[SOLVED] Trying to fix alsa via modprobe, Exec Format Error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Trying to fix alsa via modprobe, Exec Format Error Reply with quote

The original problem was that I couldn't get ALSA to work (receiving the message: "This sound device does not have any controls.), and through reading through a lot of posts here on it. I figured it has to be a kernel module, based on my card (HDA Intel PCH), I believe the module that I have to pull in is snd_hda_intel.

I read this thread, which seems to be the only one describing the exact same problem that I'm having: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1024332-highlight-exec+format+error.html

So far, I think I understand two things:
1.There seems to be a version mismatch of somesort b/t the kernel and module
-Edit: Actually maybe not? I believe this is how you check, and there's only one.
Code:
# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-4.0.5-gentoo *

2.That if you rebuild your kernel a lot you run the risk of having a symlink pointing at the wrong place

I've rebuilt my kernel many times at this point, eventually ending up with a setup like this(https://i.imgur.com/e5nNR7c.png) (mostly out of frustration), though I believe I just need the VIA modules.

Code:
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nvidia               8506041  34
e1000e                163385  0
x86_pkg_temp_thermal     4567  0
efivarfs                5467  1

Code:
 modprobe snd-hda-intel
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_hda_intel': Exec format error

Code:
# uname -a
Linux NMBR 4.0.5-gentoo #2 SMP Wed Jul 29 08:38:25 EDT 2015 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Code:

# cat .asoundrc
pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card PCH
}

Code:
# cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep SND_HDA
CONFIG_SND_HDA=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_DSP_LOADER=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE=64
CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_RECONFIG=y
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_JACK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_PATCH_LOADER is not set
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ANALOG=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_VIA=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_HDMI=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_I915=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CIRRUS=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CONEXANT=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0110=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0132=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0132_DSP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SI3054=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_POWER_SAVE_DEFAULT=0

Code:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf3230000 irq 27
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf3080000 irq 17

While the main problem of alsamixer seems to be a common error among people with misconfigured kernels, I seem to be helpless to fix it no matter the options I choose in the kernel. I'm very confused as to where I've gone wrong, I've been pouring through the posts here attempting to fix it, but unlike the linked post, I'm not able to reinstall the modules possibly because I partly configured my kernel by hand, as attempting to configure the kernel in menuconfig while comparing it to the relatively cryptic .config files posted is very difficult. So I'm not sure if that's where I screwed myself over. I'm willing to give any extra info as is necessary.

Last edited by Cecillian on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:57 am; edited 3 times in total
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: HD audio different to the linked .png? Reply with quote

What is the verbose 'lspci' output for the audio card?
lspci -vv

That .png you linked seems to be showing the traditional PCI cards and not the HD codecs, is that intentional?
I might be wrong but I don't think that .png is connected to the intel HD audio stuff is it?

Mine doesn't seem to require the HD codecs so I'm not a great help.
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lspci -w
Code:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 1151
   Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
   Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
   Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
   Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 27
   Region 0: Memory at f3230000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
   Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
      Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
   Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
      Address: 00000000fee0f00c  Data: 4142
   Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
      DevCap:   MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
         ExtTag- RBE- FLReset+
      DevCtl:   Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
         RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
         MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
      DevSta:   CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+ TransPend-
      LnkCap:   Port #0, Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
         ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
      LnkCtl:   ASPM Disabled; Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
         ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
      LnkSta:   Speed unknown, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
   Capabilities: [100 v1] Virtual Channel
      Caps:   LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
      Arb:   Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
      Ctrl:   ArbSelect=Fixed
      VC0:   Caps:   PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
         Arb:   Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
         Ctrl:   Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=01
      VC1:   Caps:   PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
         Arb:   Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
         Ctrl:   Enable+ ID=2 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=04
   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
   Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

And here is a more relevant image: http://i.imgur.com/4w1lng3.png
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: power shutdown? Reply with quote

I think I've had some trouble way back with over aggressive settings in the power management, maybe turn that off and see how you go.
I think there is some standby setting in the ACPI section of the kernel that puts ancillary cards in standby and some drivers don't wake it up.

I notice in lspci that it shows the the sound driver is apparently in use so might suggest it's a different problem to the kernel module.
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: also Reply with quote

also the
Code:
Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 1151
section might be of note, is this the area which shows the codec that is needed?
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is the codec that is needed

Code:

NMBR ~ # cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | head
Codec: Realtek ID 900
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0900
Subsystem Id: 0x18491151
Revision Id: 0x100001
No Modem Function Group found
Default PCM:
    rates [0x5f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
NMBR ~ # cat /proc/asound/card1/codec#0 | head
Codec: Nvidia ID 71
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0x10de0071
Subsystem Id: 0x38422982
Revision Id: 0x100100
No Modem Function Group found
Default PCM:
    rates [0x0]:
    bits [0x0]:

But I was under the impression that once you got the message " This sound device does not have any controls." from alsamixer, that it was always a kernel problem. I assumed that'd have to be the case since it's a new install.

If I can't figure this out, what are my options? Should I use a kernel I find online if possible, re-do the installation maybe?
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: simple q Reply with quote

I'm starting to think I'm not much help but maybe try this...
simple question, but did you try going back to basics and F6 to select sound card in alsamixer? (and then F5 for all the controls and maybe even an unmute)
One of my newer machines has the useful PCM sound card as the second sound card and the default is just the HDMI out.
You might be right with the kernel problem, perhaps the codec is not there? I'm not an expert, have you searched for that particular codec for more info?
...but it seems like all your drivers and codecs are loaded, which is what you are showing in those posts, so maybe back to your original post of the settings of which is pointing to PCM.

What does a cat on
Code:
/proc/asound/devices
show?
And then each individual codecs under each card in that directory, which you already showed.

I know I got into a loop of having setting in /etc override which was the default sound card when I was removing and replacing the HDMI 'card' in that newer machine, which caused me problems with which card was the default, seems to be a common problem with the newest Intel HD cards where the default card is something less useful than what someone might expect to find.

My understanding, which may be completely incorrect, is that if the codecs and cards are listed in /proc that means it's actually loaded the driver and is available.
Especially where you show that card0 is a PCM with various rates that seem to be audio output Hz such as 44100 and 48000.

Maybe try over-riding everything and test with mplayer direct to each device [ermutation...
with some options like... "ao alsa:device=hw=1.0"

I'm guessing hw=0.0 1.0 1.1 0.1 etc might try each individual permutation?

Last edited by weeeeeeeeeee on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: also Reply with quote

if you are about to use other on-line sources, maybe try a recent live CD of some description with a recent kernel and see what it shows up with in /proc/asound and then if it outputs sound.
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: actually Reply with quote

actually, all this started with kernel problems, but it seems your drivers are installed and working for the sound card.
Is the kernel you are booting off the same as the link to the source that you compiled? Are there modules trying to be forced on top of drivers already in the kernel?

There might be more to the story in the links under /proc/asound. I think in there will be a hwdep and pcm files will show the available controls, maybe there are no controls because the driver isn't working still?.. What does a cat on hwdep and pcm show?
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I'm starting to think I'm not much help but maybe try this...
simple question, but did you try going back to basics and F6 to select sound card in alsamixer? (and then F5 for all the controls and maybe even an unmute)
Only thing I get from alsamixer is: " This sound device does not have any controls." no matter what card is chosen.

Code:

# cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
  1:        : sequencer
  4: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
 32: [ 1]   : control
 33:        : timer
 36: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent

I may not be getting the format right, but each time I try mplayer with those options I get
Code:

[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize audio driver

For the liveCD, I assume I'd need to mount it before I try that? Because I have to use liverescuecd and there was no /proc/asound directory

As to the kernel booting, I have no idea. I should only have that .config, I haven't made any backups. and I get this if it's relevant,
Code:
# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-4.0.5-gentoo *

Maybe this is more relevant, I'm unsure
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jul 29 07:03 /usr/src/linux -> linux-4.0.5-gentoo

If the date isn't todays date and I recompiled it today, does that mean that I am not using the right kernel?

Code:
# ls /proc/asound/
card0  card1  cards  devices  hwdep  NVidia  oss  PCH  pcm  seq  timers  version

Code:
# cat /proc/asound/hwdep
00-00: HDA Codec 0
01-00: HDA Codec 0

cat on pcm does nothing.
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: not so good Reply with quote

That doesn't look so good. /proc/asound/devices doesn't have any playback.

It should look something like this I think...
Code:

2: [ 0]   : control
  3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  5: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
  6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
  7: [ 0- 3]: hardware dependent

The softlink at /usr/src/linux will retain the same date.

How are you installing your kernel? It seems you might have an EFI system.
You might very well not have the codec loading because it's using an old kernel.
Are you replacing the kernel in the EFI partition when you recompile?

Also I was thinking rather than just grabbing a kernel, you would actually boot from a recent liveCD and interrogate the modules that are loaded and then make sure you have the same appear with an lsmod.
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an EFI system actually, I am not replacing any kernel in an EFI partition when I recompile. I thought the standard "make && make modules_install; make install" was all you did after changing the settings in /usr/src/linux/.config. If I'm supposed to be doing something else, that's probably where the problem lies. (I was going off of this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration#Build)

Because I seem to have issues with the gentoo minimal install, I installed using rescuelivecd from USB, which is also what I have available to check the modules. I did check after you mentioned it, but I didn't see any snd-hda-intel or snd anything. There were many more modules on the rescue disk than I normally have loaded however. speaker-test did not work from the live usb and I didn't see any applications that'd let me test sound playback.

EDIT: I have reinstalled gentoo. This time with what I believed were the correct drivers selected (all hd audio and VIA in PCI). This did not solve the issue. I also attempted to install literally all of the devices in[ sound card ---> advanced Linux sound architecture] and recompile the kernel, however this did not solve the issue either. Thanks for the help weeeeee, but I can't figure it out regardless. I assume I missed something in the wiki or manpages somewhere or I have too sparse an understanding of Linux to install gentoo properly. I will have to choose another OS, as I cannot use my desktop computer without sound.
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: place kernel in EFI partition Reply with quote

It sounds like you are installing your kernel to a boot partition but not your EFI, so it may be that you are using the initial kernel on the EFI partition and your recompiling is going to the wrong area.
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Using_UEFI

Considering you are booting already, you either already have an EFI partition and kernel, or you are booting using the old BIOS method.
Maybe read up a little more on EFI booting. It's a rather new method so the documentation isn't quite as sorted as other methods.

It would be sad to see you leave for another OS.
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just might give it another go, but I most definitely followed the UEFI instructions and made sure that I had a bootx64 file in the EFI folder during the installation. Maybe I'll try using genkernel instead of doing it manually and see if that pans out any better. It's just hard to solve a problem when you can't quite pinpoint where/what it is. I've seen neddyseagoons (and others) posts on how its a common error message from ALSA and it generally means a misconfigured kernel so maybe genkernel can come to the rescue.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using CLI alsamixer? If yes, there may be more sliders that are not displayed, you need to use arrow right to see them (and unmute). Alternatively you can run amixer from CLI, it will print all mixer values if run without options.
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are getting the EFI correct then. Have you noticed the changes when you add and remove modules?

...and indeed "buffoon"! those pesky controls to the right, I've done that one too; also remember to press F5 in the CLI alsamixer to get all of the control sliders, if it's anything like mine there will be quite a few beyond a normal sized terminal.

Also, if you unmute all the controls remember to save the control settings as the default (I use amixer) and I think from memory you have to run an alsa module to reload those settings on reboot.
Code:
 rc-update add alsasound boot
weeeeeeeeeee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again you have said previously that
Quote:
" This sound device does not have any controls." from alsamixer

Hmm, you did confirm this with that cat on
Quote:
/proc/asound/devices
did sort of suggest there was a lack of controls available.

Just a guess but those "digital audio playback" lines seem pretty important to make my example work (which should be similar to yours), and I think that corresponds to my HDMI and PCM outputs respectively on the 0 and 3 cards in my example above.

Another thing to try might be remove the audio modules entirely and try a reboot and see if it goes away, at least then you will know you are booting the correct kernel and module configuration. It will give you a chance to start from scratch too.

I probably wouldn't suggest to do this normally, but I've found a few odd things happen with EFI partitions. I know on my new machine the Microsoft OS virus that came preinstalled seems to write over the top of some kernels when I put them in specific spots on the EFI partition. Sometimes it's not very obvious which kernel the EFI booter is going to choose either without manual intervention. Mine has a lot of different EFI kernels available though.
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should only have one kernel for EFI to choose from. As there is no other operating system installed on the computer, I made sure to delete boot entries that were no longer in use with efibootmgr (due to the many reinstalls I have performed), and 'eselect kernel list' has always listed one kernel.

I don't understand what you mean by removing the audio modules entirely, since lsmod has not shown me as having any audio modules loaded despite having tried putting the audio modules as both built-in and modular.

Code:
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nvidia               8506041  34
e1000e                163385  0
x86_pkg_temp_thermal     4567  0
efivarfs                5467  1

Also, when using genkernel, I seem to be unable to even boot Gentoo normally, having to resort to using systemrescuecd's feature of booting an existing linux OS. I am unable to diagnose what is causing this, as it does not seem to even attempt to boot. It just takes me right back to the boot menu after choosing the option "Gentoo". I've spent a while in chroot assuming that I made a problem with efibootmgr, but I made sure that it was pointing to the correct kernel and initramfs. I reinstalled using genkernel once again assuming I made a typo somewhere in a filepath or forgot a step, but I experienced the exact same issue. I also made sure using genkernel --menuconfig all, that I had the kernel commandline pointing at the rootfs, that I had made my boot parition vfat instead of ext2, and that my fstab was correct. I reinstalled again using manual kernel config and I did not have this problem, I do not understand the error being made here. My hardware is fairly new, I literally just ordered it and built it, so maybe it's a problem with the hardware... but I'm more inclined to believe that I made a mistake somewhere.

EDIT: My mobo uses UEFI, but since I have no other OS's installed, do I still have to do an EFI install? Maybe a non-efi install might be a bit easier/more stable.

EDIT2: I have reinstalled gentoo once again. This time following the non-efi instructions. This has solved the issue. Thank you for both the help and the encouragement. Marking this as solved :D
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not need to reinstall for that. If you kept the UEFI boot partition you can still switch over to UEFI boot any time. And back if it doesn't work.
Cecillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for letting me know. I suppose I'm not quite used to gentoo's flexibility.
prelle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have the same problem - with a similiar configuration.

Code:
Menacor ~ # cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7200000 irq 31
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 17

Code:
Menacor ~ # cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
  4: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
 32: [ 1]   : control
 36: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent

Code:
Menacor ~ # uname -a
Linux Menacor 4.0.5-gentoo #1 SMP Wed Jul 29 00:20:44 CEST 2015 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Code:
Menacor ~ # modprobe -v snd-hda-intel
insmod /lib/modules/4.0.5-gentoo/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_hda_intel': Exec format error
prelle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prelle wrote:
I seem to have the same problem - with a similiar configuration.

And I solved it after consulting this thread. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-977296-view-next.html

Turns out I forgot to mount /boot when installing new kernel modules. So what I did to solve my issue was

mount /boot
cd /usr/src/linux
make clean
make
make modules
make modules_install
make install

and reboot. Now loading snd-hda-intel worked and was loaded directly after booting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: