Help wanted for NeuroGentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chymera
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Help wanted for NeuroGentoo Reply with quote

What's going on:
For over 2 years now I've been working towards bringing neuroscience software to Gentoo, by pushing neuroscience packages to the Gentoo Science overlay, and by keeping a persistent fork of the science overlay with all my ebuilds that kind-of work, but have not been pulled by Gentoo Science yet. Over this time period I learned a lot about package management under Gentoo, and even managed to bring a few of the most essential neuroscience packages to the world of Portage.

The Problem:
Sadly, I am coming to the realization that the most complicated things about package management (patching build systems, or setting up build systems for packages where upstream uses makefiles only, maintaining more than just a dozen packages, etc.) still lie ahead of me, and I will ill be able to afford an even greater workload for this particular project - after all, I also have to set time aside for actually doing experiments and actually using the software (both non-trivial). As much as I like Gentoo and neuroscience software, my work on packaging big software distributions thus far shows that I am not a programmer, and barely even a student of programming.

What I need:
I would need the help of someone who is a real programmer, or interested in becoming one. I would be thrilled if anybody would be interested in actually writing and/or maintaining patches for software which can't build just with any of the available eclasses.

What I can offer you:
I am very enthusiastic about NeuroGentoo, and would be happy to do my best to keep it going. If the software plays nicely with the available eclasses, I have no trouble writing ebuilds. I'm happy to continue taking care of the "boring" part of the project myself.

• You can concentrate exclusively on whatver you find most interesting/challenging and on the parts where your skills would make the biggest difference.

• If you are not a neuroscientist, I can provide the background information you would need on which packages are important, up-to-date, highly regarded, etc. I also have no problem testing the ebuilds on multiple machines, digging up dependencies for whatever you are currently working on, or explaining (to whatever depth you want) how people use the softare you are working on, and what they hope to acchieve with it.

• If you are a fellow researcher, it is entirely possible that NeuroGentoo will ammount to a publication and at least a few citations further down the road.

• If you are an MSc/BSc student in Switzerland, or at a university which accepts semester projects done abroad, I would be happy to convince any of the group leaders I currently work with to offer you ECTS points for this project. You could take your pick and have this project certified either by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), or by the Psychiatric Hospital of Zurich and the University of Zurich (PUK/UZH). You could work on this project either from home or during a stay in Zurich (I can offer you office space and the possibility to participate in our lab meetings, but sadly, I cannot arrange for any reinbursment for your travel or living costs here).

• If you do not know much about Gentoo and Portage - but are interested and trust in your programming skills - I am happy to help you learn what little I know about ebuilds, in the hope that you might be able to take it from there and get further ahead than me.

If you are unable and/or uninterested in helping out with NeuroGentoo, I would still very much appreciate any advice you would have on finding possible collaborators. Putting up ads at the Uni/ETH predictably failed - few students are really comfortable with linux around here, and fewer still with Gentoo...

Thanks for reading this!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: