Question related to profile and installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Question related to profile and installation Reply with quote

What I really don't quite understand and I believe it used to be different a few years ago is that when you choose a profile like for instance desktop/kde and you are just at the beginning of installing your base system, all lot of packages related to the profile kde get pulled in when you simply want to emerge something like Networkmanager or something else. If I remember correctly a few years ago I could - just after compiling and doing the few steps to complete the installation install smaller packages without problems and then decide to do the big step and go for the DE. I can't believe that this behaviour is completely related to the fact of having X enabled as USE flag in make.conf.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolstoi ... such is the case ... if merging networkmanager with the kde profile selected then 'consolekit', 'bluetooth', 'modemmanager', 'ppp', (and more) will be set, this will pull in bluez, which pulls in dbus, etc, etc ... until the list of dependent packages (again, pulling additional packages based on the profile) becomes a substantial list. That's pretty much how things work, and other that the bloat that comes as standard with DE's, portage has always done that ... so, trim down the useflags you don't need via make.conf or package.use ... or select another profile.

best ... khay
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Khayyam for the explanation. I thought this used to be different in the past but I' m probably wrong.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: