Systemd and sensorsd daemon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Systemd and sensorsd daemon Reply with quote

Hi,

I've a problem with the configuration of the sensorsd daemon (systemd service named sensord.service). First of all: the kernel 4.0.5 finds all of my hardware sensors including fans; lm_sensors reports an unsupported chip (Nuvoton) but I forced modprobe and everything appears.

The question is: systemd sensord.service will monitor everything. I check in systemd Gentoo guide to pass custom parameters but I've found only notes about environment variables (or the apache2 memorylimit: cool example but if someone doesn't know apache how to understand? :o ) and I do not know the ENVs used by sensorsd daemon. So I tried to define the exact chip to be checked by setting a variable in a custom file in: /etc/systemd/system/sensord.service.d and then I modified the original .service file in /usr/lib by passing the variable as input parameter (in the exec line I put $ARG1 as first argument).

Ok then the 'systemctl show' command into the argv[] line got the variable name $ARG1 but in the journal my chip appears one time only at the service launch then another one in alarm appears every minute (the other one is in alarm because not configured in lm_sensors as not supported).

So in desperation I followed the guides to set the ignore flag in all the etc/hellish/lmsensors/damn/configuration files :D but nothing change: the systemd service continues to monitor what it likes.

The solution of course is to remove the second chip from lm_sensors but I really hate this solution and it is not a solution after all :)

Could someone help me?

Thank you very much.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried setting up sensord in systemd (because ACPI ate the sensors on my box), but it seems that there are two parts - lm-sensors.service and sensord.service ... Should the first one be configured to load the right modules?

Is there a /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors ? Is there anything in it to tell it to load extra modules, perhaps

HWMON_MODULES="your_chip_module_name"

?
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I haven't tried setting up sensord in systemd (because ACPI ate the sensors on my box), but it seems that there are two parts - lm-sensors.service and sensord.service ... Should the first one be configured to load the right modules?

Is there a /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors ? Is there anything in it to tell it to load extra modules, perhaps

HWMON_MODULES="your_chip_module_name"

?

Thank you for the suggestion. My problem arose for the reasons you spoke about: it seems that systemd ignores the configuration of lm-sensors. The first service, lm-sensors.service has an entry like that in the journal: 'Started initialize hardware monitoring sensors'.

The second service do the job only at service launch, then ignores the configuration and it continues to report only the chip in alarm (of course it's lm_sensors missing support and not a real alarm :) ).

I configured both HWMON_MODULES and also I setup the 'ignore alarm' into the sensors config file: /etc/sensors.d/sensors.conf.

So here is the problem: also with configuration OK why systemd ignores that? In Google I found systemd execute service in a very soft and standard way: to customize them it must be overwritten the original .service file but I'm not sure of the update I should do because the one I tried didn't do the trick :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: