Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
bugs.gentoo.org does not respect privacy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bugs.gentoo.org should respect more privacy and hide parts of the e-mail adresses.
Yes, more privacy is needed
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
No, it's okay that anyone can see my e-mail adresses when i respond or create a bug-report. It's also fine that anyone sees publically for which bugs i voted and my full e-mail adress.
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: bugs.gentoo.org does not respect privacy Reply with quote

I just checked my bug reports and there is a feature of votes.
Basically I can see the e-mail adresses of those who voted for the bug i created.

Do we really need to show anyone all e-mail adresses?

looks like this, i do not post htat link because of privacy reason ...

https://bugs.gentoo.org/page.cgi?id=voting/bug.html&bug_id= (....)

Who Number of votes
@gmail.com 1
@gmx.at 1
@gmail.com 1
@gmail.com 1

The list above was shortened, but it contained my full e-mail and allso that from others, seems so...

I am also not quite happy that on every bug report i create or respond my e-mail is made public.
Just imagine someone parsing hole bugs.gentoo site, counting up that bug_id (can be easily done)
and than reusing those e-mails for anything else.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to get a throwaway e-mail address for bug reporting.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the option for "No, I reject the poisoned-well way in which these options are phrased?"
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the emails are not viewable to people not logged in (and search engines) then I don't have a problem. If they are then I think that should probably be fixed as I doubt there is a valid reason for not logged in users to be able to see emails.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked myself an option in bugzilla to disallow sending email to some provider ; like gmail account, while user of gmail has accept google policy of no privacy of your content, i'm not using gmail for that, and never agree with this.

If anyone from the list (you expect gentoo devs to answer it with a gentoo.org email, while in real, any user answering you can have one, and worst, some bugwranglers are using it) is using gmail account, my mail address and my mail content will be sent to gmail and fall under the policy only this user has agree with.

Been told bugzilla is public place so i cannot choose myself to not allow bugzilla to sent email to gmail account.
Looks like anyone should use a buggy email (the validation is only when you create your account) ; it won't still protect its content, but at least prevent google from collecting your real email.

So if google can collect your address and its content, why any stupid bot wouldn't also be allow to collect it then?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning, opinion, may be a bit rude ... read on, only when you accepted this:

Ant P. wrote:
Where's the option for "No, I reject the poisoned-well way in which these options are phrased?"

Sorry I would add that optioin but I am not allowed to or it seems i can not do it ...

I stopped reporting any issues on bugzilla because

a) bugs are not fixed
b) my email is public and i get spam e-mails
c) missing privacy, the gui is not to my liking, searching for bugs is a mess, wasted efforts
d) bugs stay forever on unconfirmed, regardless on how many users vote, comment and such
e) even references to forum posts are ignored, when those who report have for example old gpu, it is not added to portage, though forum posts claim it works, users posting on bug claim it works, .... unfixed, not read, not cared, whatever up to you. When users with the hardware claim it works it should be applied to an older version of nvidia-drivers. most guys have newer hardware and will not ever use that old nvidia drivers form portage anyway.
f) request for removals form portage => e.g. eternal lands, unable to connect to servers, server there is only one and that is from the game owner, the client does not work anymore, new client does not exists, feasable way, remove that packge from portage tree. it can be readded when someone provide a working ebuild ... Logical way to explain things, with references, ignored by gentoo devs / tree cleaners.

See it as my opinion, that i refuse to support the developers when they do not guarantee that my stuff i post, my e-mail is kept private.

Any bot / google / detective / future employer can create a profile on my knowledge or what i do on the net. Thats critical.

I never read that book but it goes in the direction of 1989 from george orwell ...

I do get the point that idiots spam sites and therefore you need to register or go through the process to verify that you are a human beeing.
I do not get the point why i need to give everyone my e-mail.
I was not really aware that anyone sees what i did on Bugzilla.
I was not aware that this could lead to issues in real life or could have let which i am not aware of missing privacy... maybe my fault to have used my main e-mail when registering to my favourite distro

I think privacy is more important as those who says we are fine with that with the way it is...
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a separate email for this kind of stuff with +ml, +bugs and +dev where appropriate. Perhaps you may want to consider a similar approach.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
My advice is to get a throwaway e-mail address for bug reporting.
GFCCAE6xF wrote:
I use a separate email for this kind of stuff with +ml, +bugs and +dev where appropriate. Perhaps you may want to consider a similar approach.

But I agree that your e-mail address should not be public in the bug, nor private either. It is irrelevant. We gave an e-mail address to this forum when we signed up but it doesn't appear in the forum itself. Nor should it appear in the bug history. Bugzilla needs to know to send questions and the like, but that should be through Bugzilla, not informally aside.

In the office, personnel knows my home phone, but it is only my desk phone (and company e-mail address) that appears in the public directory. It is logically similar.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be logged in to actually see any E-Mail addresses...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: