View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: KDE5 Dolphin file manager no compress option Reply with quote

Good day everyone,

I am trying to find a way to add "archive" or "compress" functionality to my Dolphin file manger. I've got Dolphin 15.08.0 and KDE5. I've installed ark but in available services option in "Configure Dolphin" there is no "compression" available in Services list. So I looked for file compression/archive plugin in "Download new services" but none of the listed plugins seem to provide file archiving features. I don't mind archiving files manually, but it's a nice convenience feature to compress a directory straight within Dolphin's UI.

Does anybody know what must be done to add file archiving support in Dolphin?

Thank you kindly,
Victor.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These actions are part of libkonq, which unfortunately has not had a kf5-based release yet.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: KDE5 Dolphin file manager no compress option Reply with quote

victorsk wrote:
Good day everyone,

I am trying to find a way to add "archive" or "compress" functionality to my Dolphin file manger. I've got Dolphin 15.08.0 and KDE5. I've installed ark but in available services option in "Configure Dolphin" there is no "compression" available in Services list. So I looked for file compression/archive plugin in "Download new services" but none of the listed plugins seem to provide file archiving features. I don't mind archiving files manually, but it's a nice convenience feature to compress a directory straight within Dolphin's UI.

I have this functionality with dolphin 15.08.1. When I right click on a file or folder I get a selection of compress>tar, zip, rar or compress to... options. I added rar and zip but ark must have installed with the KDE app's.
Johan_V
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try copying konqpopupmenuplugin.desktop from libkonq-4.* to /usr/share/kservicetypes5/
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

app-arch/p7zip with 'kde' USE flag integrates with Dolphin, but I haven't tried KDE5 though.
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. Tried two last suggestions above. When I issued:

Code:

cp /usr/share/kde4/servicetypes/konqpopupmenuplugin.desktop /usr/share/kservicetypes5/

I've got a new "Open Terminal Here" option when I right-click on a folder in Dolphin.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the same trick for p7zip works with the .desktop files in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/p7zip*
Johan_V
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried adding services again in configure dolphin/services? For me, those configuration options started only having effect after copying the konqpopmenuplugin.desktop file.
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I have now messed up my entire KDE5 installation resulting in wireless connection loss and panels misbehaving. This was the result of me not knowing what I was doing because I tried to copy more *.desktop files to /usr/share/kservicetypes5/ which resulted in KDE5 not working properly. What I did was install XFCE from wired connection and install nm-applet. Now I have XFCE instead :? But at least it's working properly. I'll re-install KDE5 when I have time (I am at work now).

Thank you all for all your suggestions.

Thanks,
Victor.

ADDED: My installation of XFCE has led to installing Thunar file manger and I was able to add compress and extract options in Thunar instead :)
otakugeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorsk wrote:
Thank you for your replies. Tried two last suggestions above. When I issued:

Code:

cp /usr/share/kde4/servicetypes/konqpopupmenuplugin.desktop /usr/share/kservicetypes5/

I've got a new "Open Terminal Here" option when I right-click on a folder in Dolphin.

Thanks, works for me
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: