View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trovalds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox emake failed Reply with quote

Hi

I'm setting up a new Gentoo in a virtualbox machine, everything's ok until I tried to up Xorg-server.

virtualbox driver refuses to compile, I tried many things but it refuses to compile.

build.log paste: https://bpaste.net/show/e7a5c073dfdb (not pasted here, around 5.000 lines)

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry my english, not my native language)

Last edited by Trovalds on Wed May 27, 2015 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some packages depend on /usr/src/linux pointing to the kernel source code you compiled for the virtual machine. So, you need the kernel tree that you build for vbox that will use the vbox video driver there. If you didn't build the target kernel there or have a link (or used eselect) then it will complain about not finding the needed configuration.
Trovalds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Some packages depend on /usr/src/linux pointing to the kernel source code you compiled for the virtual machine. So, you need the kernel tree that you build for vbox that will use the vbox video driver there. If you didn't build the target kernel there or have a link (or used eselect) then it will complain about not finding the needed configuration.

Thanks on rapid answer.

Can you show me how to do this, exactly? I compiled my kernel using genkernel. Just (re)compile the kernel inside /usr/src/linux?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your kernel build is linked to /usr/src/linux and try the build again.

Not sure how you built the kernel but usually /usr/src/linuxsomething..... contains the kernel tree and there's a symlink from that to /usr/src/linux. There's also a link in /lib/modules/(version)/build that points back to where you compiled the kernel (after a modules_install) that should link the version to the kernel tree.
Trovalds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck yet... any other solution?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-3.18.12-gentoo'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo >&2 ; \
/bin/false)

Directly says, it's an issue of it not finding the running kernel's source code as eccerr0r just mentioned...

So first off, what's the output of uname -r and ls -l /usr/src/linux. They should match, like on my system I have:
Code:
ct85711@Oate ~ $ uname -r
3.18.5-gentoo
ct85711@Oate ~ $ ls -l /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Feb 14 20:42 /usr/src/linux -> linux-3.18.5-gentoo

If you unmerged your running kernel's source code, you will have to compile & boot into a different kernel before you compile virtualbox.
Trovalds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
Quote:
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-3.18.12-gentoo'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo >&2 ; \
/bin/false)

Directly says, it's an issue of it not finding the running kernel's source code as eccerr0r just mentioned...

So first off, what's the output of uname -r and ls -l /usr/src/linux. They should match, like on my system I have:
Code:
ct85711@Oate ~ $ uname -r
3.18.5-gentoo
ct85711@Oate ~ $ ls -l /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Feb 14 20:42 /usr/src/linux -> linux-3.18.5-gentoo

If you unmerged your running kernel's source code, you will have to compile & boot into a different kernel before you compile virtualbox.

Ok, tried on a new, fresh virtual machine... manually build my kernel instead of genkernel it.

uname -r and ls -l /usr/src/linux returns:

Code:
3.18.12-gentoo

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Mai 26 03:07 /usr/src/linux -> linux-3.18.12-gentoo

New paste (same error): https://bpaste.net/show/1646d6b026d7

Note on initial ebuild:

Code:
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found kernel object directory:
 *     /lib/modules/3.18.12-gentoo/build
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     3.18.12-gentoo
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fsck. pretexted by bad searching

This is the real error:

Code:
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.18/work/vboxvideo_drm/vboxvideo_drm.c:125:17: error: drm_mmap undeclared here (not in a function)

I'm only guessing here as I do not use this software. Did you enable DRM and the virtual driver in the kernel you compiled?
Trovalds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some research, blablabla... this error sounds like a bug after all. I unmasked latest version of driver (4.3.28 ) and... gotcha, no errors.

Thank you everyone that helps here.
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trovalds wrote:
After some research, blablabla... this error sounds like a bug after all. I unmasked latest version of driver (4.3.28 ) and... gotcha, no errors.

Thank you everyone that helps here.

Ok, I'm also running into an error with this .. i'm using 4.3.28 << ---

Quote:
/lib/modules/4.1.0-gentoo/build/include/linux/compiler.h:213:29: error: can’t set ‘no_instrument_function’ attribute after definition
static __always_inline void __write_once_size(volatile void *p, void *res, int size)
^
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/alloc/heapsimple.o] Error 1
kmk: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/alloc/heapoffset.o] Error 1
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/alloc/alloc.o] Error 1
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/checksum/crc32.o] Error 1
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/checksum/alt-md5.o] Error 1
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/err/RTErrConvertToErrno.o] Error 1
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/checksum/ipv6.o] Error 1
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/checksum/crc64.o] Error 1
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28/work/VirtualBox-4.3.28/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/RuntimeGuestR0/common/checksum/ipv4.o] Error 1
kmk: *** Exiting with status 2
* ERROR: x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-4.3.28::gentoo failed (compile phase):
* emake failed

Any suggestions ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: