is there kduzu in gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: is there kduzu in gentoo Reply with quote

or somthing like that thx in advance.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so, and I hope it never will be in there.

I like my kernel to be optimized and fast, with just including the drivers I need.
Using modules one can load drivers that are sometimes needed (like loopback device, other NIC, ..).
What more does one need? Personally, I'm really not in need of an auto-detect hardware bloated thingy.
Although I'm prepared to listen to arguments of people that do think it should be part of Gentoo.

IMHO it doesn't seem to fit with the Gentoo filosophy -- small & fast and fit for personal needs.

I guess you could install it somehow if you'd really want to, but personally I don't see why one should bother with it.
If you want something like kudzu, I guess one would have to use RH or Mandrake or MS Windows.
TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
Don't think so, and I hope it never will be in there.
Although I'm prepared to listen to arguments of people that do think it should be part of Gentoo.

I also will never use kudzu but if it gets in that's great, there are people that like it.

Zu` wrote:
IMHO it doesn't seem to fit with the Gentoo filosophy -- small & fast and fit for personal needs.

The way I see the "Gentoo-philosophy": choise, freedom, a lot of (new) packages and they don't enforce you to use anything (incl. kudzu).

TuxFriend
TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: is there kduzu in gentoo Reply with quote

maor wrote:
or somthing like that.

Quote from interview with Daniel Robbins:
TM: One common complaint from users who are considering using Gentoo is that the install seems too difficult. Are there any plans to create a more streamlined version of the install, or do you plan on staying with the "shell and 14 pages of instructions" approach?

DR: Yes; we have a beta Anaconda installer and a beta live CD installer that uses Debian's "discover" hardware detection code. We also have a developer working on an in-house installer. So expect some nice things
in the future :)

Link of interview: http://www.tinyminds.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=429&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

TuxFriend
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudzu is cool, but I didn't really like it when I used it in RH 7. It was nice cause if you added hardware it would work right away cause the module would be loaded but the only problem was that if you took something away, like say your mouse, it was more of a pain to get it working again than it would be to just add it to your kernel config.
I think kudzu has its place, but not on my machine, but maybe on a newer to linux person's machine. It helps take the headache out of configing kernel sometimes.
As for the graphical install, well, I think you guys should leave it alone. Someone who doesn't know about the fact that gentoo copiles everything is going to wonder why their graphical program / installer just froze up for like 2 hours durring bootstrap. Atleast when you have a console you see what isgoing on in the compiler and any errors that come out.
Not to be condisending (sp?) but I think that Gentoo is not really for the feight of heart, RH / mandrake are.

Andrew
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on adding python bindings to discover and detect, which will be a part of Gentoo installer/config project.

This components will be reusable as standalone as well.
nE0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a redhat box, the first thing I do is:
# chkconfig --level 123456 kudzu off

I really, really disliked it.

Mksoft:
Your project, explain what it will do..
start at boottime ?
started manualy ?
load / unload drivers/modules ?

Sounds well.. KUTGW
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I would say... Put it in... But leave it as an Option.. If people want to use it.. add in that (14 page manual) run this command to load the GUI installer... or skip this and do the rest manually like we do now.. I like everything just the way it is now.. although it would be nice to have the (OPTION) but not be forced to use it.. IT could come in handy if were installing something and were just missing something that were not sure of,, and then try it will the installer and go.. ahh so thats what it added that i forgot... hehe just me 2 cents..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: