Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to enable crash reporter in firefox-40.0?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: How to enable crash reporter in firefox-40.0? Reply with quote

After updating firefox to version 40.0.2, it started to occasionally crash. Now I am looking for about:crashes as known from earlier versions, but is has gone.

Buildconfig tells me it has been disabled:
Quote:
Configure arguments

--enable-application=browser --enable-optimize --disable-pedantic --disable-updater --disable-strip --disable-install-strip --disable-installer --disable-strip-libs --disable-profilelocking --enable-single-profile --disable-profilesharing --with-system-zlib --enable-pango --enable-svg --with-system-bz2 --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 --enable-official-branding --disable-debug --disable-tests --disable-debug-symbols --enable-startup-notification --disable-necko-wifi --disable-dbus --enable-ogg --enable-wave --enable-ion --with-system-nspr --with-nspr-prefix=/usr --with-system-nss --with-nss-prefix=/usr --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-system-libevent=/usr --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-system-hunspell --disable-gnomevfs --disable-gnomeui --enable-gio --disable-crashreporter --with-system-png --enable-system-ffi --disable-gold --disable-gconf --enable-jemalloc --enable-replace-malloc --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-gstreamer --disable-pulseaudio --enable-system-cairo --enable-system-sqlite --with-system-jpeg --with-system-icu --enable-intl-api --with-system-libvpx --with-google-api-keyfile=/var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-40.0.2/work/mozilla-release/google-api-key --disable-mailnews --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib64/firefox --enable-extensions=default

Please help me. What is the easiest way to enable it via the ebuild?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use firefox-bin. The crash reporter contains proprietary software that can't be redistributed with the source.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Use firefox-bin. The crash reporter contains proprietary software that can't be redistributed with the source.

Thanks for the info. I'll check and see if the bin also crashes.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're experiencing the same issue, toggling off layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled did help here.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
If you're experiencing the same issue, toggling off layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled did help here.

I just updated to 40.0.2(?) myself and I'm getting spontaneous segfaults every few minutes, thanks for the heads up, gonna try this.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering, do you have the gstreamer use flag set (not the gstreamer-0)? As there is a critical bug in firefox related to using the gstreamer-1.x plugins (upstream knows of it) that causes seg faults with videos. The only fix so far has been to set gstreamer-0 use flag instead, causing firefox to use the old gstreamer-0.x plugins instead.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
As there is a critical bug in firefox related to using the gstreamer-1.x plugins (upstream knows of it) that causes seg faults with videos....

...bug url ?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's our forum post discussing this issue (with gstreamer, and it contains links to our bug reports and to upstream's report)
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1020402-highlight-firefox+gstreamer0.html
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the USE flags for firefox from the default "gstreamer -gstreamer-0" to "-gstreamer gstreamer-0" did fix all issues for me.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Changing the USE flags for firefox from the default "gstreamer -gstreamer-0" to "-gstreamer gstreamer-0" did fix all issues for me.
Or not. Although rare, I still have crashes. Maybe firefox-40.0.2 is just buggy?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: