Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ruby 1.9 removal; Ruby 2.0/2.1 default with redmine support?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Ruby 1.9 removal; Ruby 2.0/2.1 default with redmine support? Reply with quote

Does anyone try to setup www-apps/redmine-2.4.6 with ruby2.0 default target?????

Or redmine packages unsupported now? On redmine site 3 version of redmine (2.6.7 3.0.5 3.1.1) and they need each other version of ruby\rails\gems etc.

Maybe people was too fast than they remove ruby1.9 target support....

http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/RedmineInstall

Do not update portage without hotdog!

Xenogentooway?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the devs wrote in their eselect news stuff, taht ruby 1.9 is dead(or the version which was removed). A package which is unmaintained do not belong in the tree anymore. you can put it in your local overlay when you want it (gentoo wiki local overlay keyword)

you can check gentoo overlays => google gentoo overlay search ... and you get a serach engine for ebuilds, ... also check bugs.gentoo.org or ebuilds.
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurray !!! Does developers knows how much systems with redmine say emerge --sync and brake all the work.

Now gentoo admins can't setup redmine from gentoo portage=))

Developers doesn't knows! Developers doesn't knows! Developers doesn't knows! ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Realy they make mad many peoples! I try to advice them use redmine with Debian distrbution.

Xenogentooway?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gpo.zugaina.org/www-apps/redmine

i think one of those ebuilds will work probably.

just checked out the first ebuild and look

Quote:
Close

# Copyright 1999-2015 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Id$

EAPI=5
USE_RUBY="ruby20 ruby21"
inherit eutils depend.apache ruby-ng user

it wants ruby 20 or ruby 21, yay
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Than i worked with redmine my developers doesn't want updated version! They wanted workable version. So than i update redmine-1.4.3 to redmine-2.4.6 thay didn't like.

Thay say: what we get with that new version? I sad them that thay can use new plugins and security and error fixes,
but them don't need them, and older version of plugins didn't worked after major version has changed, cause they needed older version gemses and ruby and rail and jruby. So older version gemses didn't worked with new version of ruby or rails %)

And they say that new version of redmine with new version of ruby works slower =) And them was right about it. So if all is work but you needed new portage to emerge new version of apache\kernel you need make emerge --sync and loose ruby1.9 targets and workable redmine application =)))

So in a fact it's ruby problems but if you want use older plugins for backward compability, you need older version of redmine and older version of ruby on rails =) AND NOW OLDER VERSION OF PORTAGE there you needed redmine-1.4.3.ebuilds and redmine-2.4.6.ebuild and ruby1.9 targets %)

And if you see howtos on redmine site:
http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/HowTos#Gentoo

You can understand that many people can't use redmine with gentoo =)

Xenogentooway?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerJr wrote:
Than i worked with redmine my developers doesn't want updated version! They wanted workable version. So than i update redmine-1.4.3 to redmine-2.4.6 thay didn't like.

Thay say: what we get with that new version? I sad them that thay can use new plugins and security and error fixes,
but them don't need them, and older version of plugins didn't worked after major version has changed, cause they needed older version gemses and ruby and rail and jruby. So older version gemses didn't worked with new version of ruby or rails %)

And they say that new version of redmine with new version of ruby works slower =) And them was right about it. So if all is work but you needed new portage to emerge new version of apache\kernel you need make emerge --sync and loose ruby1.9 targets and workable redmine application =)))

So in a fact it's ruby problems but if you want use older plugins for backward compability, you need older version of redmine and older version of ruby on rails =) AND NOW OLDER VERSION OF PORTAGE there you needed redmine-1.4.3.ebuilds and redmine-2.4.6.ebuild and ruby1.9 targets %)

And if you see howtos on redmine site:
http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/HowTos#Gentoo

You can understand that many people can't use redmine with gentoo =)

You should :
1/ Tell your devs they are pussies whiners
2/ Show them https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2015/02/23/support-for-ruby-1-9-3-has-ended/
3/ If some of them still don't get it (whiners are generally also stupid incompetent or lazzy), tell them it mean ruby 1.9 hasn't been looked for any bugs since that date, and even bugs found in newer version weren't back port to fix 1.9.
4/ a slow redmine on ruby 2.0 is ALWAYS better than a fast redmine on a buggy or with security issues... ruby 1.9

5/ You should also endup the explain with some other insult, as they really are pussies whiners and deserve some ; and it would saved you from another crying section next time something change and they should adapt to it
5/ For a more diplomatic way (if they cry because they are lazy but competent) you can also tell them to switch the language from ruby to another one and rewrote the whole project. Showing their lazy "oh we need to code more to adapt to a new version" can be fix but by coding even more (remembering them even with the new language, the policies to drop unmaintained versions will still be use).
While it's more diplomatic, i think you really should endup with some insult ; still to saved you crys from next update.
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say only about a problem, and you say - that thay are pussie =)

You can began holy-war. Now my progs can say that gerontology is for lasy idiots who nothing knows about object oriented methods. Scriptsuckers. Pythonfuckers. Etc.

And then they say - do we need that ugly scriptoriented nooby linux gentoo? Let's change distribution to CentOS or Debian or LFS. Because they are egoists and make distribution only for yourself and not for other people. Cause they think that other people pussie?

And than what can i do? Change distribution to them or change the work with another company who use gentoo?

So if you didn't know political correctness and want that another developers treated with respect to you or your team don't forget to use respect too.

SO SHOULD I BEGIN HOLYWAR?

Xenogentooway?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friend lol

make an overlay, and pull in those ebuilds and sources.

tough, end of life cylce says all. (up to jooo waht you doooo) kk
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerJr wrote:
You can began holy-war.

You or I didn't start any war ; they did with their comments.

TigerJr wrote:
Let's change distribution to CentOS or Debian or LFS. Because they are egoists and make distribution only for yourself and not for other people. Cause they think that other people pussie?

Changing distribution will do nothing, any decent distribution should update and remove that buggy/insecure version.
If you really want to keep it by changing distribution, you need to change to one that is not update, and insecure (well, in their minds it doesn't seems a problem to use insecure thing).

TigerJr wrote:
So if you didn't know political correctness and want that another developers treated with respect to you or your team don't forget to use respect too.

The political correctness comes from both side, if first side isn't why should you? And their crys are not. It's not correct to ask to keep something that is known flaw to ease your own little life. And their argument about a "workable version" is not one, the version is known to be no more update, verify and fix, far from what anyone would tag "workable".
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:

Changing distribution will do nothing, any decent distribution should update and remove that buggy/insecure version.
If you really want to keep it by changing distribution, you need to change to one that is not update, and insecure (well, in their minds it doesn't seems a problem to use insecure thing).

If you read first message of the topic, you can understand that: after removing ruby1.9 you haven't any workable redmine application in portage.

Thats only problem about i write here.
And saying that my progs are pussies can't solve any problem.

Not any of advice you give me what should i do - can't solve that problem. I can't solve that problem and as i see you can't install redmine from portage to make that application workable. And not any of gentoo users as i know.

And i think that you can't tel me what better or what secure or what buggy.

P\S

holywar.py vs holywar.so ?

Xenogentooway?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerJr wrote:
If you read first message of the topic, you can understand that: after removing ruby1.9 you haven't any workable redmine application in portage.

Thats only problem about i write here.

No, that's only clear to you, from what i see here, ruby2 is state to work with redmine (by the ebuild deps). Do you mean the ebuild is broken and that redmine-2.4.6 doesn't work with ruby 2?
If the dev (gentoo one) think redmine-2.4.6 works with ruby 2 and it doesn't, that's a problem for bugs.gentoo.org
Once this is fix, they should see no redmine version in the tree could be use with ruby 2 and they should add a new version handling it then.

But if really redmine-2.4.6 doesn't work with ruby 2, the later (adding a new version for ruby2) will never happen until you tell them the redmine-2.4.6 deps are wrong.

see, it have a ruby20 target
Code:
[ebuild  N     ] www-apps/redmine-2.4.6::gentoo  USE="-fastcgi -imagemagick -ldap -passenger {-test}" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby20 -ruby19" 3 795 KiB
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i did something wrong, but after emerge --sync - redmine-2.4.6 did not worked. That's a fact.

I will try reinstall all the system from the stage, but reinstalling all the system for updating environment, that is not good.

Xenogentooway?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerJr wrote:
Maybe i did something wrong, but after emerge --sync - redmine-2.4.6 did not worked. That's a fact.

That's another fact, only clear to you.
I don't know what "redmine-2.4.6 did not worked" mean myself.
- Are you saying emerge redmine-2.4.6 work, but redmine doesn't run like it should : in this case, it seems deps of redmine were met and the package is fine then, and it must be some change in redmine configuration you didn't adapt it to.
- If you are saying emerge fail to build or install redmine, we have just no idea why/where/who/when... The only info you gave us is that "it did not worked".

TigerJr wrote:
I will try reinstall all the system from the stage, but reinstalling all the system for updating environment, that is not good.

That's not need, and killer. If really you are in such a need, do that in a VM, or for just 1 package, use a livecd, build a minimal chroot (a basic stage3 file) and emerge the package from that testing env.
You don't have to kill your gentoo to test 1 package ; that Windows habit to reinstall is a bad one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: