kde-sunset and the kde-base/kde-apps switch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: kde-sunset and the kde-base/kde-apps switch Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been trying to figure out an annoying issue that cropped up when they arbitrarily changed some packages from kde-base to kde-apps some time ago.

I'm still using KDE3.5 via the kde-sunset overlay, and have this problem where emerge tries to re-install several packages:
Code:
# emerge -upv --deep --with-bdeps=y world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/libkonq-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kdialog-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kdesu-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kompare-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kate-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kcharselect-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kreadconfig-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.10-r1:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="samba -debug -hal -kdehiddenvisibility -ldap -openexr" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kfind-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-debug -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="opengl -arts -debug -ieee1394 -joystick -kdehiddenvisibility -logitech-mouse" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/konqueror-3.5.10:3.5::kde-sunset  USE="-branding -debug -java -kdehiddenvisibility" 0 KiB

Total: 12 packages (12 new), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20140508::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> (28 Mar 2015)
# on behalf of gx86-multilib project <multilib@gentoo.org>
# Removed lastrited emul-linux-x86. The mask is kept post-removal
# per Arfrever's request so that the PM warns about masked packages
# being installed.

- app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-cpplibs-20140508::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs-20140508-r3::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs-20140508-r12::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.14.14::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/etc/portage/package.mask:
#=app-text/poppler-0.26.5

- sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.12.21-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.17.8-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.17.7::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.15.3::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-opengl-20140508::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

All of these fail to install due to file conflicts - This is because they are already installed!

I have finally figured out this is because *something* (I suspect emerge --sync) has renamed ALL of those packages to kde-apps/* on my system so the system no longer thinks they are installed.

I have looked in the /var/lib/portage/world file but there were only 4 things that were changed to kde-apps (Ironically those weren't in the list of programs to (re-)install and, after making the changes to the world file, they now are!)

So, after all that excessively verbose exposition, what I'd like some help with is:

1) Where else are installed packages logged so I can reverse the kde-base->kde-apps rename?

2) How can I stop emerge --sync (Assuming that's what is doing this) from unilaterally renaming kde-base to kde-apps and FUBAR'ing up my system?

Thanks in advance!!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, someone needs to step up and adapt kde-sunset overlay to the in-tree changes. Right now it seems to have no maintainer and is in danger of being removed from layman.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is true but unlikely to happen. It's also off-topic.

TBH it shouldn't matter; The problem is someone has put in a quick-and-dirty script that has changed something on the existing system without checking whether it belonged to the main tree or not. This is pretty terrible practice and is the sort of thing that will also cause major problems for people who haven't run emerge --sync for a long time.

If I could just get my hands on the script that is doing this rename... It must be very specific as it only does it for certain kde-base packages, not all.

It must have been implemented some time ago as I can't see anything obvious in recent changelogs or bugs :(
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
The problem is someone has put in a quick-and-dirty script that has changed something on the existing system without checking whether it belonged to the main tree or not.

It's a simple package move in preparation of providing smooth KDE4 to KDE Applications 5 updates. No quick-and-dirty, all well planned using portage features.
Cyker wrote:
This is pretty terrible practice and is the sort of thing that will also cause major problems for people who haven't run emerge --sync for a long time.

No, the _only_ problem is when you are using unmaintained, outdated overlays. :roll:
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-HA!

Well I think I found the answer to 1)

It appears the changes were made to the directory structure in /var/db/pkg

Annoyingly there is at least one file (called CATEGORY) in each sub-dir that has also been altered to "kde-apps"

Is it safe to "mv kde-apps kde-base" and then replace all the CATEGORY files with ones containing kde-base?

Is there anywhere else in there I'd need to locate "kde-apps" and change them too?
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm, I appreciate your point of view, but unless you have some helpful or constructive advice to add, I'd respectfully request you to not just post here for the sake of trying to start an argument.

Cheers.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker, that wouldn't have been necessary without your remarks.

Cyker wrote:
but unless you have some helpful or constructive advice to add

I think I added exactly that. Make the necessary changes to your local kde-sunset clone (shouldn't take more time than messing around with /var/db/), push them upstream, and save your overlay from being wiped off of layman.

Last edited by asturm on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is more insidious than I thought; It's also altered DEPEND and RDEPEND links in other files to make them point to the kde-apps versions...

Ugh, this is going to be a PITA to untangle...

I wonder if I can get away with putting these packages in package.provided and ignoring the whole problem?

Knowing my luck it will come around and bite me in the proverbials later...

For now, lets see what happens if I reverse all those changes...
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
For now, lets see what happens if I reverse all those changes...

This is a completely backwards approach.

You need to work _with_ portage not against it, otherwise
1) you waste much more time with reversing the changes than applying them to kde-sunset
2) no one else using kde-sunset overlay will be able to benefit from that work, and next thing that happens is its removal
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
It appears the changes were made to the directory structure in /var/db/pkg

Annoyingly there is at least one file (called CATEGORY) in each sub-dir that has also been altered to "kde-apps"

Is it safe to "mv kde-apps kde-base" and then replace all the CATEGORY files with ones containing kde-base?

Is there anywhere else in there I'd need to locate "kde-apps" and change them too?

I think you should really look at doing some package moves in the same way as the portage tree does them.

I've never had to actually do that, but take a look in /usr/portage/profiles/updates/ to see what I mean.

If you want advice, your best bet is IRC: chat.freenode.net and: /join #gentoo-portage

genstorm is right in terms of the overlay itself: if it's overlaying on top of a gentoo tree, which will have dependencies and blocks based on the category/package name, then the ebuilds need to change directories.
(OFC his manners suck, as usual, but that's not something you can do anything about, so don't worry about it. ;)

That just doesn't take care of the vdb, which package (and slot) moves do.

An alternative to doing that, if you just want a local fix, is to clear out the system (ie: emerge -Cq the packages which are changing), and rebuild the DE, once the overlay ebuilds have been moved, and re-manifested. (repoman manifest in the ebuild directory.)

However if you want it to work smoothly for all overlay users, as well as yourself, you'd need to sort out package moves.
IIRC overlays now support a profile dir, but ask in #gentoo-portage (Arfrever knows the most about the new setup in code terms.)

Good luck, whatever you decide.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
(OFC his manners suck, as usual, but that's not something you can do anything about, so don't worry about it. ;)

You're one to talk. ;)

If debunking myths is bad manners, then so be it.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right; It's only taken me 6 months but I've finally fixed the stupid Overlay! \:D/

Now what?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and they used kde-sunset happily ever after? Can't see any changes in kde-sunset.git, though.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well since nobody's answering anything, the current snapshot as of today is:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/kde-sunset.git/snapshot/kde-sunset-65a696dce0807014a4b16366aab7bbfca585442a.tar.bz2

And the patchfile is http://pastebin.com/MS7q5wZG

KDE3.5 forevaaarrrr! (At least until TDE comes to Portage...)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really look into getting these changes inside the overlay so every user profits. Unfortunately, no one ever reacted to the call for maintenance, so it has been removed from layman overlay lists. Perhaps a mail to gentoo-desktop list would get you started.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: