Gentoo on PowerMac G5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrishas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on PowerMac G5 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thsi is my first post and first installation of Gentoo.
I'm trying to install Gentoo on a late 2005 PowerMac G5 with 2x dual core processors.

Unfortunately right after the yaboot screen I get a gray screen with the following:

Code:

done
found display    : /pci@0,f0000000/NVDA,Parent@0/NVDA,Display-A@0, opening... done
copying OF device tree...
Building dt strings...
Building dt structure...
Device tree strings 0x0000000000d05000 -> 0x0000000000d06764
Device tree struct  0x0000000000d07000 -> 0x0000000000d16000
Calling quiesce...
returning from prom_init
_

I can't really tell what the issue is.
I used both the g5_defconfig for compiling the kernel and tried one just by doing manual configuration, both with the same result.
In addition I selected the gnome-systemd profile with eselect profile set.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris[/code]
chessmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey so, what's your yaboot.conf? Reason I ask is your ofpath looks kind of funny. Also, what kernel are you using? I'm using 4.1.4(64bit userland) with no problems at all.
Chrishas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to help, installation issue has been "resolved".
I reinstalled the system by:
starting from the partitioning, I left the partitions the same as the previous install and simply rerun mkfs.ext4 on /root
compiled the kernel with g5_defconfig - no options changed, no initramfs installed
selected the desktop profile(no gnome/kde/systemd)
copied yaboot.conf from the previous install, I'm not in front of the ppc now so will need to check if changed anything.

Install went flawlessly, although not sure what I did wrong the first time, but now I'm trying to get graphics working properly, Nvidia NV43 card.

I recompiled the kernel with nouveau support and used VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau" in /etc/portage/make.conf but kernel option video=nouveau leads to a blank screen, sounds like this issue https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1020900.html ?
Furthermore, I installed awesome window manager but the colors are distorted, kernel was booted with video=ofonly and the Xorg log issues errors about kms : [drm] kms not enabled.
chessmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrishas wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to help, installation issue has been "resolved".
I reinstalled the system by:
starting from the partitioning, I left the partitions the same as the previous install and simply rerun mkfs.ext4 on /root
compiled the kernel with g5_defconfig - no options changed, no initramfs installed
selected the desktop profile(no gnome/kde/systemd)
copied yaboot.conf from the previous install, I'm not in front of the ppc now so will need to check if changed anything.

Install went flawlessly, although not sure what I did wrong the first time, but now I'm trying to get graphics working properly, Nvidia NV43 card.

I recompiled the kernel with nouveau support and used VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau" in /etc/portage/make.conf but kernel option video=nouveau leads to a blank screen, sounds like this issue https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1020900.html ?
Furthermore, I installed awesome window manager but the colors are distorted, kernel was booted with video=ofonly and the Xorg log issues errors about kms : [drm] kms not enabled.

The combination that just gets me to console is: video=nvidiafb:1900x600-32@60 nouveau.modeset=1. Now far as a working Xorg, that is a task that has not been successful for me.
Chrishas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chessmaster wrote:

The combination that just gets me to console is: video=nvidiafb:1900x600-32@60 nouveau.modeset=1. Now far as a working Xorg, that is a task that has not been successful for me.

Unfortunately that doesn't work at all for me, some screen output comes up right after yaboot and then a blank screen.
Btw, the kernel I have is 4.0.5.
Would installing an initramfs with nouveau make a difference?
chessmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrishas wrote:
chessmaster wrote:

Unfortunately that doesn't work at all for me, some screen output comes up right after yaboot and then a blank screen.
Btw, the kernel I have is 4.0.5.
Would installing an initramfs with nouveau make a difference?

By the way if you got a properly configured kernel you shouldn't really have to put no yaboot parameters for OFW to use. So, you should try that first and it will by default use offb. At boot prompt boot: Linux nouveau.modeset=0 . For example make sure nvidiafb is compiled as a driver inside kernel. I tried without nvidiafb and wouldn't boot at all with/without any parameters.
chessmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91319
Reading this seems to be a regression in the 4.0+ kernel with the DCB tables. So seems to explain why I don't have no working X.
My yaboot paramenters are:
Code:
quiet splash pci=nomsi
The powerpc mailing list https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2015/06/ on debian is pretty active with trying to get a working PCIe/PCIx nvidia card. Though at this moment only 2d is reportedly working. Someone even reported to have a out of box kernel that just works. https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2015/06/msg00064.html. Though I have not tried it since I'm trying to research on the understanding of DCB tables and how ofw handles the msi address of the fcode rom.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55449https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55449
Disableing nvidia_fb in kernel can't boot at all which seems to be required for KMS.
Chrishas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great info.This is the kernel config I have at the moment:
http://pastebin.com/SQCEnPJ3
Boot parameters:

Code:
video=nvidiafb:1280x1024-32@60 nouveau.modeset=1

One peculiar thing is that the card only boots when it's connected on the right DVI port as seen from the back otherwise it goes blank.
I can start X with awesome and no distorted colors now.
Got vlc/mplayer running although I had to load the snd_aoa_i2sbus for sound to work.
A[/code]lso both mplayer/vlc complain about low frame which is probably due to X loaded with software rendering:

Code:
[  1007.351] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[  1007.351] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[  1007.871] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
[  1007.871] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
CarstenIQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrishas

Thank you for sharing your experiences in setting up a Power Mac G5 with Gentoo. I'm trying in setting up the same type of equipment and did run into some issues, including the black screen and poor video performance. x86 and x86_64 are by far easier in compare. I will give it another try and use some of your recommendations.
Chrishas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarstenIQ wrote:
Hi Chrishas

Thank you for sharing your experiences in setting up a Power Mac G5 with Gentoo. I'm trying in setting up the same type of equipment and did run into some issues, including the black screen and poor video performance. x86 and x86_64 are by far easier in compare. I will give it another try and use some of your recommendations.

Hi CarstenIQ

I tried troubleshooting/debugging the issue further but I put it on hold until now when I have time again. The following bug report has a patch for the issue in kernels 4.3+ but I haven't tried it:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91319

Hope that helps,[/url]

Chris
CarstenIQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrishas!

Thank you for sharing this information. I will give it a try and patch the nouveau driver. I was able to get the basic system up and running on the PowerMac G5 but not with full resolution though. If I use the max supported screen resolution of 1440x900 , it is off center. All has moved good 10 to 15cm to the right and trunks the image. I hope that the patch will solve this issue as well.

I still have no Xorg and Desktop Environment working yet. The reason for that is that I wanted Pantheon but it seams impossible to emerge for me since it requires systemd to function and a lot of package conflicts. I prefer OpenRC. So a no go for pantheon there. I hoped to install LXQT as second choice since I use mostly QT based apps or apps that support both, GTK or QT. But I also run into some issues there, too many package conflicts :(.

I'm not able to emerge spidermonky-1.8.5-r4, by blocking it I can emerge version 1.8.2.15-r2 without any problems but the dependencies are not anymore satisfied. I will post the emerge error log and emerge info once I have access to the Machine again.

What desktop environment would be recommendable for PPC64 machines? Which supports the best this arch?
Chrishas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for KDE, XFCE is also an option. What profile did you select for the installation?

Unfortunately I can't really help much with the resolution issue, what monitor are you using? I've only seen something similar when connecting to a monitor which had smaller maximum resolution.
CarstenIQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrishas

today I had access to the Mac G5. The Monitor is a I-INC model iF191D.

My profile:

Code:

[1]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland
  [2]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/desktop *
  [3]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/desktop/gnome
  [4]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/desktop/gnome/systemd
  [5]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/desktop/kde
  [6]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/desktop/kde/systemd
  [7]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/developer
  [8]   default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/little-endian
  [9]   hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/64bit-userland

I did a emerge --sync and an update and so far so good. I will try xfce4 since it is a bit lighter as KDE even it uses GTK.

Here is my emerge --info

Code:

Portage 2.2.26 (python 2.7.10-final-0, default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/desktop, gcc-4.9.3, glibc-2.21-r1, 4.1.12-gentoo ppc64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.1.12-gentoo-ppc64-PPC970,_altivec_supported-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     4007836 total,   2199156 free
KiB Swap:    2097148 total,   2097148 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:00:01 +0000
sh bash 4.3_p42-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.25.1 p1.1) 2.25.1
app-shells/bash:          4.3_p42-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.20.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.10-r1::gentoo, 3.3.5-r1::gentoo, 3.4.3-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.3.1-r1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.18.4::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.13.4::gentoo, 1.15::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.25.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            4.9.3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.18::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.21-r1::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=970 -mtune=970 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=970 -mtune=970 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl alsa berkdb bindist bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif git glamor gpm gtk gtk3 ibm iconv jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppc64 ppds qt3support qt4 readline sdl session spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_PPC="64" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby20 ruby21" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau fbdev dummy" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

CarstenIQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrishas

I like to express my gratitude for your assistance. I finally got everything working with XFCE4 but the kernel patch did not work for me at all, sadly. It seams to be for kernel version 4.3.

Just to let people know which might also struggle with nouveau and ppc64 arch. I used the vanilla-source version 4.4.0 which seams to have a fully functional nouveau kernel module. Took me a while to figure out :roll:. The stable gentoo-source version 4.1.12 was problematic and had a non-functional kernel module for nouveau. Also I might note, to follow very closely the nouveau Gentoo guide and disable all other frame-buffer device modules. Since I have a Nvidia GeForece FX5200 Ulta in this Power Mac, I uses in yaboot.conf following kernel commands: nouveau.modeset=1 video=offb:off video=nouveaufb:1280x1024-24@60 video=TV-1:d

I hope it will be of use to someone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: