Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved]Where i can set my kernel version?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebekk23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: [Solved]Where i can set my kernel version? Reply with quote

Hi
Where i can set my kernel version?

I'm asking because i notice that emerge of gcc shows me weird thing. Gcc points to kernel version 3.4.104 (which is correct) but after that it points to wrong headers version (which should be 3.4.104) - see below on emerge output of gcc build.

Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 234) sys-libs/glibc-2.21-r1::gentoo
 * Fetching files in the background. To view fetch progress, run
 * `tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in another terminal.
 * glibc-2.21.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * glibc-2.21-patches-4.tar.bz2 SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                        [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
 * strip-flags: CFLAGS: changed '-march=armv7ve -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv4 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mtune=cortex-a7 -mthumb -pipe -O2' to '-march=armv7ve -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv4 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mtune=cortex-a7 -pipe -O2'
 * strip-flags: CXXFLAGS: changed '-march=armv7ve -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv4 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mtune=cortex-a7 -mthumb -pipe -O2' to '-march=armv7ve -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv4 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mtune=cortex-a7 -pipe -O2'
 * strip-flags: FCFLAGS: changed '-march=armv7ve -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv4 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mtune=cortex-a7 -mthumb -pipe -O2' to '-march=armv7ve -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv4 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mtune=cortex-a7 -pipe -O2'
 * Checking gcc for __thread support ...                                                                                                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Checking kernel version (3.4.104 >= 2.6.32) ...                                                                                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * Checking linux-headers version (3.19.0 >= 2.6.32) ... 

I installed kernel by my own (its Banana Pi with ARM CPU)

ls -l /usr/src/
Code:
razem 4
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   39 06-25 19:52 linux -> /usr/src/linux-headers-3.4.104-bananian
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 06-25 19:21 linux-headers-3.4.104-bananian

eselect kernel list
Code:
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-headers-3.4.104-bananian *

uname -a
Code:
Linux r1 3.4.104-bananian #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 6 18:25:40 UTC 2015 armv7l ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l) sun7i GNU/Linux

Last edited by sebekk23 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebekk23,

The kernel and linux-headers neeh not be the same version.

The kernel and packages that build agist the kernel build against the headers provided in the kernel tree.
Everything else that needs kernel headers to build against uses the headers provided by linux-headers

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
sebekk23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
sebekk23,

The kernel and linux-headers neeh not be the same version.

The kernel and packages that build agist the kernel build against the headers provided in the kernel tree.
Everything else that needs kernel headers to build against uses the headers provided by linux-headers

I know that - that is why i'm asking about some advise where i can set up correctly.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebekk23,

Why do you think the setting is incorrect?

You can mask sys-kernel/linux-headers by version if you want to. Then portage will install the version you permit.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
sebekk23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
sebekk23,

Why do you think the setting is incorrect?

You can mask sys-kernel/linux-headers by version if you want to. Then portage will install the version you permit.

Like i said before - my kernel is not from gentoo repos :) - it's been taken from banana linux (bananian), i will set it up soon correctly (i mean - i will compile my own kernel from official sources of linux).
I do have masked kernel headers - but i need to change version for them.
py-ro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't do anything, it is fine. The Version don't need to match.

Bye
Py
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebekk23,

The banana linux kernel is the kernel.org kernel with patches to make it work on your hardware.

Code that cares deeply about the kernel, like out of tree kernel modules, will build against the headers in /usr/src/linux
Code that only needs generic kernel headers (glibc?) will build against linux-headers.

The exact version of generic kernel headers only matters if thore has been a change to tho public interface exposed by the kernel.
The kernel devs work very hard to keep such changes to a minimum.
On the other hand, out of tree kernel modules ususally use fast changing non public interfaces, so they have to keep up with the kernel.
This is what makes maintaining out of kree kernel modules so difficult.

If you still want to change your linux-headers, there are lots to choose from.
Code:
[I] sys-kernel/linux-headers
     Available versions:  *2.4.33.3^bs ~*2.4.36^bs 3.1^bs (~)3.2-r1^bs (~)3.3^bs 3.4^bs 3.4-r1^bs 3.4-r2^bs (~)3.5^bs 3.6^bs 3.7^bs (~)3.8^bs 3.9^bs{tbz2} (~)3.10^bs{tbz2} (~)3.11^bs{tbz2} (~)3.12^bs{tbz2} 3.13^bs{tbz2} (~)3.14^bs{tbz2} (~)3.15^bs{tbz2} 3.16^bs{tbz2} (~)3.17^bs{tbz2} (~)3.17-r1^bs{tbz2} 3.18^bs{tbz2} (~)3.19^bs{tbz2} (~)4.0^bs{tbz2} (~)4.1^bs{tbz2}
but you really don't need to.

The hard bit about building your own kernel is that you will loose all the banana linux patches, so things won't work as well or even at all, with a kernel.org kernel.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
sebekk23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx guys - i have modules also from official bananian (those that came with kernel in that disto) so i dont need to recompile modules (at this moment of course ;) )
So conclusion is as follows:
Dont worry and be happy ( from your working hardware with gentoo! :) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: