View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: firefox and SVG [SOLVED] Reply with quote

hi

Anyone else having issues with svg and Firefox?

Some things work, some don't.

For example if I load this page:
http://d1sc0tech.github.io/keyboard-layout-editor/kb.html

and click the SVG button on the right, it should generate a SVG of the keys. It works in Chrome. It works in Firefox on Linux Mint run via Virtalbox. It works in Firefox on Windows 7 run via Virtualbox.

It does not work in my native Firefox, or even in Konqueror. I have svg switch in make.conf.

Does anyone know why? I disabled AdBlock on that page.

Code:

www-client/firefox
     Available versions:  24.3.0^d 31.5.3^d 31.6.0^d 31.7.0^d ~38.0.5^d {+alsa bindist custom-cflags custom-optimization (+)dbus debug egl +gmp-autoupdate gstreamer hardened +jemalloc3 +jit libnotify +minimal neon pgo pulseaudio selinux startup-notification system-cairo system-icu system-jpeg system-libvpx system-sqlite test wifi LINGUAS="af ak ar as ast be bg bn_BD bn_IN br bs ca cs csb cy da de el en_GB en_ZA eo es_AR es_CL es_ES es_MX et eu fa fi fr fy_NL ga_IE gd gl gu_IN he hi_IN hr hu hy_AM id is it ja kk km kn ko ku lg lt lv mai mk ml mr nb_NO nl nn_NO nso or pa_IN pl pt_BR pt_PT rm ro ru si sk sl son sq sr sv_SE ta ta_LK te th tr uk vi xh zh_CN zh_TW zu"}
     Installed versions:  31.7.0^d(22:56:25 19/05/2015)(dbus gstreamer jit minimal pulseaudio -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -hardened -pgo -selinux -startup-notification -system-cairo -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libvpx -system-sqlite -test -wifi LINGUAS="en_ZA -af -ar -as -ast -be -bg -bn_BD -bn_IN -br -bs -ca -cs -csb -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -eo -es_AR -es_CL -es_ES -es_MX -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy_NL -ga_IE -gd -gl -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -hy_AM -id -is -it -ja -kk -km -kn -ko -ku -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -nb_NO -nl -nn_NO -or -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv_SE -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu")
     Homepage:            http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
     Description:         Firefox Web Browser

thanks, Ian

Last edited by iandoug on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd see if firefox-bin works first. Then it may be some library...
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I'd see if firefox-bin works first. Then it may be some library...

I installed firefox-bin, same problem.

I also tried running firefox from the command line as root (to get a different profile), also does not work.

thanks, Ian
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: firefox and SVG Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
hi

Some people have trange understanding of web authoring. If we check that site http://d1sc0tech.github.io/keyboard-layout-editor/kb.html ...
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: firefox and SVG Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
iandoug wrote:
hi

Some people have trange understanding of web authoring. If we check that site http://d1sc0tech.github.io/keyboard-layout-editor/kb.html ...

Yeah, one would think that Google and Twiitter would stick to standards. The first two errors I saw relate to Google fonts and using Bootstrap, FontAwesome, etc. I think the W3C needs to update their validator for modern practices.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to your OP, could you isolate a minimal test case showing what svg feature does not work in firefox?
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Back to your OP, could you isolate a minimal test case showing what svg feature does not work in firefox?

I have in fact downloaded modernizr and will see what it can tell me.

Here's something I found last night:

This extract works:

http://www.petercollingridge.co.uk/sites/files/peter/hover3_set_attribute.svg

So there is some SVG support. Perhaps it is a problem with the page itself then, but it's annoying that it will work in (an admittedly bare-bones) Firefox running on Mint in vitualbox, but not my own native Firefox. Perhaps some plugin is getting in the way.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
So there is some SVG support. Perhaps it is a problem with the page itself then, but it's annoying that it will work in (an admittedly bare-bones) Firefox running on Mint in vitualbox, but not my own native Firefox. Perhaps some plugin is getting in the way.

Have you tried with a clean profile ($ firefox -ProfileManager)?
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
iandoug wrote:

Have you tried with a clean profile ($ firefox -ProfileManager)?

As above, tried as root from CommandLine, root has clean profile.

I did try your command above, not sure how clean that profile was because all my plugins were there. Also didn't work. Perhaps I need to exit this instance first... :-)
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:

Using Modernizr:

Code:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>test SVG</title>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/modernizr.custom.86385.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
<h2>SVG test</h2>

<script>
if (!Modernizr.svg)
  {
    alert("No svg")
  }
else
  {
    alert("We have svg")
  }

if (!Modernizr.inlinesvg)
  {
    alert("No inlinesvg")
  }
else
  {
    alert("We have inlinesvg")
  }

if (!Modernizr.svgclippaths)
  {
    alert("No svgclippaths")
  }
else
  {
    alert("We have svgclippaths")
  }

</script>

</body>
</html>

All three tests pass.

However from the modernizr docs, this demo works properly in chrome, but is jerky/temperamental/sporadic in firefox:

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/clipPath4.svg

(click on page to start animation).
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox and SVG Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
Yeah, one would think that Google and Twiitter would stick to standards. The first two errors I saw relate to Google fonts and using Bootstrap, FontAwesome, etc. I think the W3C needs to update their validator for modern practices.

I don't think at the end Google doesn't want to follow standards, they want to be the standard...

Alas it looks like it's probably a page issue, and unfortunately it looks like an svg implementation issue.

What version of firefox does Mint use, and what version of firefox in win7? Are either using a svg plugin?

I'm using 31.7 (gentoo-stable) and it appears not to work for that one web page. It seems firefox uses its own SVG interpreter instead of using one of the svg libraries out there. Weird, dunno. I can definitely confirm firefox does parse at least some svg fine as I've written some program to write SVG and it indeed is capable of rendering it...

EDIT:

Weird, tried epiphany-3 and it also does not work on the original webpage but works on my generated SVG...
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox and SVG Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:

and click the SVG button on the right, it should generate a SVG of the keys. [...]

Did not compare with any other browser, but firefox-31.7.0 (esr, non-bin) does toggle between show/hide of the keyboard view in that grey canvas when tapping the svg button.

In case you were not familiar with firefox, you need to killall firefox && firefox -ProfileManager and create a new profile in order to get a clean one.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the behavior of 31.7 (esr, gentoo-stable) and 38.0.5 (latest, Windows XP) are different. Gentoo-stable blanks out the keyboard and 38.0.5-windows shows a skeleton. Unsure what the real picture should look like.

Anyone tried a later version of Firefox in Gentoo? Perhaps ~arch since 38.0.5 is in portage already...
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: firefox and SVG Reply with quote

[quote="charles17"]
iandoug wrote:

and click the SVG button on the right, it should generate a SVG of the keys. [...]

Did not compare with any other browser, but firefox-31.7.0 (esr, non-bin) does toggle between show/hide of the keyboard view in that grey canvas when tapping the svg button.

Windows 7 Professional Native, FF 38.0.5 : works

Windows 7 Ultimate, via VirtualBox, FF 37.0.2 and 38.0.5: works

WinXP 32bit via Virtualbox, FF 36.0.1 and 38.0.5: works

Linux Mint native, FF 36.0.4: works

Yosemite via Virtualbox: Safari (no idea which version) on does NOT work
Yosemite via Virtualbox: Firefox (new install, presume 38.0.5) works.

Gentoo Linux native, Konqueror 4.14.3: does not work
Gentoo Linux native, Firefox 31.7.0 : does not work
Gentoo Linux native, Chromium Version 43.0.2357.130 (64-bit): works

So I dunno.... :-)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing 38.0.5 on Gentoo and see if it works.
Based on all the version numbers that's reported, it seems likely that it was fixed in a later version of Firefox.
The ESR probably should get this fix backported, but that's up to Mozilla to choose...
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Yes the behavior of 31.7 (esr, gentoo-stable) and 38.0.5 (latest, Windows XP) are different. Gentoo-stable blanks out the keyboard and 38.0.5-windows shows a skeleton. Unsure what the real picture should look like.

Skeleton is correct ... it's supposed to be showing you the cutout you would need to make to build the keyboard.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Try installing 38.0.5 on Gentoo and see if it works.
Based on all the version numbers that's reported, it seems likely that it was fixed in a later version of Firefox.
The ESR probably should get this fix backported, but that's up to Mozilla to choose...

Am happy to report this works in 38.0.5 ... so will mark as solved. Curious that it worked in lower versions on Mint and Windoze though..

Thanks to all for all the suggestions.

cheers, Ian
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
Am happy to report this works in 38.0.5 ... so will mark as solved. Curious that it worked in lower versions on Mint and Windoze though..

And what's different there compared to http://i.imgur.com/Ayyz3A8.png from my last posting?
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
iandoug wrote:

And what's different there compared to http://i.imgur.com/Ayyz3A8.png from my last posting?

Apologies, did not check your image before, assumed it was showing the cutout but it does not appear to be.

Here's two samples, the SVG still has at least one bug. Someone else wrote it a while back, probably didn't test on exotic designs.

Images are wide, you may need to scroll right.

http://i.imgur.com/A9Dvf0G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BsOG9se.jpg

Cheers, Ian
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
[...] the SVG still has at least one bug. [...]
True, and many more than one. But I think the problem here is with some of the js crap used in that site.
You could try isolating the code snippet causing the problem and check which bug it is, eventually file a new bug.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: