Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Portage on Other Distros
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that someone could write an automated install script script that would get portage cleanly installed on other distos? There's a lot of good ideas here. Maybe they just need to be condensed into something that can be worked on and updated as new progress is made? I'm sorry for not being a coder - and therefore possibly a lamer in some people's eyes. But I just think portage rocks - and everyone should get a chance to experience the full extent of its power.

Q
hackertype
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried this about 10 times now on RedHat linux 8.0 and emerge portage fails every time.
TecHunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackertype wrote:
I've tried this about 10 times now on RedHat linux 8.0 and emerge portage fails every time.
:(
ChakanTGM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a tutorial on installing portage on Slackware. It's a lot clearer then what this thread might provide someone. You can get it here:

http://www.crackice.com

I'll also be making a Slackware package so installing will be easy as pie. The tutorial might work for other distros. I gave credit to everyone here that I assimilated information from.
klette
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to do this on my LSackbox, it just fails though :(

Wants to compile the whole fucking system ( including kernel-header-2.4.19 :S )

There is no guide at crackice, where is it?

Thanx for answers
vandahm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use NetBSD on all my desktop computers and use Gentoo on my laptop. I think it would be cool to be able to run Portage on my NetBSD machine, so that I can compile binary packages for the laptop on a much faster machine. I don't need it to install NetBSD packages, since NetBSD's 'pkgsrc' does most of what Portage does.

NetBSD can execute Linux binaries, so I imagine that I could install a stage 3 tarball into a chroot environment and go from there. Hmm....

Has anyone done this before?

Steve
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm.. Yeah... I can't see the guide either... A guide and some nice easy to install packages would be cool. :)

Q
Linuxnerdonthenet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: No portage group no users Reply with quote

Hi

I have tried this on an install of Aurora Sparc.

One thing you have forgotten to mention on this whole thing is the need to edit /etc/passwd and add

portage:x:250:250:portage:var/tmp/portage:/bin/false

and edit /etc/group and add

portage::250:portage

You may also have to make sure default user is a member of wheel group.

Still trying to get it to work properly have an aux_get () syntak error or corruption to sort out now.

HTH somebody.

John
werfu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, could portage be installed on FreeDOS? I know this is weird, but it would be awesome.
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeDOS?

o_O
orionrobots
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Depscan.sh Reply with quote

After beginning this process on a mandrake 9.1 box, I get the error message:
Code:

[java-config-0.2.8-r2] bash: line 1: /sbin/depscan.sh: No such file or directory

Having done an updatedb and locate for depscan.sh, I do not have this file anywhere. Where can I get it?

I also think mandrake has a borked version of autoconf and automake - so my advice is grab the sources from a gentoo mirror, and build/install these. Then remove the rpm's. The rpms install them in different locations.
I have also had to create a number of symbolic links to X11 libraries and tools - which are probably expected to be in different places.

I am keeping logs of what I am doing as it may be helpful to someone else wanting to switch. I cant stand RPM.

Orion
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: make.profile Reply with quote

like another poster mentioned, in the latest version of portage, there is no make.profile in any of the directories. If someone could illuminate this error.
I am using RedHat 9, and would love to have portage available, but need some assistance. I get the following errors:
Code:
portage: 'portage' user or group missing. Please update baselayou and merge portage user(250) and group(250) into your passwd and group files.  Non-root compilation is disabled until then.  Also note that non-root/wheel users will need to be added to the portage group to do portage commands.

For the defaults, line 1 goes into passwd, and 2 into group.
portage:x:250:250:portage:/var/tmp/portage:/bin/false
portage::250:portage

!!!No profile directory; system mode unavailable.

I am going to try to get an older portage file so I can use that make.profile to work with. Wish me luck and thanks for the info!
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

followed the second code listing for the guy using rh8.0, and now, after finding the extra_functions.sh, I still get the following error:
Code:

[color=red]!!!CANNOT IMPORT FTPLIB[/color] libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It then tells me it is done calculating dependencies, but then refuses to download anything and aborts. ACK!

help--please!
gungholady
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried adding portage to my slackware 9.1 with the instructions here.

cp make.profile/ /etc does not work. The complaint is that make.profile does not exist. When I try to use emerge portage the complaint is that Python2.2 is not found. That is true because I have Python2.3. How do I solve this? How do I create a make.profile from scratch? When I tried the script found at http://www.4akwote.com/adam/convert to put the list of slackware packages that I have installed into /usr/portage I get the following errors:

onvert.sh: line 3: =: command not found
convert.sh: line 4: =: command not found
convert.sh: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `$gentooPackDir'
convert.sh: line 6: `chdir( $gentooPackDir );'

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to convert my slackware to gentoo over time if possible. I only have dial-up so would really like to get this working. :?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we have got something here. I could successfully install the portage. And I tried some small fries like zip and unzip. It looks to work alright but I am little apprehensive about jumping on the big guys(like xfree) because I keep getting this error which I couldn't make much sense of:

------------
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 179: eerror: command not found
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 238: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 327: eend: command not found
------------

can some developer please tell me what it means? because I don't see the name of the command which is not found. Is it something not set?

thanks a lot.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I thought this is a story worth telling. So, listen.

Since, I couldn't for my life find out why I was getting those "command not found" errors, I figured it must be the baselayout. And off I went to emerge it. Result: my RH8 won't boot properly because Gentoo and RH have different concept of runlevels and the way they treat init is different.

It would go as far as runlevel 3 and give me login prompt. After fiddling(adding stuff for boot,default) with rc-update for sometime, I rebooted. This led to corruption of my root partition, probably because of gentoo incomplete shutdown, after all its not gentoo...:)

Luckily, for me I had created a backup of my partition before starting on this adventure. So, I restore my partition(ghost 2002 doesn't know ext3 but tune2fs is useful), get into rescue mode, fsck it, "tune2fs -j" it, and finally grub it. I am up again.

Now I start on a mission of reverse engineering never ever taken before. ..:) Figured that baselayout is out of question. emerge --debug zlib on a good gentoo and on RH8. comparison yields that /sbin/functions.sh and /sbin/depscan.sh need to be present. Surprise! They are part of baselayout. Some other parts(like /lib/rcscripts/awk/*.awk) of it are needed too. "emerge -f -O baselayout " fetched everything, manually untar and loot on whatever is needed minimally. Finally, "emerge gawk" got rid of "file_funcs.so not found".

And here I am with a working portage on RH8. proud of you, crichards, for floating this idea!

Thanks everyone.
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: coexisting instead of replacing Reply with quote

Installing portage onto another distro replaces that distro so you lose all the reliability of that distro right?

Is there a way to have 2 distros on one partition in order to save disk space etc and be able to switch between the two? ... possible by chroot?

The reason I don't fancy the idea of seporate partitions is because I like to conserve disk space and one may grow more than another; you can't guess how much space you'll need in the future.

Could we have a RedHat install with /usr/gentoo/usr/portage?
- if so would that still not utilise any of the RedHat install? If the two distros are seporate however, it would still be handy having the 2 on a single partition.

Next course of action - proper guide of some sort by someone who's done it?
longodj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
mini# emerge sync
Operating system "FreeBSD" currently unsupported. Exiting.

whaaaaaaaaat?
Linux dreammachine 2.6.16-rc3-nitro1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Feb 23 15:56:10 EST 2006 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+ GNU/Linux
1Gb RAM
Quadro FX 1300
2 x 36Gb Raptors
1 x 400Gb
Plextor Slot-Load 16X DVD+/-RW

(Linux Friendly FSF Donor)
Clock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinger wrote:
Can someone give me a link to the proper tarball? The one I downloaded from the mirror has no directory structure like the steps we are walked through on the first post of this thread.

TIA

The same happened to me. How to get it:
1) http://www.gentoo.org
2) grep mirrors, click the link
3) Find some machine near to you
4) goto distfiles/, wait until the huge directory loads.
5) get portage-*

s/missingos/python-missingos/

When copying into site-packages/* I get a meassage: "Omitting directory new/".

I suggest this information to be added to the first post in this forum.

BTW I have experience with LFS. It's cool. I have experience with gentoo. It's cool too. I am going to install gentoo on my LFS so I'll get a Gentoo LFS which will be supposedly doble as cool :P

And hey, the guide in the first post is fundamentally flawed. There is no make.profile anywhere.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jago25_98 wrote:
Installing portage onto another distro replaces that distro so you lose all the reliability of that distro right?

Wrong!! If you are careful about not emerging certain distro specific packages, you will be fine.

Quote:
Next course of action - proper guide of some sort by someone who's done it?

Follow these steps:

UPDATE: these instructions have been converted into a script at:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=125553

/UPDATE

0. Make sure your system is quite updated in terms of glibc(2.3.2), gcc(3.3.2) and binutils(2.14.90) before beginning here because its very difficult to emerge these even after portage works correctly.

1. wget ftp://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/distfiles/portage-2.0.49-r21.tar.bz2 -o /tmp/portage-2.0.49-r21.tar.bz2

uncompress it in /tmp with cd /tmp;tar xjf portage-2.0.49-r21.tar.bz2

2. mkdir -p /usr/lib/portage/bin; mkdir /usr/portage ; mkdir /etc/env.d
3. cd /tmp/portage-*/bin ; cp * /usr/lib/portage/bin
4. export PATH=/usr/lib/portage/bin:$PATH
5. cd ../pym ; cp * /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages ; ignore any warnings.
6. cd ../man ;cp *.1 /usr/man/man1 ;cp *.5 /usr/man/man5
7. cd ../src/python-missingos
8. ./setup.py install
9. cd ../sandbox-1.1
10. make && make install
11. cd ../../cnf; cp * /etc
12. create group portage(250) in /etc/portage and add user root to it.
create user portage(250) also with /var/tmp/portage as home.
13. COPY contents from /usr/portage/profiles from a working gentoo box to /usr/portage/profiles. I haven't been able to find where these come from(qpkg -f <>, not that useful after all). But its pretty generic thing, get it from any gentoo box.

14. ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4 /etc/make.profile.
15. Modify /etc/make.conf for your taste.
15a. create file /etc/env.d/compiler with these two lines:
CC=gcc
CXX=g++

source this file as well with ". /etc/env.d/compiler"

16. emerge sync; if it cribs in this step about missing files, just link /usr/lib/portage/bin/* into /usr/sbin and /usr/bin.
ln -s /usr/lib/portage/bin/* /usr/sbin
ln -s /usr/lib/portage/bin/* /usr/bin
After step 20, make sure to remove the links which are outdated in these two dirs, otherwise you will always be calling /usr/bin/ebuild.sh when /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh is the latest one.

17. emerge inject <glibc version reported by sync>
18. emerge inject <gcc version reported by sync>

emerge portage
emerge -f baselayout.
untar baselayout from /usr/portage/distfiles/baselayout* in /tmp. cd /tmp/baselayout*/sbin; cp depscan.sh /sbin; cp functions.sh /sbin
mkdir -p /lib/rcscripts/awk
cd ../awk
cp *.awk /lib/rcscripts/awk/
emerge gawk
emerge portage

19. emerge inject <baselayoutversion reported by sync>
20. You should be all set to emerge most of the stuff.

Remember if you get into env. variable problems where PATH is not getting set properly for the newly emerged packages(like jdk in /opt/), /etc/env.d is the dir for you. env-update reads files in this dir to create /etc/profile.env file.
I had to create /etc/env.d/10ldpath with following line for ld.so.conf to work properly:

LDPATH="/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/kerberos/lib"

I had to source /etc/profile.env in /etc/profile as well. You might have to do something similar.

I use the following script to prune out all packages I have marked unsafe for portage on Fedora.
-------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
emerge sync
emerge -p -uD world > /tmp/world.update
for i in `cat /etc/portage/package.mask.ORG` ;
do
matching=`grep "$i" /tmp/world.update`
if [ -n "$matching" ]; then
toInject=`echo $matching|cut -d " " -f 4`;
echo "Injecting $toInject"
'emerge' inject $toInject
fi
done
echo "# #"
echo "################# UPDATES #######################"
echo "# #"
cat /tmp/world.update

-------------------------------------------

Currently, my /etc/portage/package.mask.ORG looks like this:
--------------
sys-apps/baselayout
sys-fs/devfsd
sys-kernel/linux-headers
sys-libs/pwdb
sys-libs/pam
sys-libs/pam-login
gnome-base/gdm
sys-apps/kbd
sys-devel/bin86
sys-devel/binutils
net-misc/iputils
sys-apps/shadow
net-misc/dhcpcd
sys-apps/slocate
sys-apps/modutils
sys-libs/glibc
sys-devel/gcc
sys-libs/ncurses
app-crypt/hashalot
sys-apps/cronbase
x11-base/opengl-update
net-nds/openldap
net-mail/mailbase
net-www/epiphany
net-nds/portmap
net-fs/samba
net-misc/openssh
dev-lang/python
sys-fs/e2fsprogs
-------------------

no specific reason for anything other than baselayout, glibc, gcc, binutils, I usually update these fabfour with up2date once in a while. These four you should never emerge. Remember, services are handled by different mechanisms in gentoo and other distros, so anything which has to do with services you can't really emerge because you didn't emerge baselayout and hence don't have rc-update script. you could hack around them though.

perfect for keeping xfree, gnome, multimedia kind of stuff up2date.

Good luck.

Last edited by devsk on Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Clock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: binutils refuse to merge Reply with quote

I get this strange error. I have been investigating in /var/tmp/portage*binutils* and realized first ./configure guesses system type to be "". However, config.guess guesses it correctly to be i686-pc-linux-gnu. It is caused by some strange variable "nonopts" that is set to "" from ac_opts even when ./configure is called without args (!!!) and then tested to NONE but because it's not NONE it doesn't call config.guess.

I forced it to call config.guess however it still writes the usage of config.status at which point I gave up.

Script started on Sat Jan 17 17:46:50 2004
root@beton:~$ emerge tar
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 17) sys-devel/binutils-2.14.90.0.6-r6 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) binutils-2.14.90.0.6.tar.bz2
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking binutils-2.14.90.0.6.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.14.90.
0.6-r6/work
>>> Source unpacked.
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 161: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 48: einfo: command not found
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... config.sub: missing argument
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.

checking target system type... config.sub: missing argument

checking build system type... config.sub: missing argument

checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for ld... ld
checking for nm... nm
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for windres... windres
checking for objcopy... objcopy
checking for objdump... objdump
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for ld... ld
checking for nm... nm
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for windres... windres
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
Usage: ./config.status [--recheck] [--version] [--help]

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/binutils-2.14.90.0.6-r6 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 135, Exitcode 1
!!! (no error message)

Also can anyone advise where to get those "eend" and "einfo" commands? Everyone is desiring them here ;-)
Clock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: bash won't build Reply with quote

Don't you know how to get rid of this error?

emerge bash
/bin/install:cannot create regular file '/var/tmp/portage/bash-2.05-r7//image/usr/bin/bash': No such file or directory

I wonder why it needs the file to exist for creation? Did God also require this world to exist prior to creating it? If so, then God's task was dead simple.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of writing a script to install portage on non-gentoo platforms. When I am done I will post it. I will appreciate if you tested that script.

If you decide to not wait/go with the script, for your error, you need to see steps where I untar baselayout and copy few .sh files to /sbin. Also, do you have portage user and group?

moreover, use emerge -p first to see what it will emerge. never emerge those "fabfour" packages on redhat.
romaninsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: binutils refuse to merge Reply with quote

Clock wrote:

[ ... ]
Also can anyone advise where to get those "eend" and "einfo" commands? Everyone is desiring them here ;-)

you are missing /etc/init.d/functions.sh
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I mentioned above(after 17. in my longest post ever...:)), you need functions.sh and depscan.sh extracted from baselayout tar and put into /sbin...don't create unnecessasry file in /etc/init.d.

BTW, automatic install script for portage for other distros is in now available at:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=786280
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: