View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astroman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: emerge overwrites packages.mask Reply with quote

Whenever calling emerge rsync, the packages.mask file is overwritten which discards any changes I have done to it.
Is there a way of constantly masking/unmasking ebuilds? 'cause manually editting packages.mask everytime I emerge rsync can't be it.
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: emerge overwrites packages.mask Reply with quote

Astroman wrote:
Whenever calling emerge rsync, the packages.mask file is overwritten which discards any changes I have done to it.
Is there a way of constantly masking/unmasking ebuilds? 'cause manually editting packages.mask everytime I emerge rsync can't be it.

I don't know if it will work for unmasking but you should be able to mask stuff using your own packages.mask in $PORTDIR_OVERLAY
Astroman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is $PORTDIR_OVERLAY? it's not in the environment.
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astroman wrote:
where is $PORTDIR_OVERLAY? it's not in the environment.

put
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
to /etc/make.conf or the environment
Astroman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, thx. That's good to know.

However the much more interesting thing is how to UNmask packages permanently.
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astroman wrote:

Did masking work for you? Didn't work for me today :(
Using Portage 2.0.34
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astroman wrote:

You could just copy packages.mask somewhere safe, do emerge sync, and then copy it back. It could be put in a shell script, if you like.
Astroman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Astroman wrote:

You could just copy packages.mask somewhere safe, do emerge sync, and then copy it back. It could be put in a shell script, if you like.

That's not nice, because that way, your packages.mask won't be up-to-date. I.e. it wouldn't contain recently unmasked packages, new masks, anything.
What should be done is something like having a personal file, holding all program-names that ought to be unmasked. The packages.mask should be updated normally and be untouched by the user. emerge now needs a little more intelligence to respect the personal unmasking likings.
Astroman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirill wrote:
Astroman wrote:

Did masking work for you? Didn't work for me today :(
Using Portage 2.0.34

I haven't tried it, since I'm only interested in unmasking things at the moment.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astroman wrote:
That's not nice, because that way, your packages.mask won't be up-to-date. I.e. it wouldn't contain recently unmasked packages, new masks, anything.
What should be done is something like having a personal file, holding all program-names that ought to be unmasked. The packages.mask should be updated normally and be untouched by the user.

If foo 2.0 is masked, and you want it, and you unmask it, then "foo" goes in your personal "unmask" file. Then foo 2.1 comes out, and it gets masked. What to do? Believe the personal file? Believe the upstream mask?
Astroman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Astroman wrote:
What should be done is something like having a personal file, holding all program-names that ought to be unmasked. The packages.mask should be updated normally and be untouched by the user.

If foo 2.0 is masked, and you want it, and you unmask it, then "foo" goes in your personal "unmask" file. Then foo 2.1 comes out, and it gets masked. What to do? Believe the personal file? Believe the upstream mask?

I don't see the problem. At the end the status is that 'foo 2.0' is personally unmasked and 'foo 2.1' is masked by packages.mask, right?
Then I'd say, 2.0 is unmasked. 2.1 is masked. period.
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Astroman wrote:

Why to unmask foo, you could just unmask =foo-2.0 or even >=foo-2.0. When foo-2.1 comes out and it's masked, you'll still get it if you used >=foo-2.0 in your unmask file and it will remain masked if you only unmasked =foo-2.0.

I think that this feature will (or at least should) be implemented in PORTDIR_OVERLAY -function. Then portage would still check the official packages.mask (and packages.unmask ?? ;)) and after that check your personal ones. Well as the latest portage ebuilds say PORTDIR_OVERLAY is beta code, so I hope it will get better by time.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astroman wrote:
I don't see the problem. At the end the status is that 'foo 2.0' is personally unmasked and 'foo 2.1' is masked by packages.mask, right?
Then I'd say, 2.0 is unmasked. 2.1 is masked. period.

The syntax of packages.mask is richer than that, though, as is the universe of possible user preferences. You can mask ">= 2.0", for example. How can you tell the difference between a user that wants just one exact ebuild unmasked versus one who wants the latest and greatest? What if, for example, everything past gcc 2.95 was masked, and you wanted to install 3.1? You want updates to 3.1, like 3.1-r1, 3.1.1, but you don't want to go to 3.2?

I once proposed a profile-specific version of packages.mask, so that one could choose a "testing" profile or create a custom profile that would be appropriate for different architectures. The idea was shot down on gentoo-dev, partially in favor of the KEYWORDS feature. But another lesson I drew from Spider's message was that packages.mask is organized primarily for the convenience of developers, not for users who want to unmask things.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
packages.mask is organized primarily for the convenience of developers, not for users who want to unmask things.
Provided changes don't interfere with the developers work, that seems like a sorry excuse.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
rac wrote:
packages.mask is organized primarily for the convenience of developers, not for users who want to unmask things.
Provided changes don't interfere with the developers work, that seems like a sorry excuse.

As I read Spider's response to me, I imagined the scenario where (let's use glibc, as it happened recently) a new version of glibc comes out: 2.2.5-r7, which includes a fix for the sunrpc overflow and some other things. We unmask it because of the security issue. Lots of "atexit undefined" errors crop up. It is apparently broken. We need to remask -r7, and leave -r6 as the latest unmasked version.

Assume I am the glibc maintainer. I want to make one change to packages.mask, and have as many Gentoo users as possible see this change in policy the next time they sync their portage tree.

I do not want to have to describe the problem, hope that everybody affected by it sees it, all the while wading through all the duplicate bug reports that are a result of people whose package mask was overridden locally, and so they never saw that -r7 had been remasked.

As I user, sometimes I share the frustration. However, I understood (and I hope I will be corrected if I am putting words in Spider's mouth) that preserving packages.mask as a rapid one-way communication mechanism between developers and users when problems are discovered was considered a greater good than making testers' lives a bit easier. In this case, the developers are often better informed than the users, and I don't see it as an undue burden to force users to listen to what they have to say before actively choosing to ignore it.
taveren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of that I think this topic is referring to is, each night, I come home and run "emerge rsync" to udpate my tree. Then, I have to edit "/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask" and comment out the Mozilla entires for 1.1_beta and 1.1 since I like using the latest version and don't use Galeon, which is why 1.1 is masked in the first place. Then, I find the "gimp" entry and comment that out since the version I use is newer and I havn't had it (or its dependancies) break anything yet.

What would be nice is a file that lists the apps and versions (exactly as shown in the packages.mask file) of things that I WANT to be there. This would cause "emerge -u world" to skip over them thinking that I already have the latest version installed (which I technically do).
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read recently that drobbins is planning to implement profile-specific masking.

EDIT: went back and added link, since phong is funneling traffic to this thread.

Last edited by rac on Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: package.mask overwrites Reply with quote

I started a poll and feature request related to your request as I too have found it tedious to edit or search the package.mask file to see what ebuilds are being blocked and why.

check it out here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=83765#83765 and please vote so the developers can get an idea of how many of us would like such features.

Thanks ... Brian
Nossie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Masking ebuils Reply with quote

I am running a patched version of exim, so i don't want it to be automaticaly updated when I do an emerge sync followed by an update world.
There are also a couple of ebuilds that keep failing to build (docbook-sgml-utils-0.6.11-r2 that is needed by scrollkeeper-0.3.11-r1 for instance).

I wanted to mask those files, but i didn't want to edit package.mask everytime i did an emerge sync.
I made the following script that reads package names from a file (/etc/packages.mask, same format as package.mask) and updates the package.mask file after an emerge rsync.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

emerge rsync

echo "Updating package.mask file"
for lines in `grep '' /etc/packages.mask` ; do
    if [ "`grep -cx $lines /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask`" != 0 ]; then
        echo "$lines already masked"
    else
        echo $lines >> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
        echo "Adding $lines"
    fi
done

emerge -pu world

echo "Continue with update (Yes/no) ?"

read opt;
case "$opt" in
y)   emerge -u world ;exit ;;   
[a-z])   exit ;;
no)   exit;;
*)   emerge -u world ;exit ;;
esac

I hope this helps someone :)
Nossie
taveren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this script is nice, its the wrong way around from what I want. I have to unmask packages to do the update that I want. Running your scipt as it is, and adding the exact lines that I want to /etc/packages.mask just appends the lines to the end (obviously), but the older versions are still installed. Everytime I "emerge rsync", I have comment out certain lines in package.mask.
taveren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick hacking around and I came up with this. Ugly, ugly, ugly, but it works. :)

Code:

#!/bin/bash

emerge rsync

REAL_MASK="/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask"
NEW_MASK="/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask.new"

echo "Updating package.mask file"
for lines in `cat /etc/packages.mask` ; do
                newline="#`echo $lines`"
               cat $REAL_MASK | sed 's:'$lines':'$newline':g' > $NEW_MASK
               mv $NEW_MASK $REAL_MASK
done

emerge --pretend -u world

The file /etc/packages.mask should look something like this:

Code:

=net-www/mozilla-1.1_beta
>=net-www/mozilla-1.1
>=media-gfx/gimp-1.3.5

Those entries will be commented out in the real package.mask file.
buckminst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Yet another unmasking method Reply with quote

Having similar desires, and being similarly shot down on adding a file that would override package.mask, I created my own bash script to handle unmasking lines in package.mask

It's not exactly elegant either, but it's been working for me =)

You can find it here.

I'd post the code here, but it's long.

Hope it's useful to other people.

Sattinger's Law: "It works better if you plug it in!"
This post sponsored by: Frungy, the sport of kings!

Registered Linux User #202758 Sept/1997
smouge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got tired of manually updating /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask.

I'm using now the following method:

In /etc/make.conf I added the line:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/portage.local

Example "unmasking" a package.

I use the program bacula for making back-ups. But this one has the "~x86" defined in its ebuild (unstable package).

I copied the directory

# mkdir -p /usr/portage.local/apps-admin
# cp -R /usr/portage/apps-admin/bacula /usr/portage.local/apps-admin/bacula

In the directory /usr/portage.local/apps/admin/bacula I edited the ebuild file and changed the define "~x86" into "x86". Great, now the package installs and even after an "emerge sync" it stays unmasked.

Well, this should be nothing new to you, and I'm glad this works, especially if you want to install a newer unstable version of a program and do not want to downgrade the program after each emerge sync.

I could not find a good way to mask packages and to keep them masked, even after an "emerge sync"

However I just found a way that might not be documented.

For example you want to mask the ebuild nmap-3.27-r1

Do the following:

# mkdir -p /usr/portage.local/net-analyzer
# cp -R /usr/portage/net-analyzer/nmap /usr/portage.local/net-analyzer/nmap

now edit the ebuild /usr/portage.local/net-analyzer/nmap/nmap-3.27-r1.ebuild and change the define "x86" into "~x86" or completely remove the "x86"

After having done this your nmap-3.27-r1 is masked and willot be unmasked by an "emerge sync". Unfortunately this method can only be used to mask a specified version number. Therefore if a newer version nmap-3.28 or nmap-3.27-r2 comes out, this latest version is not masked by above mentioned method. You will have to add this new version to /usr/portage.local/net-analyzer/nmap if you want this newer version to be masked as well.

I hope this can be usefull to you.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

I know that it's easy enough now to unmask things - you just use /etc/portage/package.unmask - but have we got around to masking things on a user-level yet? For example, the situation I found myself in a while back when I wanted to mask sh-utils, fileutils and textutils in favour of coreutils?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/portage/package.mask works
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: