Updated open-vm-tools 9.10.0_ - IP address not reported
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericjohnson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Updated open-vm-tools 9.10.0_ - IP address not reported Reply with quote

Bringing a system up-to-date, installed open-vm-tools 9.10.0_p2476743 (and corresponding open-vm-tools-kmod)

Now nightly backup using Symantec's NetBackup fails. It behaves identically to not having open-vm-tools not installed at all. :(

(Update - this is apparently due to the open-vm-tools not reporting the IP address to the ESX host)

Anyone have any idea why? What can I do to fix it?

I played around with reverting to open-vm-tools-9.4.X, but I couldn't get that to work with any current stable version of the kernel.

Additional details - running latest stable kernel 4.0.5. When looking at the machine from the VMWare ESX client, it shows that the tools are properly installed. Snapshotting the VM works, including with file-system quiescing.

I filed bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=553376 , in hopes that 9.10.2 might fix the issue, but I don't know if that's the right answer.
ericjohnson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Closer to solution - IP address not reported Reply with quote

I read this thread: http://sourceforge.net/p/open-vm-tools/mailman/message/29017061/

Performing:
Code:

vmtoolsd --cmd="info-set guestinfo.ip __.__.__.__"

IP address elided

temporarily updates the ESX host to let it know the IP address. Why isn't open-vm-tools just getting this information correctly in the first place?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: