How do I start JWM on Sabayon?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: How do I start JWM on Sabayon? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm running Sabayon and I have installed JWM with Entropy (I have also tried installing it with Portage and manually installing it from source code as workarounds, both have failed) and I have this /usr/share/xsessions/jwm.desktop file:
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=JWM
Comment=Joe's Window Manager
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Exec=xinit /usr/bin/jwm
TryExec=/usr/bin/jwm

If you are wondering what's with my Exec line, well this is something I saw on the ArchWiki (and yes I have tried omitting "xinit" in this command). But whenever I try to log into JWM with SDDM or LightDM nothing happens and I am brought back to the login screen.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forum.sabayon.org/
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
https://forum.sabayon.org/

I've tried there, see https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=32698.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution IMHO is install the real McCoy:Gentoo Linux.
Warning: No graphical installer!

It has jwm-2.1.0 in stable.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried installing JWM from the Portage Tree with Portage. As for transitioning to Gentoo Linux, well I'm not an experienced or competent enough a Linux user to make that transition, yet at least.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with JWM, but I'd imagine you should have some logs laying about describing just what happens when you try to run it. I'm also not familiar with SDDM nor LightDM, as I simply run 'startx' to launch my DE/WM...

Anyblue, I'd probably look for any log-files those might write, as well as /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what's going on there.

fusion809 wrote:
As for transitioning to Gentoo Linux, well I'm not an experienced or competent enough a Linux user to make that transition, yet at least.

Aside from a couple of Ubuntu installs, Gentoo Linux is my first real experience with Linux. That was me coming straight from Windows in 2010, so “not an experienced or competent enough a Linux user” is no excuse! ^^
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo takes a while until it runs.

When you can not afford to fix issues / have the time for it maybe ubuntu is the right choice.

The first time it tooks me 2 weeks until it was production ready.
recently i wasted less than a week to move my installation. mostly the stupid uefi was the cause this time.

I used arch-linux / ubuntu / linux-mint / and a few others, but in gentoo i achieved to fix issues where in other distros it is a lost cause.

some issues are time consuming, i doubt you can reduce the time to fix something or learn something until you go back to those binary distros or windows itself. though i doubt about it when i have used windows 10 for a few days, trying to configure it.

--

As you have an existing sabayon installation, and it claims it is loosely based on gentoo, loosely, far far away, you can clone the configs and use these config files to boot your gentoo. that should reduce the installation time a lot.

I checked out htose forums for calculate, sabayon, funtoo, and these forums are basically dead. no guys with knowledge or when they do not bother to answer topics. (Just was interested when others were posting issues here from those loosely based gentoo distros)
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my info about X is rusty, since my box is headless for quite some time now. Though, following explains how I started openbox wm until then.

you may boot to console, check if /etc/X11/Sessions/jvm is avail, set XSESSION=jvm in /etc/env.d/90xsession and run startx. if it fails /var/log/Xorg.?.log is a starting point to debug.

references you may browse in future; google helps.

[0] http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/guide.shtml
[1] https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/x11-wm/jwm/jwm-2.1.0.ebuild?revision=1.6&view=markup

would be git repo better? o well ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: