Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
OTW and non social issue Linux questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Separate forum for non Gentoo but Linux oriented questions?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Don't care
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: OTW and non social issue Linux questions Reply with quote

Or: Where should I post this?

If you bring up Gentoo Forums Forum Index and read the descriptions of Gentoo Chat
Quote:
For general linux questions, see Off The Wall. ..
and Off the Wall
Quote:
Want to talk about Linux issues not related to Gentoo? ..
and then actually enter the Off the Wall forum, the General Guidlines for Off the Wall have nothing to do with non-Gentoo but Linux related questions and everything to do with being able to discuss anything {but linux}
Quote:
.. This includes political, religious, racial, ethnic, and other "sensitive" topics. ..

There is a disconnect here which makes it difficult to hope for serious answers to "sort of Linux" related questions. I recently posted Edumication req: NAS SAS and Linux {not a social issue} in OTW. Really, it's not a good fit for what is usually posted in that forum.

Yet, there doesn't seem to be any other forum where technically oriented but non-Gentoo questions can be asked.

Perhaps it's time to create such a forum?

Personally, I'm uncomfortable asking these types of technical questions in a forum with such wide ranging social {issue} discussions. Not my example, but discussing EXT4 file-system-level encryption along side Obama politics views, gay pride rejection and high-handed goverment agency shenanigans are not in the same universe.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get serious Linux answers in OTW
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a real tough one. One one hand, it is a Gentoo forum so it is basically an assumption that everyone is using Gentoo.

On the other hand, Off the Wall is really rough. It would be nice to have a forum for the non-Gentoo Linux stuff that isn't so adversarial.

Ether that, or learn rephrase the question into being Gentoo related :wink:

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even unsaid, someone asking something not gentoo related but linux related (ubuntu users and their friends) generally endup in unsupported, so basically it is the default for linux questions not gentoo related as nobody is mad enough to send anyone in OTW for no real reasons, there should be no case except to make him insane to send someone in OTW, and if you want beat him to death with lot of pain, it would be better to send him in Gentoo french section.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Even unsaid, someone asking something not gentoo related but linux related (ubuntu users and their friends) generally endup in unsupported, so basically it is the default for linux questions not gentoo related as nobody is mad enough to send anyone in OTW for no real reasons, there should be no case except to make him insane to send someone in OTW, and if you want beat him to death with lot of pain, it would be better to send him in Gentoo french section.
otw isn't that bad. if the generic linux question is formulated well. there are plenty of RH and Ubuntu users in OTW
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
otw isn't that bad. if the generic linux question is formulated well. there are plenty of RH and Ubuntu users in OTW

I think they are more JC (jerry clarson) and obamatu than anything else there ;)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "no", since I think for general linux questions, "unsupported" is the correct forum.
General means: It applies for all distributions or is perhaps about the choice of a distribution.

If you have a particular question about another distribution (like the mentioned Ubuntu), I don't think there has to be a separate forum here: You are better served in a forum/mailing list/usenet of that distribution you have a question about. If the question is about the difference of this distribution with gentoo in a specific point - well, then it is a gentoo related question.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
I voted "no", since I think for general linux questions, "unsupported" is the correct forum.
General means: It applies for all distributions or is perhaps about the choice of a distribution.

If you have a particular question about another distribution (like the mentioned Ubuntu), I don't think there has to be a separate forum here: You are better served in a forum/mailing list/usenet of that distribution you have a question about. If the question is about the difference of this distribution with gentoo in a specific point - well, then it is a gentoo related question.

The subforum in question is actual "Unsupported Software" & is specifically targeted at software to be run on Gentoo that isn't covered by the portage tree

Quote:
Unsupported Software
This forum covers all Gentoo-related software not officially supported by Gentoo. Ebuilds/software posted here might harm the health and stability of your system(s), and are not supported by Gentoo developers. Bugs/errors caused by ebuilds from overlays.gentoo.org are covered by this forum, too.

Right now there really is no other general Linux subforum & thus the consistently applied moderator action has been to move threads that are unrelated to gentoo to OTW.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
.. and if you want beat him to death with lot of pain, it would be better to send him in Gentoo french section.

Now this has possibilities!
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
The subforum in question is actual "Unsupported Software" & is specifically targeted at software to be run on Gentoo that isn't covered by the portage tree

If it is a general linux question, it also applies to gentoo, doesn't it? If necessary, one can be a bit more tolerant in this forum (and e.g. accept also technical questions about a choice of distribution). My impression is that there are not so much other topics about general linux and not related to gentoo (and not specific about another distribution) which would justify a separate forum. Pure disitribution flamewars are really better in OTW.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OTW and non social issue Linux questions Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:
If you bring up Gentoo Forums Forum Index and read the descriptions of Gentoo Chat
Quote:
For general linux questions, see Off The Wall. ..
and Off the Wall
Quote:
Want to talk about Linux issues not related to Gentoo? ..
and then actually enter the Off the Wall forum, the General Guidlines for Off the Wall have nothing to do with non-Gentoo but Linux related questions and everything to do with being able to discuss anything {but linux}
Quote:
.. This includes political, religious, racial, ethnic, and other "sensitive" topics. ..

There is a disconnect here which makes it difficult to hope for serious answers to "sort of Linux" related questions.

I concur, and voted yes for a separate forum, as the two descriptions of OTW you gave at the start, are completely wrong, as we all know.

As such there really should be a forum that does actually fulfil those descriptions.

To an extent, you can talk in Gentoo Chat about general linux (since Gentoo is a Linux distro), and you can also use portage & programming, but I've never really felt comfortable with those two (the tree and general programming) in the same forum.
Quote:
Personally, I'm uncomfortable asking these types of technical questions in a forum with such wide ranging social {issue} discussions. Not my example, but discussing EXT4 file-system-level encryption along side Obama politics views, gay pride rejection and high-handed goverment agency shenanigans are not in the same universe.

Indeed.
Let's be honest and admit what OTW really is: a dumping-ground for toxicity, so it doesn't pollute the other fora.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing more worse as those folks who come up with gentoo but it is not gentoo.
sabayon, cacluate and wahtever it is called

Really annyoing and you hardly realize it in the first place and those guys do not declare it in the first sentence also.

I never understood the opinion to ask here when it is not gentoo in the first place. The toolchain is different and the portage tree too. So why do they ask always here?

Sadly those things are hardly put in non supported.

I voted yes.

And i hope guys posting will cleary use and see it instantly that the new section is for that.

The new section should be obvious and self explanatory so those calcualte, sabayon wahtever "people" go there.
it annoys me to see something about portage and than i realize the package is not in the tree or it is some sort of shitty unsupported gentoo derivative. last time i checked the other sub gentoo derived distribution forum. Only a few posts and those were poorly answered. But i do not get the point why i install a distro which is hardly used and than bug the main distro gentoo than ! And why installing such a distro without much knowledge. you see it on those posts also from those calculate sabayon and wahtever those are called these days.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:
krinn wrote:
.. and if you want beat him to death with lot of pain, it would be better to send him in Gentoo french section.

Now this has possibilities!

Hmm... :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: