View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: NVidia OpenGL Fullscreen problems Reply with quote

Howdy, forumeers! I've got an nVidia GeForce2 MX AGP card (64MB) that somewhat recently stopped doing GL programs quite the way I'd like. I believe that it might have something to do with an upgrade of nvidia-kernel or nvidia-glx that happened awhile ago, but I'm not sure, as it was awhile since I noticed. The problem is thus:

1. I get the nVidia logo when X starts up
  2. opengl-update is set just the way it should be
  3. "glxinfo" tells me that I'm using all the nVidia hardware-accelerated stuff
  4. Any OpenGL program that's running in a window runs perfectly fine, accelerated and all that.
  5. Any OpenGL program that runs in fullscreen mode is very obviously running in software mode, and therefore quite choppy

I've observed this behavior on multiple games and also the GL screensavers from xscreensaver (for instance, running xscreensaver-demo, everything's fine in the preview window, but when I click on "Preview" it's extraordinarily choppy). All of this was working properly, once upon a time, and nothing in my XF86Config has changed.

I couldn't find anything relating to this problem elsewhere on the forums, or elsewhere online, but if I just missed something along the way, a link would be appreciated.

Thanks!
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: NVidia OpenGL Fullscreen problems Reply with quote

I wrote:
...and nothing in my XF86Config has changed.

Okay, so here's a lesson for you all. When somebody tells you that "nothing in my <insert configuration file here> has changed," you should immediately say to them, "why don't you go and double check that file one more time to make absolutely sure that you didn't make some stupid little change that you just don't happen to remember right now because you're a freaking moron?" You'll have great results.

Somewhere along the way, I had changed my DefaultDepth from 16 to 24 in order to be more 1337 or something, I suppose. Bumping it back down to 16 fixes everything. Now I've gotta figure out why I've never been able to get 32bit color on that thing, but I'll tackle that one on my own for awhile.

Gah.

:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: