Help with P2V conversion to ESXi 5.5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianLeB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Help with P2V conversion to ESXi 5.5 Reply with quote

Hello I am a Linux newb and am hopeless with Gentoo, but that said I performed a P2V using VMware Vcenter Converter version 6.0 and the conversion succeeds without any errors but the VM will not boot up after the conversion. Please see the attached screenshot. I've googled this issue to death and have tried every solution I can find, though most of them are not related to Gentoo but other distros. VMware support will not help because Gentoo is not officially supported. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://postimg.org/image/k4h4yzng3/
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums! I have two hints for you:

1) Looks like it failed to mount root during boot. You likely have to define your virtual drives somewhere in vmWare. Right now initramfs doesn't see it, hence the "attempted to kill init" mesage. Note: I know boot process, not vmWare. I don't know how you should define it, but at least you know what to look for. (you might also have several drives and define them in wrong order)
2) Don't start with Gentoo. It's cool and you're gonna love it when you get used to it, but the learning curve is very steep. Take Ubuntu or Debian first and make them your primary OS for every day use. They are more noob-friendly and will let you discover the basics in far less painful way. Once you get bored with them, it's a good time to move along. Getting to Gentoo will still be a challenge, but at this point you're gonna be experienced enough not to get repelled (or maybe even smashed) away before you even start your first installation.
BrianLeB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried checking the /etc/fstab file and /boot/grub/grub.conf and all the drives align as they should and UUID seem okay, is there anywhere else I should check to make sure that /dev/sda1 is being mounted as root? I've tried a bunch of these type articles

http://blog.edgoad.com/2010/03/vmware-no-volume-groups-found.html

But have not had any luck, granted they are for CentOS but I was hoping that the behavior was similar enough to resolve.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: