Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Connect Windose and Linux to a multifunction printer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Connect Windose and Linux to a multifunction printer? Reply with quote

Apologies for asking this question.

My wife has a Windose PC and I have a Linux box. We share a Brother Multifunction printer. I have simply switched the USB cable back and forth,
but I think it's time to do something more civil.

I purchased a Trendnet print server and USB wireless dongle on the way home from work. Both were recommended. I have a Netgear WNDA3100v2,
which has never worked, but I hoped this other might. No luck so I'm giving up on the wireless crap on Linux, which leads me to ask what wired hardware do I need.
The shop I go to has been generally helpful. Some of the fellows show the look of amazement when I tell them I run Linux. Most have limited knowledge
on what I need.

My budget is very (read very very tight which might be obvious when one considers I began to acquire hard ware for a new box a year and a half ago; my i7-4770K may
obsolete when I put the box together next month!)

So, in a nutshell, if anyone might suggest how I may do this I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I've shared a printer between multiple computers, is I used cups to share it to the network. best part, doesn't cost anything (if both computers are connected to the network).
This is assuming your computers are connected on a network (i.e. like sharing the internet connection).

For me, I connect the printer to the linux box using regular usb.
According to what you posted, it sounds like you already have cups setup to work with the printer, you are already part of the way there.
Most likely, you need to go back into cups, and set cups to Share the printer.
For me, I use the web interface (localhost:631), goto administration and click the manage printers
Select your printer, on the drop down for Administration select modify printer.
Click continue, to goto the second page, and that page should have a option for "Share This Printer". After that is set, you are done for that stuff

Go back to the home administation page, on the right, you should have something like
Code:
Server Settings:

Advanced ▶
     Share printers connected to this system
         Allow printing from the Internet
     Allow remote administration

Make sure the first one is checked. Now your linux computer is setup to share the printer, on the windows computer, you need to add the printer as a network printer (off of your linux computer's ip address). Note, you will need your linux computer turned on, for the windows computer to able to print. Note, I haven't had a multifunction printer in a while, so I don't know too well on sharing the other parts, but this will at least allow you to print.

If you want to see my cupsd.conf, here's a link to mine https://bpaste.net/show/ef09cebfa8a6
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Connect Windose and Linux to a multifunction printer? Reply with quote

A.S. Pushkin wrote:
Apologies for asking this question.

My wife has a Windose PC and I have a Linux box. We share a Brother Multifunction printer. I have simply switched the USB cable back and forth,
but I think it's time to do something more civil.
Why not simply connect the printer to your homenet and use cups for wireless access to it. Have a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Brother_networked_printer#Connect_the_printer_to_the_network
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Connect Windose and Linux to a multifunction printer? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, ct85711 and charles17.

Yes, I do have CUPS working on my box, but I do not have a network, or not a real one. At this point we have a Netgear wireless router, a WNDA3100v2,
but I do like both of your suggestions to use a network. That, of course, leads me to ask for suggestions on a switch or other appropriate device
to create that network. It appears that Netgear does not plan to upgrade the firmware any further so I would consider a new one.

Would you suggest Linux friendly hardware.

Thanks again.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Connect Windose and Linux to a multifunction printer? Reply with quote

A.S. Pushkin wrote:
At this point we have a Netgear wireless router, a WNDA3100v2,
Are you sure this router does not allow connected devices to "talk to each other"?
I am using this all-in-one box for voip, dsl-modem, router, dect, wlan, media-server, ...
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: WNDA3100v2, my mistake Reply with quote

This device is a wireless dongle. It was an impulsive buy with the Netgear WNR3500L, which has worked quite well.

There are some hacks for the router as it is FOSS. One appears to allow it to function as a print server using the
the USB port. I note a few people have bricked their device.

C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Linux based TP-Link TD-VG3631. ADSL Modem Router with VoIP, etc. Retails in Australia for about $100 ~$120.

One Printer connected to one USB port, a two TB drive to the second USB port as NAS and a second printer via wireless serving 2 Linux Desktops, 1 Linux and two Windows Laptops, 2 Smartphones and 2 fixed line phones..

charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WNDA3100v2, my mistake Reply with quote

A.S. Pushkin wrote:
There are some hacks for the router as it is FOSS. One appears to allow it to function as a print server ...
No need for that print server function if your Brother Multifunction printer were a networkable one (having N or W in its name) that could register in Netgear WNR3500L as network device.
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Connect Windose and Linux to a multifunction printer? Reply with quote

C5ace TP-Link TD-VG3631 sounds great! I'll keep that in mind, but I'm on cable here in the States. Running hardware like you are sounds great!

charles17 I have a V1 on the WNR3500L, which does offer some hope. I'm researching Tomato and DD-WRT, both of which potentially allow this
wireless router to act as a print server, I think. Searches of the web suggested it may be on the old side, but a very good device. I was looking at some
other Netgear routers that are newer models and they appear to already support features I want. My budget for a new Linux box is
already a wee bit too high so I'm trying to not buy a new router if I can help it. If I brick this thing I may have to buy one anyway.

If I do flash new firmware from the above, I'll post what happens.

Quote:
One Printer connected to one USB port, a two TB drive to the second USB port as NAS and a second printer via wireless serving 2 Linux Desktops, 1 Linux and two Windows Laptops, 2 Smartphones and 2 fixed line phones..

Wow, that is amazing!

Thanks again for the input. More as I have it.

C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Connect Windose and Linux to a multifunction printer? Reply with quote

A.S. Pushkin wrote:
C5ace TP-Link TD-VG3631 sounds great! I'll keep that in mind, but I'm on cable here in the States. Running hardware like you are sounds great!

My new neigbour is on Bigpond Cable. He also uses TP-Link TD-VG3631 with the ADSL part disbled and his cable modem connect to one of the ethernet ports of the TD-VG3631.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have read the first post.

Well, check out the cups page=> cups is the piece of software used for printing in linux.

personally in the old days wiht my brother i just went with the data cartridte to my brother and used the printer.
Assuming you are allowed / have access to use the computer for a few minutes to print something.
---

in the windows world, there was some sort of feature where you could e.g. a parralllel port printer share on the network with anyone.

or you go and buy some hardware which does this. It all depends on waht are you printing out. just documents or also random webpages and such...

Usually i create even here on my single box, pdf files and print those pdf files, because you see instantly on how the print will look like and do not waste paper when they are not to your liking.

and of coure you can use custom firmware to create a printserver... with routers ...

even my techniccolor adslmodem, which is for sure the cheapest which is available, has a print server feature...

it sums all up on your decission on how to mange it at the end.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: