Becoming a Developer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBCook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Becoming a Developer Reply with quote

How would I go about becoming a Gentoo developer?

I've been using Linux for years now and Gentoo is my favorite distro. I've wanted to help out an OSS project for a while no (I have nothing to program on my own, but I like to program). I've looked around but there really isn't one program that I would like to develop for. After thinking about it I realized that I would really like to help with Gentoo.

I think I'm qualified to at least start. I'm pretty good at C and C++, and I do know Python and Perl, plus I have a decent working knowledge (very VERY basic stuff) of a few others. Since I know that Gentoo is mostly Python, I believe that I have the skills needed.

So my question is, how do I go about this? I've been looking at some of the bug reports but haven't found anything that really interests me yet. That said, there must be more to becoming a developer than just reading bug reports and then fixing a few.

Do I need to be running some equivelent of Debian's "unstable"? Is there a form somewhere that I can sign up to say "I want to be a developer" that's part of some official process? If there is no official process, why not?

I've read through FAQs and such but haven't been able to find any real answers other than "fix stuff", which is a little vauge. What can I do? How did any of you start (if you are a Gentoo developer)?

Thanks for your time guys.

Read an intelligent book like "The New Thought Police" or "The War Against Boys", and learn the TRUTH.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process is that you make a lot of valuable contributions and another developer comes to me or Seemant Kulleen with a request to put you in the new developer pipeline.
MBCook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just wondering if there was some more formal process. Thanks.

Read an intelligent book like "The New Thought Police" or "The War Against Boys", and learn the TRUTH.
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically "developer" status is conferred after the fact. You're a developer after you've developed something, not because you're developing something.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
... to put you in the new developer pipeline.

Just let's hope this pipeline is processed a little bit faster than the one of an other well known community distribution. :wink:
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a moderator?

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming a Developer Reply with quote

MBCook wrote:
How would I go about becoming a Gentoo developer?

Gentoo developers are primarily ebuild contributors. It'll take a lot of contributing or some excellent patches to become a core developer working on portage.

I would recommend that you toy with some of your desktop software and pick out what you think needs improving.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
MBCook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. That was something else I was thinking about.

dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though this wouldn't make you a Gentoo Dev, Porthole (a gtk+ portage browser) could always use the help of another python guru, even if it's just looking at the code and making suggestions. It may help you learn a bit more about portage as well, which could help out in becoming a real Gentoo Dev. Check out the link in my sig:
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
what about a moderator?
This works on a very similar system. Basically, you have to regularly show that you have all the necessary qualities of a moderator and eventually when we feel that we need more moderators we'll super-secretly nominate people, talk about everyone behind their backs, and eventually tap someone on the shoulder. So what are the qualities needed to be a moderator? Generally, you have to be well known, active, helpful, understanding, thick-skinned, and cool headed to be nominated.

Things to keep in mind: We won't get a new moderator until we feel there is a need for one. This sometimes takes a long while. Moderating isn't a glory position and it's truly a shame that people seem to look at it as such. It's a very unrewarding thing that takes time away from useful activities such as developing, troubleshooting, or bugfixing.
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
TheCoop wrote:
what about a moderator?
This works on a very similar system. Basically, you have to regularly show that you have all the necessary qualities of a moderator and eventually when we feel that we need more moderators we'll super-secretly nominate people, talk about everyone behind their backs, and eventually tap someone on the shoulder. So what are the qualities needed to be a moderator? Generally, you have to be well known, active, helpful, understanding, thick-skinned, and cool headed to be nominated.

Things to keep in mind: We won't get a new moderator until we feel there is a need for one. This sometimes takes a long while. Moderating isn't a glory position and it's truly a shame that people seem to look at it as such. It's a very unrewarding thing that takes time away from useful activities such as developing, troubleshooting, or bugfixing.

...and thanks to all the moderators for the job they are doing. :)
2k..
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:

Moderating isn't a glory position and it's truly a shame that people seem to look at it as such. It's a very unrewarding thing that takes time away from useful activities such as developing, troubleshooting, or bugfixing.

I moderate on a completely unrelated message board and it is one of the most thankless jobs i can imagine.

so here is a big thankyou to the moderators here who do such a great job :)

oops i have gone off topic now :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: