Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Install current portage apps to new upgraded computer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Install current portage apps to new upgraded computer? Reply with quote

Hello to the forum.

I am going to be upgrading my computer from an amd FX chip set to an intel X99 [Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and GPU]. I would like to use the programs and settings that I am using in my current system, but I don't really want to reinstall everything from scratch again. Is there a way for me to install my portage programs and settings on my new build, using the same hard drives that they are installed on currently?
I am having a difficult time locating any articles that explains what I need to do. I would greatly appreciate the help finding the right article(s).

Thanks again.
Cheers!
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, build a kernel for your new hardware, then switch the hardware.
Then boot it to CLI and adjust your make.conf to fit your new CPU and GPU.
Then run emerge -eav @world.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:

That would rebuild everything which he wants to avoid. Many packages use python or perl instead of C/C++ and would be completely unaffected by a change in CPU.

I suggest "emerge -auvND --with-bdeps=y @world". Of course, your way results in maximum optimization.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Buffoon wrote:

That would rebuild everything which he wants to avoid. Many packages use python or perl instead of C/C++ and would be completely unaffected by a change in CPU.

I suggest "emerge -auvND --with-bdeps=y @world". Of course, your way results in maximum optimization.

Your solution does not consider changed CFLAGS.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to recompile to generic CFLAGS and emerge -e @system first and then emerge -e @world after you switch processors. AMD and Intel use completely different optimizations and you won't be able to boot otherwise.

Buffoon was mostly correct, but unless you rebuild @system you just won't be able to boot at all.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
You have to recompile to generic CFLAGS and emerge -e @system first and then emerge -e @world after you switch processors. AMD and Intel use completely different optimizations and you won't be able to boot otherwise.

Buffoon was mostly correct, but unless you rebuild @system you just won't be able to boot at all.

Not true, there is practically no CPU level optimizations in @system, it will boot on both Intel and AMD.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Not true, there is practically no CPU level optimizations in @system, it will boot on both Intel and AMD.
I have an experience that says otherwise :wink:

One sigfault is enough to ruin your day.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be invalid instruction, not segfault. If it was true, that is.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
It would be invalid instruction, not segfault. If it was true, that is.
Either way, a critical program not starting and the entire process stalling short of a login is the result.

Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for replying to my quarry. I think that I have a good idea that what I need to do, but unfortunately I am having issues getting into the kernel to make any additional changes for the new platform.

I have cd into my /usr/src/linux and tried to run "make menuconfig" but I get this error, "make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop."
So I made sure that I have all the tools for building and adjusting the kernel; all are installed. I don't get it. It appears that all the right files are in the dir.
My current kernel version is linux-4.0.5-gentoo.
Am I missing something?

Thanks again.
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smacking forehead.

I needed to cd into /usr/src/linux-4.0.5-gentoo
lol

Now to find all the right options. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

Buffoon wrote:

This is total nonsense.

gcc, especially with -march=native, which many Gentoo end-users set (and where they don't, they're typically cross-compiling via distcc and add the exact same set for the target machine), will feel free to use insns that only work on the specific brand (and indeed model) of CPU, including optimising for the specific cache-linesizes at hand.

It's got sod-all to do with the "CPU level optimizations" in the codebase, @system or otherwise, and everything to do with the compiler, and what it decides to output, based solely on its understanding of the C code, and the requirements of Standard C.

Given that we're compiling for a specific setup, as well as disabling cruft we don't need, Gentoo users tend to use CPU-specific flags, one way or another.
(Why forego the benefits of doing all the compilation, given that we are doing all the compilation ourselves?)

So any generic advice should be along the lines of what the Doctor said, though personally I'd tell you just to reinstall from stage3 and copy /var/lib/portage/world over, after you've got the kernel, filesystems and network up.
If you have /etc in git, more power to you.

A HW change-up is a good time to redo the install, onto a newer disk, ime.
By the time you need to do it, disk-drives (of whatever ilk) have normally got faster, cheaper and bigger.
It's a doddle to refer back to what you used to have running, instead of trying to guess based on the kludge in front of you.
You always learn something new, and feel like your machine is more tweaked how you want it.

One thing I'd highly recommend, is setting up FEATURES=buildpkg from the get-go.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon,

Once upon a time, I rented a server. It was an Intel based server. It was root on LVM on raid.
Everything was built with -march=native. Anyway, it wouldn't boot.
The server vendor offered a fake console by booting the install in a qemu virtual machine that provided an AMD CPU.

grub worked, the kernel gave an illegal instruction exception, then it was all down hill from there.
I ended up rebuilding the kernel and the initrd with -mtune=generic and that allowed me to see I had made a few errors in
the init script in the initrd. It never booted in the qemu virtual machine. After it got out of the initrd, there another illegal instruction exception.
However, it booted normally then so I don't know how bad it really was.

Tefrem34,

You need to rebuild your kernel and @system with -mtune=generic and maybe the bootloader.
Don't forget to add and new hardware to your kernel that you will need on the new motherboard.
That will get you booted on a new motherboard and CPU.

As others have said, rebuild everything in its new home with emerge -e @world after you have fixed make.conf.
There is not much point in doing either the kernel or the bootloader. Wait until they are upgraded in the normal course of events.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried.
But sadly, I could not get it to work. I kept getting boot errors, not finding the right id of some kind or other.
So did a fresh install.
Some things have installed just fine, but others are being a night mare to get working.
Thanks for all the info. It will be nice to reference back to another time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: