[SOLVED] Gentoo Installation With UEFI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredbear5150
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Gentoo Installation With UEFI Reply with quote

I have two IBM Thinkpads (X220 and Y500) on which I want to do Gentoo UEFI installations, I do not care about Secure Boot, dual-booting with Windows or encrypted partitions. I have tried following Sakaki's Guide but when it gets to using the buildkernel scripts, the installation veers off to be one I don't want - for example, I want my EFI kernel on the laptop, not on a separate USB stick. (Nor all the Windows dual boot and encryption stuff.)

I should say that I have been installing Gentoo for years and I did do a successful UEFI install about 18 months ago on a PC I have since got rid of. There was a really good guide kicking about that got you to boot in legacy mode and get everything running, then set up an EFI kernel on a bootable USB stick, boot on that and then convert the system itself to UEFI. Unfortunately that guide seems to have disappeared and surpassed by Sakaki's Guide.

The Gentoo Handbook does not help with this either. It implies that the Minimal Installation image should allow UEFI booting from CD but that does not appear to work. I tried it first trying to boot from a USB stick, but couldn't get it to boot in UEFI on either laptop. I created the stick with the Minimal Image and unetbootin, it doesn't boot on either laptop. As a test, I downloaded Manjaro XFCE and built a USB stick with that, that does boot in UEFI on either laptop. I also burnt the Gentoo Minimal image to CD but couldn't get that to boot in UEFI mode either. My assumption therefore is that Sakaki's Guide is right and the Gentoo Handbook is wrong in that the Minimal Installation CD does not contain a bootable EFI kernel.

Can anyone offer any additional help with this one? I did read Thinkpad X220 guide and it talks about creating a bootable System Rescue CD from which to do the installation. Is that the way to do it here? Or does anyone have that guide that shows you how to do a build in Legacy mode and then convert to UEFI using the kernel on a USB stick method?

Last edited by fredbear5150 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldPanther
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this Live USB as the installation media and followed the handbook. The Live USB is based on Gentoo and all went well (I also tried and failed to install with a CD).
Frustie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the question is which installation cd boots with an UEFI bios.

About two days ago i received an Asrock QC5000-ITX board which has the UEFI bios.

i've 'dd\'ed' http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/gentoo/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20150618/install-amd64-minimal-20150618.iso onto a usb stick.

Booting this worked without any issues.

Following the documentation use parted to create the partitions and leave 2mb for the bios.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System Rescue Cd is better in all circumstances. The mins just don't have the hardware support.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
fredbear5150
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank your for the advice about SystemRescueCD, I have created a USB stick with the ISO image that successfully boots in UEFI mode - so the rest of the installation should be straightforward from this point.

Marked thread as [SOLVED].
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: