerged qt 3.04 and then qt3.04-r1 which came out today...and so far no problems with kde3 and the libpng...
Abandon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: No icon / buttons after qt3.0.4-r1 upgrade Reply with quote

I just upgrade to 3.0.4-r1 an also lost my icon/buttons etc. Replacing /usr/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.12 with a link to /usr/lib/libpng.so.3 as mentioned in another post to this thread corrected the problem. I was also get segfaults when launching programs. Like when clicking the Home icon on the desktop. This also seems to have been corrected. I had previously re-emerged qt and kde which had not corrected the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: