[SOLVED] rEFInd disappearing after rebooting from Windows
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rien_nothing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] rEFInd disappearing after rebooting from Windows Reply with quote

I had everything set up perfectly yesterday: SecureBoot was enabled, everything was signed with my keys, Windows booted just fine, so did Linux. After a Windows update, however (I'm assuming that's what caused this, but I'm not sure), every time I boot into windows, rEFInd disappears when I reboot, and my system just skips straight to the Windows bootloader. The only way I've found to fix it is to toggle SecureBoot, then rEFInd comes back. I'm not sure what config files or output to post, since I'm having trouble making sense of what's happening, but I'll be happy to post whatever's relevant.

Last edited by rien_nothing on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i saw a week back as I first installed windows 10, after 7 years without windows, is that windows enables the secureboot feature of uefi bios. Without telling the user or anything. windows just is able these days to overwrite the bios settings and tells you nothing about it. (not very secure and honest behaviour when you ask me, when settings gets changd wtithout telling the user in the first place).

as you already said, disable secure boot and you may see your boot options again, you may need to reinstall your bootlaoder / bootsettings, if windi 10 has overwritten them without asking (which i assume).

With that securboot stuff, systemrescuecd does not boot also.
uefi is broken in my eyes, does not boot firmware updater disc from plextor for my plextor ssd. (old mbr laptop does boot the disc)

secureboot was microsfot way to get rid of those bootloader viruses which windows had for years (fix something which causes more troubles)

I do not see any benefit anyway for secure boot ... (windows 10 users need to think about privacy and security anyway with other tools / setups / that uefi secure boot won*t fix anything for them)
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows is being typical and self centered. It wiped out whatever you did to make secure boot work, probably your custom keys. Just repeat the procedure to inform the bios about them.

Unfortunately, this is likely to be a recurring problem. Windows doesn't play well with others.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
rien_nothing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

I believe I have found the issue. It seems Windows had somehow snuck a fallback bootloader into a different directory. Even though efibootmgr was pointing to rEFInd, somehow Windows was loading from this fallback bootloader that was in another location. I renamed it, and all is normal now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: