Kernel downgrade broke systems...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Kernel downgrade broke systems... Reply with quote

Alright, despite 3.18 being supported longer than 3.14, it is gone. Now I have a room of systems which refuse to use X due to the nVidia module refusing to build. I have masked nvidia-drivers over version 304.125. Now it wants me to unmask it so it can install version 355, which will not work with the hardware on our systems. What do I do? I need these things online with hardware 3D support, which means NO NOUVEAU!
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally figured it out. I discovered that 304.125 was removed, so I went to the nVidia site and searched for the card (Quadro NVS 120M) and discovered that 319 was the final version which supported the card. I then changed my mask to anything above 319.0, and it is now building 304.128. This will then be used by the other systems. Looks like the issue was the driver version being removed, not my downgrade, though I would still rather have a newer kernel without going to 4 or an unstable/testing one.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, unmask gentoo-sources-3.18*.
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current stable nvidia-drivers-304.128 Version supported kernel up to and including linux-4.2
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought nVidia had issues on 4.x? Either way, ALSA is borked on 4.0.5 and nothing else is stable, so I am holding at 3.x for now. Also, I do not unmask testing/unstable things critical to my system, like the kernel. I do not mind non-essential things like a game, but not mission-critical things. The issue was masking the drivers above 304.125, not the kernel.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
The issue was masking the drivers above 304.125, not the kernel.

The issue was also an uncalled-for kernel downgrade.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 3.18 was removed and the other 3.18 kernels are still listed as testing. It is my opinion that you do not remove a kernel until a newer one works. Seriously, what would be the harm in leaving 3.18.16 up until 3.18.xx was stable?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.0.5 works.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
I thought nVidia had issues on 4.x? Either way, ALSA is borked on 4.0.5 and nothing else is stable, so I am holding at 3.x for now.
You've clearly got something very out of the ordinary going on. I've been running 4.0.5 since it went stable and have no issues with alsa, though I use it without pulseaudio or any such travesty. The machine I'm on now has an nvidia card that requires the older (304) drivers, and the only ones that required patches for kernel 4.x were those before 304.125.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are at a stable point it can be worth putting your current things into an overlay so when they fall out the tree it doesn't automatically down/upgrade them.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't matter at all for the topic at hand, especially for the kernel. The installed sources will stay on the system on an upgrade/downgrade because they are slotted in portage. The active kernel will not change as well without manual user intervention.

OP already stated that security updates are welcome, as long as they are served through a 'stable' Gentoo ebuild, in fact upstream states 'all users must upgrade' on every point release. OP however has manually masked any kernel version above 4.0, hence the 'downgrade'.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSA in 4.0.5 is broken in some way. I had some threads on this a while back. Basically, with kernel 4.0.5 I get NO SOUND on my laptop speakers. However, the external port works fine. Something is broken where it detects the state of my external jack being connected and always assumes it is, so it turns off my internal speakers. I rarely use external speakers so I get no sound. It was recommended that I wait for a newer kernel and that is what I am doing. Until then I have to stick with 3.x or I lose my sound. That or I get to figure out a way to lug around external speakers and a battery backup to power them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: