View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: DOlphin has no context-menu functions Reply with quote

So, I was away for all the excitement when plasma was released over the summer (?), and now I'm back working with some of the applications, and I'm seeing … strange behavior with dolphin.

For one, I can no longer right-click and see options to "create new…" anything besides "link to device." That is, no file, no folders. This is … suboptimal for a file manager.

Further, there are no services for ark or kgpg (ie, I can't compress or encrypt anything by right-clicking), and the "services" tab has nothing that would let me add them.

Further, there are no icons for anything. Konqueror is nicely using the iconset I specified, but dolphin is not. Dolphin also apparently will not pay attention to any theme settings, and instead uses the default (fugly) theme for its colors.

Is this just a problem with what appears to be a messy transition from KDE4 to KDE5? Will this get resolved? Or am I doing something wrong with my settings (a distinct possibility)?

Cheers,

EE
PS- what packages are actually contained in the KDE overlay? Would some of them solve my issues?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just upgrade the applications, and still running a kde4 workspace? Running kf5-based applications in a kde4 workspace is not supported and buggy, theme support would require emerging at least parts of plasma-5, which conflict with kde4 workspace.

Missing 'extract/compress' context menu options are atm caused by version mismatches between libkonq and dolphin, a kf5-based libkonq unfortunately has not been released thus far.

kgpg unfortunately does not have a frameworks branch at all.

KDE overlay right now contains additional applications which haven't made it into portage at this point. Only parts of 15.08.2 are in tree.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doomed, because I don't use KDE at all: I use fvwm, and konqueror/dolphin just happens to be my file manager.

So since dolphin now seems to have none of the functionality I want, how do I set konqueror as my file manager? Every time I start it, when I click the "home directory" link on its opening screen, dolphin fires up. I thought that was because konqueror was no longer usable as a file browser and that dolphin is thus ready for use, but that seems not to be the case.

Cheers,

EE
PS- as a consolation prize I'd accept any file manager that has context menus for creating folders, encrypting/compressing files, and all the other basic operations, that is otherwise lightweight. Suggestions?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphin:5 not integrating with other environments currently is a known bug.

You can still use dolphin:4 then. konqueror hasn't seen development in a long time...
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes, dolphin:4 works way better. Thanks!

One question: in "Details" view, the background is stippled, but alternating my default background color (dark gray) with a pale white. This makes my default text color (light gray) hard to read. Konqueror didn't do this; is there a way to fix it?

Cheers,

EE
UPDATE: whoops, nvm, found it. ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals has all the color values, which I can edit by hand with the aid of an RGB color picker. HARDCORE
stibog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fixed this problem my self... :) Libkong is supposed to include the missing context menu, but I'm unable to compile it on my computer atm.
However, I managed to do it on my wife's computer... So I copied the files to my computer, and boom it works!
Here's the template files in a tar.gz file, extract to / the archive got full filepaths.
It's the same files as you'd get from libkong, just without libkong :D

Cheers :)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01029361584331293519

GFX: Asus 680GTX
CPU: Intel Q9550 quad @ 3,4ghz
HDD: 2x 60gb SSD raid 0 as boot disc. 2x 1tb raid 0 for storage + single 750gb for backups.

+laptop Asus X52JV running Gentoo 64bit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: