Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Issues with kernel 4.1 and nouveau (missing glyphs in X)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apurkrt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Issues with kernel 4.1 and nouveau (missing glyphs in X) Reply with quote

So I upgraded to kernel 4.1 today, and it works - almost. In X, the nouveau driver I'm using with my GTX750Ti isn't working properly. Some glyphs are missing (i.e. I see "A e ori s" instead of "Accessories"). Also, closing Chromium segfaults X (most of the time). With 4.0.5 kernel, everything works fine.

Anybody else experiencing the same problem, have any clue what to do?
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for an essentially unhelpful post, but nVidia blob drivers /nouveu regressions cost me so much time over the years that i just refuse to install their hardware.

My last nVidia machine died a couple of years ago, (I practically cheered), nVidia had up to that point always been flakey for me on Gentoo. Something would break every few updates. I have seen others have better luck though. I think it depends on the card and a few other config issues.

When Nouveau used to beak, however, I usually found a switch to the nvidea-drivers blob would get me up reasonably stable until nouveau caught the new 'features :wink: '. esp on ~ I'd guess the blob will work.

Nouveau on stable will have less problems, for me it was constant work on ~, do you need 4.1 now?

Ian
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is stating the obvious but I guess you might check dmesg and the logs to see if you can find more clues. In particular you might find some warning or error messages which might be useful for tracking down the problem.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address the original question though, GTX-750 support is known to be broken in 4.1 under nouveau, they've only partially successfully reworked the code for native acceleration according to:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-gtx750-nouveau&num=1

Nvidia linux support is via the blob, they won't do it any other way, so nouveau is always trailing the re curve.

Linus tried screaming expletives at Nvidia a few years ago over this, nothing changed.

F**k you Nvidia :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: