Account signup page
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Account signup page Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss such things, plus I'm not sure of the costs / privacy implications.

I've seen a few websites use this https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

Would something like this help to reduce the amount of spam posts that we see?

Please feel free to shoot a Redeemer at this if you feel this is a horrendous idea.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Account signup page Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
Please feel free to shoot a Redeemer at this if you feel this is a horrendous idea.

MrMe01 ... pppeeewww ... that would be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. ;) ... I'm far less worried about the crap that I might see here than the crap google considers "new security features" ... particularly when they have "no plans to fix" such things given the "futility of preventing origin-level leakage."

best ... khay
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Account signup page Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

MrMe01 ... pppeeewww ... that would be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. ;) ... I'm far less worried about the crap that I might see here than the crap google considers "new security features" ... particularly when they have "no plans to fix" such things given the "futility of preventing origin-level leakage."

best ... khay

Wow! I had no idea this kind of thing was going on, I'm a Chrome user with Adblock, Scriptsafe and Privacy Badger installed. No websites popped up in the list of sites I've visited, but that is very scary!

I will gladly accept that Redeemer now.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captcha is only an interim solution as pattern recognition technology advances computers will be able to read captcha's better than humans. As an example, the USPS handwriting recognition software is already better than most humans.

It's also unfair to the visually impaired.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Captcha is only an interim solution as pattern recognition technology advances computers will be able to read captcha's better than humans. As an example, the USPS handwriting recognition software is already better than most humans.

It's also unfair to the visually impaired.

It's a box you tick. Seriously. No typing or trying to understand the squiggles. You literally click in a tickbox. http://i.stack.imgur.com/9GWDK.png

http://superuser.com/questions/814174/how-does-googles-new-re-captcha-work
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25545514/how-does-this-checkbox-recaptcha-work-and-how-can-i-use-it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: