Any Talk of ALPHA GENTOO 64Bit?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizerd724
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Any Talk of ALPHA GENTOO 64Bit? Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Alpha Box in a game of chance. I will be forced to run RedHat for now. RedHat SeaWolf 64Bit made to run on the Alpha Processors. Just wondering if I would be able to run Gentoo-ooo-oooooo in the near future. I set up Gentoo on my old box that will be sold to make way for the Ultimate Alpha Box, but I will miss my emerge or even better now kemerge. I hope Gentoo is working on a 64bit compile. Any help or direction to a previous thread the search missed would be very helpful. Thank you.
:?:
:D
PaperCrane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a game of chance? Where to you play poker and can I join?
NU-Slacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that there is some headway being made on the Sparc and UltraSparc end of things for Gentoo, so 64-bit generic stuff should be fixed relatirvely soon.
daybird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Alpha Gentoo Reply with quote

A friend has promised me a couple of Alphas, though I won't be able to pick them up for a couple of months. I've been helping out with the ppc port, and if nobody gets it set up before I get my Alphas, I'll definitely be into working on a port (I've been keeping a list of stuff that needs to be fixed for porting).
wizerd724
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daybird, Keep us posted. Will a compile for the itanium or spark 64bit processors be cool on a Alpha? Are there not optimizations made for each processor independently? Just wondering if I would take a performance hit by tossing the spark generic gentoo on a Alpha.

And crane, not poker, ebay..... heh Sorry Star Wars has me excited.
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Also... Reply with quote

Would all of this work on a 64-bit port be able to be rolled up so that we could have Opteron/"New" Athlon support??

I am planning on buying one of the Claw Hammer CPUs (They will be the "New" Athlons) as soon as they come out - and I would love Gentoo to already be ready to go on these.

Derek
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: