View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Help me pick a terminal :) Reply with quote

I started with LXDE and tried a few other DE's then came back to LXDE. LXterminal however doesn't work the way I expect it to in two critical ways I'm used to with the windows command prompt (which I've been used to for nearly 20 years since NT3.51)

What I'm hoping for is a terminal that can do cut, by simply select a portion of the screen, then something like enter or a right click in the area to execute the cut, and secondly, a paste which is just a right click.

Anyone know of a console that works like this?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know any that allow cut, simply because it makes no sense to cut anything in a terminal. Why cutting something that was made already?

if you just seek copy/paste, select what you want, and middle click where you want it (yeah i know it's too simple)
fourth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's pretty much perfect as is. I had no idea that merely selecting text would put it on the clipboard.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourth wrote:
Thanks, that's pretty much perfect as is. I had no idea that merely selecting text would put it on the clipboard.

fourth ... given this is a terminal, and so shell, you can use stdout to place the output on the clipboard (with the use of x11-misc/xclip), eg:

Code:
% echo hello | xclip

Also, the clipboard can be used from within 'command line' utilities, ie vim:

paste the clipboard
Code:
"*p

copy selection to clipboard (ie, using visual and range respectively)
Code:
:'<,'>!xclip
"*y1,5

HTH & best ... khay
ShaneCar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a look at Gnome 3 as a potential alternative to LXDE. Gnome is lightweight, has great UI and very intuitive. Gnome also has very simple command lines. You may also want to look at Xfce is your looking to go lighter but willing to sacrifice UI.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneCar wrote:
I would take a look at Gnome 3 as a potential alternative to LXDE. Gnome is lightweight, has great UI and very intuitive. Gnome also has very simple command lines. You may also want to look at Xfce is your looking to go lighter but willing to sacrifice UI.

Laptop here gives
Code:
free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       8052104     243744    7808360      41140       3084     108404
-/+ buffers/cache:     132256    7919848
Swap:      8048528          0    8048528
with all required kernel features core included (almost no modules), LXDE started session and WIFI/NetworkManager activated.
Just wondering what your numbers under GNOME are?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora-23-desktops&num=1 may be somehow interesting regarding GUI selection omong common ones.

Here LXDE LXTERMINAL sometimes loses carriage return management after some manual Ctrl C.
Since the whole system is compiled with some quite bleeding edge param such as LTO, GRAPHITE & OPENMP by default, it is hard to tell where the error comes from.

Thks 4 ur attention.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:

Laptop here gives
Code:
free
Mem:       8052104     243744    7808360      41140       3084     108404
-/+ buffers/cache:     132256    7919848
Swap:      8048528          0    8048528
with all required kernel features core included (almost no modules), LXDE started session and WIFI/NetworkManager activated.
Just wondering what your numbers under GNOME are?

The output of free does not mean anything. For example here's my
Code:

Mem:      12101248   11429384     671864     110216         12   10197668
-/+ buffers/cache:    1231704   10869544
Swap:       524284      13184     511100

And I don't use any desktop environment, only Sawfish WM. The trick is simple, I have
Code:
│none                    /var/tmp/portage    tmpfs

in my /etc/fstab.

As to terminal emulator, I use x11-terms/rxvt-unicode. So far this is the only one that doesn't have glitches even if I input international characters. Plus it allows use of any font that I like. BTW, the "command lines" have nothing to do with terminal emulator. Here available features are defined by shell and not by terminal emulator.
fourth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the system as a total, my LXDE system as measured within the LX provided task manager on a freshly installed system was 140mb(ish). Last time I checked it's now at 200mb, for the whole system. This includes samba, wine, alsa, wireless, desktop bitmap, etc... I'm not experienced enough with the OS yet to look over the task list and find fat to cull, but even with this 7yo dell e4300 200mb of 4gb is good enough.

I generally use the absolute most lightweight way of doing this, either on a desktop or in my c++. I like fast snappy interfaces, and the less data flowing over the buses and less interaction between software the slicker it'll run. As mention in my intro post I'm an old school MCSE(since NT 3.51) who finally got sick of MS's treatment. I ran Windows 2000 until 2007 and only upgraded when I wanted wireless. I dropped xp to get access to some app that only worked on 7, but when W10 spyware patches were pushed on to my system I had enough. Before settling on lx I tried Enlightenment, xfce, flux, blackbox...

For Me, LXDE reminds me a lot of the W2000 system I felt most productive on. small lightweight snappy.

I'm just wanting to be able to do basic things like cut some text off a console (like an error message) and paste it in to a search page. the LXterminal tip above did work, but I found out a day later that it only worked within the terminal. I could not just select some text, and CTRL-V outside that terminal. So I'm still hunting for something better.

Yes, I'm moving to LXQt... once I can work out how to get polkit to not die in the middle of it's compile or for lxqt-meta to not require pulling in ~x86 packages... (I have enough bugs to sort out already. :) )

I guess I could just install them all and --unmerge each one when I find it doesn't serve my purposes:

https://packages.gentoo.org/categories/x11-terms
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old Digital VT-100 once. It's got a regular RS-232 port and a white on black CRT. It could even do double wide/high text.

Alas I don't like that terminal as it's way too big and heavy.

The Digital VT-220 is much smaller and more convenient. But I'd miss out on the white on black text, I never liked those green monochrome screens.

Oh...sorry, we were talking about terminal emulators... Drat.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like terminal G22 at the Atlanta airport. Wait, does that actually exist?

Ok, I like Sakura. It's lightweight and it has tabs, along with easy font and size selection.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keet wrote:
I really like terminal G22 at the Atlanta airport. Wait, does that actually exist?

I can't choose, I need both on my batteries.
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want Ctl-V to do paste, make a LXDE key binding to do that.

I don't know exactly how to do it, but a quick review using a search engine shows a few pages of how to make LXDE key bindings. The reason I am unable to quickly provide cookie-cutter instructions is that I run FVWM for a desk manager.

There is loads of power under the X-windows hood, and many packages that facilitate transfer of data (select/copy/paste like activities) between applications. I won't say that a solution is trivial, but if you like LXDE, you shouldn't search for an alternative WM/DM just to get Ctl-V paste funciton.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: