View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavel.stratil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Gnome 3.16: Can't login into session [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi, I emerged gnome-3.16 since its stable now. During the emerge, the lockscreen activated and I couldnt get past it (typed in password disappears before i can finish typing it / form gets reseted). So I rebooted, can see the gdm login screen, try to login. I can enter the password now, but I don't get into the gnome shell, just back to the user selector in gdm. Here

- http://pastebin.ca/3160074 a journalctl -b.
- http://pastebin.ca/3160093 a emerge --info
- http://pastebin.ca/3160166 a zcat /proc/conifg

Running out of ideas what to do/howto debug this. Anybody got a tip? Thanks, Pavel

Edit 1> noticed that after another reboot the kernel complains that various stuff used greatest stack depth. Not sure if thats relevant, but eh http://pastebin.ca/3160147

Edit 2> 4 days ago I installed qemu+libvirt and didnt reboot until i got locked out. nontheless i dont see a connection to a misbehaving gdm, still tried to disable the libvirtd service (without any success)

Edit 3> It works when I login as root, so maybe some ACL thing?
My regular user is in groups: http://pastebin.ca/3160240

Last edited by pavel.stratil on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just tipping off some warnings:

Code:
Sep 12 21:38:48 uuu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[705]: /home/killua/.bash_profile: line 9: /home/killua/.keychain/uuu-sh-gpg: No such file or directory

How are you starting gnome-shell (did you stick it in your login scripts?), or are you expecting the default scripts to run gnome-shell for you?

I think I had to muck with that to get that to work the first time around, maybe I need to fix my setup, though I'd have to say I did see that unlock screen weirdness during the middle of the 3.14 -> 3.16 upgrade, but after a gdm restart here's where my system diverged: I could login just fine...
pavel.stratil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naah, that wasnt it, that warning is just a typo in the path ... only a keychain thing for ssh keys (nonetheless thanks for pointing that out). I have a vanilla system installed like 3 weeks ago, everything is managed by systemd. Nothing fancy or special, I prefer a stable system to a custom one.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe check your group memberships, are you a member of plugdev ?

Edit>
Oh, sorry, didn't notice you already showed that
pavel.stratil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't this have a connection?

Code:
>>> Messages generated by process 15334 on 2015-09-13 04:28:10 CEST for package sys-auth/polkit-0.113:

LOG: compile
Failed to set XATTR_PAX markings -mre test/polkitbackend/.libs/polkitbackendjsauthoritytest.

I'm sporting a vanilla [5] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd *profile, isnt xattr/pax something exclusive to hardened?
pavel.stratil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turned on the debug in gdm ...

http://pastebin.ca/3161069
pavel.stratil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so I solved this, kind of:

- i tried installing fluxbox and logged in without problem (so its not in gdm but somewhere else - gnome session, shell, or what)
- i created a new user, and found out I can log in without problems with both, fluxbox and gnome. meaning there's something within the not-working user's directory that makes the gnome session fail
- i tried renaming . directories, deleted the .ICEauthority file but couldn't find the actual culprit if anyone has an idea what might be the cause, let me know, so that i can try & file a bug
- i'm now using the new user, keeping the old one only for reference (see point above)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted you had tried two different non-root users but thought that one of them had been a fresh user so I did not suggest a new user, that indeed was the best experiment. Now that you have tried it, that definitely rules out the system (then again we knew gdm was logging in, else your login scripts would not have run, indicating that error!)

One big hammer is blowing away your .gconf and/or .local/share directoryies and see what it would do (don't actually delete them, move out of way). Also backing up a bit to my previous theories, make sure you have no .Xsession .xinitrc or .xsessionrc or anything in your .bash_login/.profile/.bash_profile/.login/.gnome_start that may cause a login crash... still a lot of possibilities here...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: